• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What A Drunk Laptop Looks Like

I fired up my laptop Saturday morning to be greeted by a very pretty screen, but expensive, BSOD...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	blue_screen_by_twofortheprice.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	798364
    It finally succumbed to an excessive serving of Merlot. I tried the diagnostics available, but to no avail, it would not boot. So, I went out and bought another laptop, and swore to keep it on the wagon. It's a Win8, and a bit of a run around compared with Win7. I haven't decided if I like it yet.

• LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

This is getting a lot of talk on boards that I frequent, from anyone stuck with h8 as it is nicknamed:

You can bring back the start button.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Window 8 another reason I am looking at Apple. From what I have seen with both my iPhone 4s and my iPad mini thing a so much simpler with Apple. Going over to look at my Sister in Law's iMac later this, finally found a use for her, she has something I am thinking of buying and would like to try out first.

Tom

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

LOML's LT has 8 and I do not like it, not one little bit. I have been thinking about using the Classic Shell on it--if she wants it of course.

I really hope MS hurries up with Blue and it does what it's rumored to do and brings back the Start button and boot to desktop. Windows' days are numbered, no matter what they do.
        Joe

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have not used 8 yet. Just getting used to Win 7 which I do like a lot.

Makes you wonder who was in the focus groups that thought these drastic changes to Windows was a good idea. Maybe they were a bunch of Apple moles.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            I have not used 8 yet. Just getting used to Win 7 which I do like a lot.

Makes you wonder who was in the focus groups that thought these drastic changes to Windows was a good idea. Maybe they were a bunch of Apple moles.
            WIN7 is my favorite Windows yet. I really do like it.

That's just it--I truly don't think MS listens to any feedback. Truly believe that, not just a rant. Going back to Vista, the biggest problem for me wasn't the lack initial driver support or crappy UI, it was taking away a lot of customization ability for the end user. The approach seemed to be "We know how people want to do things and this is it, and you can't change it". WIN7 seemed to correct that and then they went right back to that mentality with 8. You shouldn't need to add third party stuff to get it to work the way you want it to.
            Joe

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Hilarious! That is what Eric T was accused of doing while on Apple's B-O-D.!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                WIN7 is my favorite Windows yet. I really do like it.

That's just it--I truly don't think MS listens to any feedback. Truly believe that, not just a rant. Going back to Vista, the biggest problem for me wasn't the lack initial driver support or crappy UI, it was taking away a lot of customization ability for the end user. The approach seemed to be "We know how people want to do things and this is it, and you can't change it". . .
                I remember reading an interview with Ballmer concerning Vista about 3 or 4 years ago and he said "We learned that we can't just make something and throw it over the fence and people would accept it."

I read that two or three times, thought I bookmarked it, but could not find it a few months later. I could not find it is a search anywhere. I thought it was revealing a change in MS philosophy, but not sure it did.

"it was taking away a lot of customization ability for the end user."
                Hey, they were trying to copy Apple!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Balmer is a 4 letter word in Sacramento right now.

Tom

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                    LOML's LT has 8 and I do not like it, not one little bit. I have been thinking about using the Classic Shell on it--if she wants it of course.

I really hope MS hurries up with Blue and it does what it's rumored to do and brings back the Start button and boot to desktop. Windows' days are numbered, no matter what they do.
                    I don't know what I clicked, but I can get a start up desktop with icons instead of tiles.

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

I think during setup there is a choice of what you want to have start button or on screen buttons. Don't know for sure but that is what I read or heard. I think they are trying to make like Smart phone will all the apps on the desktop. Also I think 8 was designed for the new computer with the touch screens. With a technically challenge wife in need to make every as simple as possible another reason to go Apple he phone, tablet and computer would all look and function the same. What is scary is my 2.5 year old grandson know how to navigate a iphone or ipad. He know where to find the games and how to start them. His 9 year old sister also she help LOML get going on here iPad. It has been amazing how the youngster seem to know how to make these thing go, they have no problem with these machines. I think it has to do with fear, adults seem to be more intimidated than the kids when it comes to this stuff, the seem to pick it up faster.

Tom
                      Last edited by TB Roye; 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...