• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

What Is It About Cats?

When it comes to household pets, some love cats and some hate them. What is it about cats? Commentary from both sides of the love/hate relationship are welcomed.

• ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I'm pretty fond of cats but, when it came to making a decision about which I wanted for companionship, I chose a mid sized dog - a Cavachon. I know you will ask so, it's a cross of a Prince Charles Spaniel and a Bishon Friese. Cats are pretty variable in disposition with regard to whether or not they will give you any attention or affection. A pup, at least, will be happy to see a gorilla! So, I chose the later for the invariability of the 'happy to see ya' factor. That's his actual kennel pic but we changed his name to 'Buddy' in honor of our greatest dog (a German Shepherd, no less)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ironhat; 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM. Reason: Added info about his name.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Cats? I can take them or leave them. We bought another German Shepherd pup about a year ago. Wow! We forgot how much you have to put up with sometimes. Her name is Gracie, aka "Wild Thing". She's still a puppy, unlike our other dog who was mature at 6 months. But still better than a cat. No dog? We might have a cat then.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

The wife has always been a cat lover and I have come around to like having them around. We have a pair of Turkish Vans, very much 1-2 person cats. Athena will head to one of her hiding spots when anyone she doesn't know is in the house. Airstream, so named because I found him abandoned in the battery compartment of our Airstream at 6 days old, will stand his ground. If a most people try to pet him, he growls like a dog and will bite! My son's call him Spawn of Satin and Psycho Kitty.

We also have a Pit mix and a Bichon Frise. The Pit gets along with both cats. The Bichon and Airstream are great fiends. Athena wants no part of him.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Y'all can have your cats. Please keep them from roaming the neighborhood and esp. keep them out of my yard. Leash laws generally apply to cats, too, but some cat owners willfully ignore them.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-02-2013, 02:29 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Y'all can have your cats. Please keep them from roaming the neighborhood and esp. keep them out of my yard. Leash laws generally apply to cats, too, but some cat owners willfully ignore them.
            A real cat lover at heart...I can tell by how you want them protected, and looking out for their welfare.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
              Cats are pretty variable in disposition with regard to whether or not they will give you any attention or affection. A pup, at least, will be happy to see a gorilla! So, I chose the later for the invariability of the 'happy to see ya' factor. That's his actual kennel pic but we changed his name to 'Buddy' in honor of our greatest dog (a German Shepherd, no less)

Hey, hey, hey...maybe your cat(s) don't greet you, but mine do. It's all in how you interact with them. I come home and there they are, doing figure eights around my legs. Of course this happens if they wake up from their naps, and are in the mood to greet me.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

We have a dog and a cat. Both of them are rescues. The cat rules the dog( 100lb King Shepard) except when it comes to the dogs dinner. The cat gets to be a PITA but she has grown on me. Wakes me up at 4:30am during the week( usually with-in seconds of my alarm going off) but leaves me alone on week ends. No mice in the house but when we had a small ant problem, she would just follow them around the house. She stays in doors unless she comes out on the deck with us-she is scared to go further. My daughter has connected with her. They are always together and that's just fine with me.
                From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                  We have a dog and a cat. Both of them are rescues. The cat rules the dog( 100lb King Shepard) except when it comes to the dogs dinner.
                  We have two dogs and three cats. One of the cats is the alpha animal of all of them. She rules the dogs and other cats. She will go after one or both of the dogs if they irritate one of the other cats. It's really funny to watch a 10LB cat chase a 100LB dog around the house.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    A real cat lover at heart...I can tell by how you want them protected, and looking out for their welfare.

you got it exactly.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      Please keep them from roaming the neighborhood and esp. keep them out of my yard. Leash laws generally apply to cats, too, but some cat owners willfully ignore them.
                      If your area gets overrun with cats, they may rename Katy, Texas to Kitty Texas.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

In high school I worked on the research farm for a well-known pet food manufacturer. In my building we had over 400 cats in individual cages, and my job was to clean each and every litter box for each and every cat.

I'm a dog person.

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

An old survival instructor told us " I love cats, taste just like chicken".

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                            • Grizzly G1023SL

Enjoy ...

I thought I would offer this up ... enjoy

Sad Cat Diary

There is one for Sad Dogs as well .... left for those interested in the search ...
                            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                            Bade Millsap
                            Bulverde, Texas
                            => Bade's Personal Web Log
                            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
                              I thought I would offer this up ... enjoy

Sad Cat Diary

There is one for Sad Dogs as well .... left for those interested in the search ...
                              I knew it...I just knew it that cats kept a diary.

Comment

Working...