• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Ticket Prices

As a lark I checked ticket prices for the upcoming Heat game. Standing room only is $248.00, and if you have the means...Flagship South (down front) is only $8000.00.

Makes you wonder why the players only have 4 or 5 sports cars and just a multimillion dollar home. Ticket prices for most sporting events have gone crazy. I'm surprised they get any attendance. If it's not blacked out, I can watch much better at home.

Last edited by cabinetman; 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM.
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Going to games has zero appeal to me. Why fight crowds, stand in line for the bathroom, pay an arm and a leg for parking, pay $10+ for beverages...

HDTV and ticket prices are really going to hurt sports teams in the long run. I can sit on my couch and get an awesome picture, eat my own food, pause the game to go to the bathroom, drink much cheaper, etc.
    Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

watching at home you don't get to see the cheerleaders. In houston the cheerleaders are worth looking at. The come out on the court and perform when the network shows commercials during timeouts.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Crockett
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Buffalo, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

If only people would be willing to pay those prices (or any price for that matter) to watch us do our jobs...

It would be nice to have cheerleaders too.....
        Al

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

The big money in sporting events, in general, is in the broadcast rights anyway. Not saying the "gate" isn't important (full stands look better on TV), and the concessions are typically leased with a percentage off the top going to the house. One of the race tracks I have worked at had a 30% scrape on the concessions--a great reason to fill the seats.

In that place, one of the major sanctioning bodies charged a significant sum to rent the facility, had the full TV revenue and a large piece of the gate. The track got the rest of the gate, parking, and their concessions. Staffing hundreds of people (many of whom ended up at overtime pay for a 3 day event), renting life-flight helicopters and ambo's, facility prep and maintenance, contracts for police departments for security/traffic, promotion expenses, and who knows what else--makes it difficult to break even at many facilities in that setting. The dollars are huge but the margins can be very thin. The "stick and ball" sports do better, I think.

In any event, it's been great to have an opportunity to see inside some large scale events. Makes me happy to only have to protect life and property and not have bottom-line responsibility!!

earl

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by JoeyGee
            Going to games has zero appeal to me. Why fight crowds, stand in line for the bathroom, pay an arm and a leg for parking, pay $10+ for beverages...

HDTV and ticket prices are really going to hurt sports teams in the long run. I can sit on my couch and get an awesome picture, eat my own food, pause the game to go to the bathroom, drink much cheaper, etc.
            +1. I don't go to games either. I haven't paid a gate fee at even a motorsport event for at least 20 years. I used to attend the 12 Hours Of Sebring every year (when able) up until about the mid 80's when the gate fee exceeded $50.

If possible, it's a cool experience to attend an event live just for the experience, but paying high prices IMO, is definitely a deterrent.

Comment

Working...