• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deetee
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2013

Delta XL-10

Hello all,

This is my first post on what seems like a great resource. I stumbled onto this page while searching for information on a used delta xl-10 table saw. The seller is asking 150$ and from the photos it is in great condition. My only real concern is that it lacks the blade guard and splitter assembly. Being a very novice woodworker mainly doing small projects around the house the safety of the saw is the only thing holding me back.

I guess my main question is: is this a good saw for the price?

Thanks,

Dave
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I have the 36-979, which was a newer model Delta contractor saw. The one you're looking at is also known as the 36-380. According to what I've found, the one you're looking at probably has stamped steel wings and is a right tilt. The price seems pretty good, and Lee on the boards here probably makes a Shark Guard for it.

Unless you are in a hurry to get a saw, you may want to wait a little to see if a nice Ridgid comes up on CL. I've seen them in the 300-350 range on occasion, and a lot of times they have a mobile base built in. I believe they would be left tilt (which I believe to be a little safer), and may have cast wings instead of the stamped steel.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Deetee
      Handtools only
      • Jun 2013

I'm in no hurry at all, just looking for the best bang for the buck. I want to get into wood working but my wallet is fighting me about it. I'll keep searching the classifieds. Craigslist for the Ottawa area is pretty dead. Thanks a lot for the advice, much appreciated.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Deetee
        Hello all,

This is my first post on what seems like a great resource. I stumbled onto this page while searching for information on a used delta xl-10 table saw. The seller is asking 150$ and from the photos it is in great condition. My only real concern is that it lacks the blade guard and splitter assembly. Being a very novice woodworker mainly doing small projects around the house the safety of the saw is the only thing holding me back.

Thanks,

Dave
        Originally posted by JSUPreston
        I have the 36-979, which was a newer model Delta contractor saw. The one you're looking at is also known as the 36-380. According to what I've found, the one you're looking at probably has stamped steel wings and is a right tilt. The price seems pretty good, and Lee on the boards here probably makes a Shark Guard for it.

Unless you are in a hurry to get a saw, you may want to wait a little to see if a nice Ridgid comes up on CL. I've seen them in the 300-350 range on occasion, and a lot of times they have a mobile base built in. I believe they would be left tilt (which I believe to be a little safer), and may have cast wings instead of the stamped steel.
        +1. I agree. It might be worthwhile to keep an eye out for a contractors type saw.

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by cabinetman
          +1. I agree. It might be worthwhile to keep an eye out for a contractors type saw.

Good catch, C'man. I thought that the 380 the OP was looking at was a contractor's saw.

Now that I've looked at the parts breakdown, it's a direct drive saw, and toolpartsdirect.com indicates that there is no replacement motor available if the original dies. From that standpoint, the saw is really no different from any other benchtop saw. Not really worth the $150, especially since a new benchtop saw is about the same price. So, I'll retract my earlier statement that it's good for the money. I would wait if at all possible. My apologies for the confusion.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.

I'm in no hurry at all, just looking for the best bang for the buck. I want to get into wood working but my wallet is fighting me about it. I'll keep searching the classifieds. Craigslist for the Ottawa area is pretty dead. Thanks a lot for the advice, much appreciated.
            Had to look at the map, since my Canadian geography is a little foggy...have you looked around in New York State or Montreal?

I feel your pain about Craigslist. I'm in the state capital of Alabama, and all the good deals are usually at least 1.5 hours away.

Comment

• Deetee
              Handtools only
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by JSUPreston
              Had to look at the map, since my Canadian geography is a little foggy...have you looked around in New York State or Montreal?

I feel your pain about Craigslist. I'm in the state capital of Alabama, and all the good deals are usually at least 1.5 hours away.
              About two hours from Montreal. I'm going to pass on the delta. I found a listing for a ridgid ts2424 for 300$ in my area. Hoping it's still for sale as it is a belt driven saw and on the ridgid caster system. If that one is still listed what do you guys think about that saw?

Thanks for the advice everyone, it really is great to have knowledgeable people to ask about all this.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

About two hours from Montreal. I'm going to pass on the delta. I found a listing for a ridgid ts2424 for 300$ in my area. Hoping it's still for sale as it is a belt driven saw and on the ridgid caster system. If that one is still listed what do you guys think about that saw?

Thanks for the advice everyone, it really is great to have knowledgeable people to ask about all this.
                good basic TS. 1.5 hp dual voltage motor, left tilt and the rails can be slid to the right easily for additional rip capacity, albeit at the expense of not being able to use the front tape (but i never use the tape on either my ridgid 2412 or c-man 113 series mounted t2 fence). and those older gray colored ridgids have emerson electric US made motors and carry lifetime a guaranty against manufacturing defects that are tool, not owner, specific. $200 -250 is a good deal. in my area, $300 is a bit rich for that saw, although they do routinely appear on CL in my area for that much.

i like my ridgid TS and find there isn't much it can't handle.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • Barrie ON Canada
                  • BT 3000

Hi Deetee, have you tried kijiji? I watched for about a month and got an excelent deal on a delta 36-650C in pristine condition for $150. Regards Bob

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I stumbled onto this page while searching for information on a used delta xl-10 table saw.
                    "Good prices" will vary in different areas. If you are in a large city, that's probably a decent price. Around here, a mid sized city, not so much.

Are you particularly looking for that saw, or just a good used table saw? You may want to look at the BT3X saws. Typically they can be purchased used for $50 to $150, the Sears updated equivalent can be purchased new for $400 or less on sale. They are great saws and have features normally found only on very high end saws. If you are looking for a saw for home amateur use or small pro shop use, you will likely be happier with a BT3X than anything else you can find used in the $200 or less range. You might get lucky and stumble across that $100 Unisaw, but it's really unlikely.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

IIRC, that particular Delta is a compact saw that's smaller than a full contractor saw and has a direct drive universal motor (with small cog belt).....sibling of the 36-600, TP300, 34-370, etc. If that's correct, it might be worth $150 (max IMO), but don't confuse it with a full size contractor saw with a belt drive induction motor. As Cabinetman suggested, a good full size saw has much better potential, and should be available in the same price range.

Is this the saw?

Some better choices:
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Deetee
                        Handtools only
                        • Jun 2013

Update

Well I picked up the ridgid 2424 for 290$ (i'm a terrible hagler). The good news is it looks pretty much new. Almost no rust on the table top, everything else in great shape. Looking forward to getting some projects started once i organize my tiny, tiny, tiny shop around it. First of those being an outfeed table...

Anyhow just wanted to update you guys and thank you all again for the advice.

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Better saw IMO, though I know it's pushing your boundaries a bit. Grizzly has a free online shop planner that puts everything to scale...very easy to use, and a lot easier than experimenting by rearranging everything by hand.
                          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...