• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Should Have Known

One of our cats had to have some minor surgery yesterday. It's been many years since I had to dispense medications to a cat. I came up with a few solutions other than these tips that I found on the internet about giving a cat a pill...

Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered Doulton figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed, force cat's mouth open with small wrench. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet mignon. Hold head vertically and pour ½ pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture store on way home to order new table.

With all that in mind, I figured out some simpler ways. Take the pill and place into the end of a straw. Hold the cat lovingly while making purring sounds. When the cat seems relaxed, place the end of the straw with the pill, in its mouth, and with the other end shoot the pill to the back of its mouth like a blow gun.

Well, that didn't work too well. The pill kept falling out of the straw, and the cat swats the straw.

The next idea worked very well. Crush the pill into a powder and mix in with wet cat food about the size of a small marble. However you get its mouth open, take the food and push it up against the roof of the mouth. I only have to do this twice a day for a week. Are there better suggestions?

• eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

Pill Pockets! The only way that I can give my neighbor's cats their meds when their mom and dad are gone.
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer

Pill Pockets! The only way that I can give my neighbor's cats their meds when their mom and dad are gone.
      We use Pill Pockets with one of our dogs. He was on to us from the beginning so we try to switch it up. He did not go for the crushed up pill in the food. One taste was all it took.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        We use Pill Pockets with one of our dogs. He was on to us from the beginning so we try to switch it up. He did not go for the crushed up pill in the food. One taste was all it took.
        We also have 2 dogs. Giving dogs a pill is easy. We just cut a little chunk of hot dog, pierce one end, and shove the pill in it. They love it.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I'd have never guessed that pill pockets existed, learned something today. I found out years ago the way to make dogs take pills was to put in in their food, and feed it to them in the bowl next to another dog at the same time. They are in such a hurry to whoof it down so they can eat the others food that they never chew or taste it, and it is gone in seconds. Cats are another thing though. I like the joke that uses a cat to clean a toilet, really cute, but produces a really pissed off cat.

capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

C-man, your story reminded me of this video (Cat Claws Cop):

Originally posted by cabinetman
            We also have 2 dogs. Giving dogs a pill is easy. We just cut a little chunk of hot dog, pierce one end, and shove the pill in it. They love it.

Originally posted by capncarl
            I found out years ago the way to make dogs take pills was to put in in their food, and feed it to them in the bowl next to another dog at the same time. They are in such a hurry to whoof it down so they can eat the others food that they never chew or taste it, and it is gone in seconds.
            I wish both of these worked with this dog (Watson). He's not a gobbler, but a nibbler. He eats around the pill.

Our other dog literally inhales his food and will eat his "brother's" food before that one takes a whiff of it. Crick (the voracious one) has even eaten Watson's pill pockets out of my wife's hand. Growing up I would toss the heartworm pill down my dog's throat and hold his muzzle until he swallowed. Watson waited me out on that, too.

He's fine with acupuncture, though, and seems to be helping with his back and shoulder pain.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I was going to suggest something and then thought how it could possibly be fatal: Crush the pill to fine powder, mixing with a teaspoon of water and injecting it like we do a turkey before roasting it.

I don't think digestive medicine is like injection meds though! Dumb thought! But this thread sure is a fun read!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cabinetman
                We just cut a little chunk of hot dog, pierce one end, and shove the pill in it. They love it.
                Watson loved it alright! My wife bought him Vienna sausages tonight, no less. He ate the sausage and spit out the pills. Twice!

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  Watson loved it alright! My wife bought him Vienna sausages tonight, no less. He ate the sausage and spit out the pills. Twice!
                  Not sausages...hot dogs...store brands work just fine. Ya just can't let them see you jamming the pill in it.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

We had an Iris Setter that would eat everything in her bowl which included table scraps but would somehow return every english pea back in the bowl They would look as clean as they just came out of the pod and the bowl would shine. You just could not trick her into swallowing them.
                    capncarl

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by capncarl
                      We had an Iris Setter that would eat everything in her bowl which included table scraps but would somehow return every english pea back in the bowl They would look as clean as they just came out of the pod and the bowl would shine. You just could not trick her into swallowing them.
                      capncarl
                      All my dogs in life were German Shepherds except for one Irish Setter when I was a kid. Beautiful and smart as heck. My best memory was one summer we got invited up to a friends cabin on a lake. When we pulled up the driveway, it was elevated pretty high compared to the lake next to it.

When the back door to the car finally opened, the dog took off for the lake. He ran down hill and headed straight for the dock. He didn't even slow down, but ran full speed off the end of the dock and dived into the water. I think he had some repressed anxiety about swimming that got fixed that day.

Comment

• Rand
                        Established Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Another vote for Greenie's Pill Pockets. My cat was an absolute terror when it came to getting pills down her throat.

The last time she got sick the vet gave me some pill pockets. I wrapped the antibiotic completely in the pocket and the cat ate it up and begged for me.

Highly recommended.
                        Rand
                        "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                          Established Member
                          • May 2009
                          • Greenbush Maine
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Suggestion. Get new cat.

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

See reason for editing below.
                            Last edited by ironhat; 06-23-2013, 05:25 AM. Reason: Deleted due to irrelevacy.
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
                              See reason for editing below.
                              Last edited by ironhat; Today at 06:25 AM. Reason: Deleted due to irrelevacy.
                              Give us a clue.

Comment

Working...