• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Compost Bin

I've about got a 3 bay compost bin done for my wife. It's a little overbuilt, but it should last a while. Sure is better than the thing she cobbled togeather out of some old shutters and styrofoam.

Still need to fabricate the doors. It's 8' long with three 30" cubic bins. 2x4 frames with a 2x6 base. All the joints were half lapped out of rough sawn cedar (all friggin 40 of 'em), and glued with TBIII. 1/4" wire mesh was stapled then edged with battens. The mesh is recessed on the back panel. I sure do want a shoulder plane now.

The doors will sit in a 45degree bevel on that bottom front rail. I haven't decided how to fasten them at the top. I was thinking with some removable dovetail keys, but I might just use some metal hardware.
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Sure looks a lot nicer than the old black plastic thing I used to have!
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Looks like a nice project so far. My wife doesn't want to compost because she doesn't want a collection of materials outside to compost. We don't have fancy flower beds or veggie gardens.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I don't like having a compost bin either. If I didn't she'll dump the stuff directly on the beds around the house. This one will also allow me to make better use of my sawdust and chips than them heading to a landfill. Plane shavings get used to start the fire for the grill.

They do produce some really nice soils though.
        Erik

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I had a similar setup at the house where I previously lived. It made me the king of compost!

A couple of notes:
          • A chipper is a really good idea. All the tree trimmings and woody things will break down much faster. I have a fairly manly 8hp gas model, but if your wife is to be the main composter, a little electric one will still be very helpful.
          • A layer of dirt every so often will contribute to the "goodness" of the final product.
          • Throw in a handful of fertilizer periodically. It will kick start the decomposition process.
          • I would put new material in the bin on the left, then move it to the bin in the middle after it broke down a bit. Finally, everything in the right bin was "useable" mulch/compost. To that end, being able to drag the material out of a bin for rotation is important. Your front 2x6 might be a bit of an impediment there. Make sure your door solution accommodates this activity. This also implies that having adequate working area in front of the bins is required.
          • A pitch fork is a good implement for handling material up until it's fully decomposed.
          • You can use grass clippings, but they're pretty juicy. Try to get a layer of leaves/chips in between layers of clippings.
          • It's a good idea to give the pile a few pokes with an aerator tool every once in a wile.
          HTH,
          Last edited by JR; 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM.
          JR

Comment

Working...