• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Need some guidance with wireless router

Hi gang....I'm not a total basket case when it comes to computer stuff, but I'd sure value your guidance on a wireless router. All 6 kids are currently home...ages 14 to 26, so we often have 2-6 wireless devices going at any given moment. We had a Linksys WRT600N dual band gigabyte router that worked great for a few years, but it died recently. We replaced it with a D-Link DIR-628 Wireless 802.11n/a/b/g dual band 300mbps router that was much less expensive. It works, but it drops connection frequently, and just doesn't seem to keep up with the mobile devices very well.

I don't really want to shell out $100 for a good router, but I have no clue other than reading the specs, which ones will work for us and which won't. Any guidance, and/or suggestions for a great closeout deal on a super router? What do I need, what should I avoid, etc.? TIA for any help!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Knottscott
    Hi gang....I'm not a total basket case when it comes to computer stuff, but I'd sure value your guidance on a wireless router. All 6 kids are currently home...ages 14 to 26, so we often have 2-6 wireless devices going at any given moment. We had a Linksys WRT600N dual band gigabyte router that worked great for a few years, but it died recently. We replaced it with a D-Link DIR-628 Wireless 802.11n/a/b/g dual band 300mbps router that was much less expensive. It works, but it drops connection frequently, and just doesn't seem to keep up with the mobile devices very well.

I don't really want to shell out $100 for a good router, but I have no clue other than reading the specs, which ones will work for us and which won't. Any guidance, and/or suggestions for a great closeout deal on a super router? What do I need, what should I avoid, etc.? TIA for any help!
    Basically you just have to go with the best reviewed unit that fits your budget and hope it works for you. So many variables with housing construction interfering with signals, wireless products (laptops, phones, etc) being flaky with certain routers, dodgy signals from the street to the house, etc can't give you a slam-dunk recommendation that's guaranteed to work.

I bought a DIR-655 a few years ago and had problems with it for a long time, then some combination of upgrading the firmware, replacing the cable coming into the house and probably sheer luck finally got the signal to where everyone else had been raving about. Your D-Link is probably the same way. I would recommend seeing if there's a firmware update (which is what I think really solved it, there were complaints in the D-Link forums about it since the dawn of time). I would also download a program like InSSIDer or the such to see how many wireless networks are near you and if there's interference, should you be in a more densely populated area.

All that said the Linksys WRT54G is the undisputed king of wireless routers, unfortunately it tops out at G speeds and the followups from Linksys have been nowhere near as good. D-Link is pretty well reviewed, but there are connection issues as you've found. If you can troubleshoot them, you'll be very happy.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have a pile of dead wireless routers. I think that for some reason they are not able to make them reliable. I tend to treat them as disposable items. But now I have one from AT&T... I hope it holds up.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

One of those Internet-wide group projects is the DD-WRT project: this is basically firmware that totally replaces the factory software in many wireless routers. The electronic guts of so many routers are 90% common (some variation of an ARM processor, a bit of memory, and one of a handful of WiFi modules) with the main product-to-product differentiation being:
        a) the case style & color
        b) the installed software & user interface menus

DD-WRT replaces the factory software/firmware completely. It's quite well-tested and is compatible with many brands & models of WiFi routers. And there are lots of online forums and how-tos for configuring it. Buffalo corp. is one manufacturer of WiFi routers and one of their a/b/g/n units (maybe others, don't know for sure) comes with both Buffalo software and DD-WRT on CDs. The buyer can install whichever they prefer. That's what I have now and it's been 100% rock-solid both as a router and as a bridge device using DD-WRT. My setup is slightly unusual and I found exact step-by-step DD-WRT instructions to do what I needed in the main DD-WRT website. See if they have a firmware set for your router - it'll have the installation procedure too - as a way to "fix" crappy factory software.

mpc

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by mpc
          One of those Internet-wide group projects is the DD-WRT project: this is basically firmware that totally replaces the factory software in many wireless routers. The electronic guts of so many routers are 90% common (some variation of an ARM processor, a bit of memory, and one of a handful of WiFi modules) with the main product-to-product differentiation being:
          a) the case style & color
          b) the installed software & user interface menus

DD-WRT replaces the factory software/firmware completely. It's quite well-tested and is compatible with many brands & models of WiFi routers. And there are lots of online forums and how-tos for configuring it. Buffalo corp. is one manufacturer of WiFi routers and one of their a/b/g/n units (maybe others, don't know for sure) comes with both Buffalo software and DD-WRT on CDs. The buyer can install whichever they prefer. That's what I have now and it's been 100% rock-solid both as a router and as a bridge device using DD-WRT. My setup is slightly unusual and I found exact step-by-step DD-WRT instructions to do what I needed in the main DD-WRT website. See if they have a firmware set for your router - it'll have the installation procedure too - as a way to "fix" crappy factory software.

mpc
          D-Link isn't widely compatible with DD-WRT due to the chipset, but luckily his is:

The biggest knock about this router is it's frequent WIFI drops and lockups when using the stock firmware. Installing DD-WRT corrects this isssue.
          Certainly worth a shot. Installed it on my WRT54G and it was pretty painless. Even got it installed on an unsupported D-Link that was bricked. It's the magic stuff.

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for all the tips gang. Ironically, I was downloading the DD-WRT file, when one of my sons jumped on the computer, and pulled up Netflix, effectively blocking me from going any farther with it. I even told him what I was trying to do, and he just gave me a blank look and sat down to watch his show....since we just finished his birthday dinner, I didn't push the issue. Number 3 son then hopped on the other PC, and started asking when I was going to fix the internet! Hard to do when they won't let me near it....
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

OK, gonna be the iconoclast here Have you considered an Airport base station? Very easy to set up, reliable (Mine's been running 24/7 for four years now) and contrary to popular belief, works and plays well with Windows machines.

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by gsmittle
                OK, gonna be the iconoclast here Have you considered an Airport base station? Very easy to set up, reliable (Mine's been running 24/7 for four years now) and contrary to popular belief, works and plays well with Windows machines.

g.
                I gotta admit....since I hadn't even heard about the airport setup, it hadn't entered my mind. After viewing a setup video, it looks like I'd need to some new equipment. If our current router continues to fail, it is something I'll consider. Thanks for the tip!

CocheseUGA - Will the firmware for the WIR-632 be compatible with my WIR-628?

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

I've had very good service out of my Buffalo Airstation Nfinity Highpower Giga. Running 24/7, no reliability issues over the past two years, no drops that I recall. If this one went down, I'd likely get another. Not sure if it fits your needs, but believe it can be had for $60-80.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks Bill! I'll add it to the list of considerations. Price isn't too bad. There was a 300MBPS refurb for ~ $40 shipped..... 450MBPS is ~ $65.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Knottscott
                      I gotta admit....since I hadn't even heard about the airport setup, it hadn't entered my mind. After viewing a setup video, it looks like I'd need to some new equipment. If our current router continues to fail, it is something I'll consider. Thanks for the tip!

CocheseUGA - Will the firmware for the WIR-632 be compatible with my WIR-628?
                      ****, I read the numbers wrong. 628 is last known incompatible. Don't try to flash other builds for it. My apologies.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                        ****, I read the numbers wrong. 628 is last known incompatible. Don't try to flash other builds for it. My apologies.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
                        No problem. Thanks. The WIR-628 was a $16 refurb, so I'm not out much if I move on to another unit.

Comment

• twistsol
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by gsmittle

g.
                          I have an Airport extreme router and it works exceptionally well. The range however isn't that great and I haven't found a spot in the house where I can get coverage everywhere. This hasn't been a problem with any of the other routers I've had, but they all seemed to die and/or lock up frequently.
                          Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Another Buffalo AirStation High Power user here. Mine is the WZR-600DHP N600 dual band model. It replaced a Cisco / Linksys EA2700 that got flaky on my. Comes with DD-WRT pre-installed, $70.00 new.

The N300 model goes for about $15.00 less... Honestly the N600 at least to me, has been worth it... (Dual band versus single).

There are LOTS of refurbished Cisco / Linksys routers out there. At this point I would avoid them. Cisco sold out the Linksys line to Belkin recently, and service / support and firmware updates are almost non existent. There are HUGE security problems with them... Maybe Belkin will get their act together in regards to Linksys, but I am not going to risk my network over this...

I have 9 WiFi devices on my network, along with 14 Gigabit / fast ethernet wired devices. Never a hiccup / streaming has been perfrect. My line speed is insane though. I have the Comcast extreme 105/20 service...
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks guys....I'm giving some serious thought to a Buffalo system at the moment.

Comment

Working...