X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I think some of the emotion over this has to do with how black males are treated. We had a professional in our group that always dressed up to go shopping. I asked him why once. It seems he would be followed by security for sure if he was dressed like TM and possibly even if professionally dressed. I never have noticed surveillance but I can see where it would get tiring. Other black males have undoubtedly been an issue but does that mean EVERY black male is a suspect?

On the other hand, I don't see anything in the call or testimony demonstrating this was about TM's skin color. I think GZ believed TM was a thief and wanted to stop him or get him arrested.

My wife and I disagree on this but GZ had the legal right to have a gun with him. She says this means he was out looking for trouble. I don't think so and legally that doesn't show any evil intent. If you have a permit (she does, I do not) you can carry. If you are at risk, you can use your weapon. GZ had enough injuries it is hard to say he was not at risk.

I am not saying GZ is a great guy or that I know he isn't racist. I am just saying there are not enough facts to charge him with second degree murder. He was charged because of pressure. That same public opinon pressure is now being applied to charge him with something else. I think it should stop.

Jim

Comment

• annunaki
      • Jan 2008
      • White Springs, Florida
      • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

"My wife and I disagree on this but GZ had the legal right to have a gun with him. She says this means he was out looking for trouble."

That's illogical and makes as much sense as saying if you are carrying a spare tire in your car, you're looking for a flat. Using a seat belt - you're looking for an accident. Wearing a helmet on your motor/bi cycle...........
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• annunaki
        • Jan 2008
        • White Springs, Florida

" It seems he would be followed by security for sure if he was dressed like TM and possibly even if professionally dressed. I never have noticed surveillance but I can see where it would get tiring. Other black males have undoubtedly been an issue but does that mean EVERY black male is a suspect?"

Again -From Neal Boorts_

FROM THE WHITE PERSPECTIVE:

Bluntly stated, whites are simply fed up with the high level of violence brought to many cities by young black males. Whites seem to intuitively know that when they hear of a robbery, a car jacking or a murder, chances are the person committing the crime is going to be black. Then, when the arrest is made and the picture shows up in the paper or on TV, their suspicions are vindicated. If the suspect turns out to be white it’s an anamoly.

White women are tired of being called racists because they instinctively lock their car doors when they see a young black male approaching them in a parking lot. You get the point.

Whites have heard the statistics … they know that although black males make up only a shade over six percent of our population, 42% of murder victims are black. Homicide rates for blacks are seven times that for whites. If a white person is robbed it will be by a black 47% of the time. The robber will be another white 37% of the time. (Here’s your link).

Even though whites realize that the bulk of violent crimes are committed by blacks, they believe the media works hard trying to cover this statistic up. They watch TV commercials for home alarm companies where the burglars, intruders, home invaders – whatever – are always white. The see the absurdity of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution printing mug shots of wanted black criminals, and in order to avoid suggesting that the suspect has a prior criminal history (what a surprise that would be!) they caption the picture as So-and-So “posing for a photo.” They see TV anchors reading the description of a criminal suspect, but pointedly leaving out the suspect’s race. In the end this is all seen as an absurd politically correct attempt to protect the black community from a widespread recognition of the culture of violence and puts so many young black males into graves or prisons.

Whites read or hear about the “no snitching” rule in some black communities. Here they are, committing all those crimes, and they won’t even report the criminals and gang bangers to the police so that they can be arrested and taken off the streets.

Then there’s the absurd “profiling” thing. People profile! There isn’t an adult in this country living in close proximity to other people who doesn’t, on a daily basis, engage in some sort of profiling. If you’re walking down the street and you need to ask directions you are far more likely to approach a businessman in a suit, or a woman in sports clothes than you are some hoodie-wearing black teenager with his pants buckled around his ass and six inches of his pants dragging the ground. If you’re trying to find the shoe section of a department store you are going to look for someone wearing a nametag. That’s profiling! Profiling is a tool of daily survival. Whites perceive this whole “profiling is bad” argument as an attempt by the black community to shield themselves from the societal consequences of the high level of criminal activity occurring in their neighborhoods. Whites are hearing “Yeah … we know where the crime is coming from, but don’t you dare act on that knowledge. That would be profiling!”
        - See more at: http://www.boortz.com/weblogs/nealz-....1ZlRNrBG.dpuf

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

When we look at statistics we have to remember that they do not tell us what we want to know about any individual sample. Because crime is disproportionately committed by black males (mostly on other black males) it does not mean that TM was a criminal.

I think blacks feel this more so than whites. There are many honest, law abiding black people who are tired of people looking at them like they are criminals. I synphathize with them. I think they deserve to be treated as individuals just like I want to be.

Jim

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Gentlemen,

This discussion is full of discussion of a political / religious / racial nature. While none of the posts I have read thus far have crossed the line, this entire thread treads dangerously close to that line. Please remain courteous to your fellow members, and keep on the correct side of the rules. We do not want to have to take adminsitrative action, however this topic has the potential for doing a lot of damage to our community here.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• annunaki
              • Jan 2008
              • White Springs, Florida

I must have missed something in this discussion.
              I don't remember reading anything that mentioned any political party, nor any religion. I'm not sure whether those two subjects even were mentioned in the trial.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                Established Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Conway, SC.
                • BT3000

I am amazed at the filthy nasty remarks I read on FB and other sites concerning this trial verdict. Shows me that we are not as civilized as I had thought.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by annunaki
                  I must have missed something in this discussion.
                  I don't remember reading anything that mentioned any political party, nor any religion. I'm not sure whether those two subjects even were mentioned in the trial.
                  There have been no direct statements, but some very carefully worded skirting just next to going over that edge by certain posters. Particularly with reference with right to carry, stand your ground, racial profiling and other controversial topics are also topics being hotly debated in the realm of the American political system right now.

For the most part this thread seems pretty civil, but it is very close to that edge, partially due to the high emotion that this subject carries for many.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
                    I am amazed at the filthy nasty remarks I read on FB and other sites concerning this trial verdict. Shows me that we are not as civilized as I had thought.

Conwaygolfer
                    The death threats I have personally seen, made on Facebook, against an entire ethnic group over the Trayvon thing speaks very poorly about those that are making those disgusting, violent remarks.

I hate to include this but you need to see a sample of what is being said. This is NOT from me mind you, but the friend of one of my nieces husbands...

" I AM GOING TO GO AND SHOOT A MEXICAN MALE NOW AND SEE IF I CAN CLAIM SELF DEFENSE BECAUSE I AM TOO WEAK TO FIGHT HIM OFF SO I AM GOING TO SHOOT HIM IN THE CHEST."

My brother in law, the father of that niece could pass for George Zimmerman if he was 20 years older.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                      The death threats I have personally seen, made on Facebook, against an entire ethnic group over the Trayvon thing speaks very poorly about those that are making those disgusting, violent remarks.

I hate to include this but you need to see a sample of what is being said. This is NOT from me mind you, but the friend of one of my nieces husbands...

" I AM GOING TO GO AND SHOOT A MEXICAN MALE NOW AND SEE IF I CAN CLAIM SELF DEFENSE BECAUSE I AM TOO WEAK TO FIGHT HIM OFF SO I AM GOING TO SHOOT HIM IN THE CHEST."

My brother in law, the father of that niece could pass for George Zimmerman if he was 20 years older.
                      Gawker is already a hate filled group of hive minded individuals, but the comments I read there were just awful. I'm really hoping they represent a minority of our country, but I fear not.

I don't think the case can be discussed without emotion, because I think that was the only reason the trial took place in the first place. Justice wasn't sought, revenge was.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by dbhost
                        Gentlemen,

This discussion is full of discussion of a political / religious / racial nature. While none of the posts I have read thus far have crossed the line, this entire thread treads dangerously close to that line. Please remain courteous to your fellow members, and keep on the correct side of the rules. We do not want to have to take adminsitrative action, however this topic has the potential for doing a lot of damage to our community here.
                        I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and then have a Twinkie. They're baaack.
                        Richard

Comment

• annunaki
                          • Jan 2008
                          • White Springs, Florida

The "P" Word Ohhhhhhhh !!!!

In our gelded, cowardly, Politically Correct, sick society, another word has become inflaming to the ignorant, and misused by the poorly read - it's the "P" Word- PROFILING

Profiling is good, and serves many useful purposes, but like a good medication, if misused then it can be bad.

That misuse is called "Racial Profiling", not "Profiling".

The Law Enforcement community use Profiling all the time when searching for a Serial Killer, or Kidnapper, and other criminals.(Psychological Profile)

Auto Insurance Companies profile neighborhoods for crime statistics in figuring rates.

Life Insurance Companies do it too, but they have a fancier name for it called "Actuary Tables", for which we all pay unequal rates.

Fast Food chains do it to see if a location has enough traffic to support a franchise - they call it "a Demographic Study".

Thinking about getting a Dog ? Check out the Profiles of different breeds under the cover word "Temperament"

So beware the user's of Broad Paint Brushes when it comes to the word Profile
                          Last edited by annunaki; 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                            http://www.documentcloud.org/documen...zimmerman.html

I might have to have that pointed out to me.
                            The problem I have had all along, and still have, is that I still don't understand how the situation wen from this exchange:
                            "Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?
                            Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood. Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?
                            Zimmerman: The back entrance...****ing [unintelligible]
                            Dispatcher: Are you following him?
                            Zimmerman: Yeah Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.",
                            to a physical altercation between the two parties.

I have no reason to believe Zimmerman's motivation was anything other than neighborhood watch duty, but he messed up badly, IMHO. Whatever his next actions were, they resulted in the death of that kid. The facts as presented in court were clearly insufficient to support the indictment, but Zimmerman is at fault in my mind.
                            JR

Comment

• annunaki
                              • Jan 2008
                              • White Springs, Florida

So then GZ Should have just lain there while his head was pounded into the pavement, got a concussion to go with his already broken nose, and eventually gone unconscious, then maybe strangled, and by not using his weapon to stop what was happening to him, made him "at fault in your mind"

The fault lies with who escalated the confrontation beyond words and struck the first blow, and the perpetrator of that assault was TM.

The point in time came when GZ had to decide "Do I want to be carried by six or judged by twelve"

To his credit, he chose the later.

Were he the Hateful Racist they tried to make him out to be, he would have emptied his gun in the Ne'er Do Well
                              Last edited by annunaki; 07-15-2013, 07:29 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• cabinetman
                                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                                • Jun 2006
                                • So. Florida
                                • Delta

I think it's a bigger issue than we think. The problem could be linked to "hoodies". Seems like only criminals wear them. You see them on those guys that are "caught on tape" robbing stores, and B & E's. Maybe we should just outlaw hoodies.

Comment

Working...