X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

ZCIs

I'm on my phone so I can't search the way I normally can. Has anyone made their own ZCIs out of hardwood or laminate? Since Lee currently isn't making any, I'd like to make a few of my own for different operations.

More what I'm looking for is measurements/tuts.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

for outside measurements the safest thing is to take off your old plate and use between the blade and the rip fence it to set your rip fence, you can re-install it before cutting w/o having to move the fence.

People have even used laminate flooring pieces to make ZCTP - the thing is that if its too thick you risk jamming your 10" blades under the blade when you go to cut the blade slot. If the blade is initially trapped, it won't be able to get to speed to cut but will stall the motor and break the belts, not something we want to see. So the plastic ZCTPs from Ryobi have a groove cut in them for initial blade relief, or you can remember to cut the slot some before trying to raise the blade.
    Remember you should always raise a spinning blade or the blade will stall when the motor is started withthe blade touching the bottom of an uncut ZCTP.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I always had relief grooves in mine as well for the blade. Another option is to start the cut with a smaller blade like a carbide circular saw blade or a single outer blade from a dado stack. That is the easy way to do the relief cut.

This page may be helpful.
      Last edited by Stytooner; 12-09-2013, 01:16 PM.
      Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

I have made them from both hard wood and plywood. UHMW as well. I have purchased from Lee ones made from a hard plastic and one made from lexan. I do not have dimensions. I would suggest that if possible you make several at a time.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Carpenter96
          Established Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Barrie ON Canada
          • BT 3000

I have made many out of MDF and plastic laminate. I also put a relief groove in the under side for the blade clearance. I usually make 10 or so at one time, then they are allways available when I need one. I write on the bottom which blade it matches.

Regards Bob

Comment

Working...