X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Rip blade recommendation

I chipped a tooth on my trusty 24T Freud as I discovered today while cleaning it, and I need a replacement. It doesn't appear the exact same one is available, besides I am looking at the opportunity here to get something that might be better.

I don't really enjoy getting the red coating on everything when I clean, but I suppose I'm looking at the LU87R010 as an option.

While I've got your attention, I also have the 40T and 50T blades, and at some point I will look to replace or upgrade. I don't foresee upgrading to a cabinet saw any time soon, so all thin kerf are fine.

And the last item - I cleaned my other two blades and gave it a spritz of dry lube. It dried white on the blade, should I worry about cleaning it off?

EDIT - very close to buying the Irwin Marples 24T from Amazon. I've been keeping my eye on these since the first reviews started coming in.
    Last edited by Cochese; 12-29-2013, 06:30 PM.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

I have that freud blade and it works real well for me. I'm real lazy though and usually just keep my general use 40T on unless I need to rip some really thick stuff. Not a good habit I'm sure. Perhaps knottscott will chime in. I think he's tried every blade imaginable.
    Last edited by jussi; 12-29-2013, 11:46 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Irwin Marples or Freud LU87 are both really solid choices....pick your favorite color or best deal. Lowe's has the Irwin Marples for < $30....same price as Amazon. Amazon sometimes drops the LU87 to ~ $36, but current price is ~ $43.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I also have that 24 Tooth Freud and love it. thinking of upgrading all my other blades to Freuds because of it.
        Richard

Comment

• Hockeynut
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2013
          • Fort Wayne, Indiana
          • BT 3000

I have a CMT 256.050.10 50 tooth and the rips are glue up ready. Smooth as a baby's bottom! Paid 49.99 for it locally McFeely's have it at $41.93.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

The only thing I don't like about the Freuds is the red coating that IMO too easily comes off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

one chipped tooth is not the death of a blade. Does it cut any differently? If not you can still use it.
              Some blade sharpening service can also repair chipped teeth, for a few bucks, you have to determine if its economical.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-29-2013, 09:15 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

The Diablo 24T rip blade works great for me. However one chipped tooth isn't nedessarily the death of your blade. Get it sharpened and in operation that tooth should effectively get skipped over... Some shops will actually replace a tooth if need be, but that can be spendy on a rip blade as they usually are kind of disposable price wise...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

I had read that a damaged tooth was a danger of being a projectile. No?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• lrr
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Fort Collins, Colorado
                    • Ryobi BT-3100

When I decided to keep my BT3100, rather than upgrading to a more powerful 3HP SawStop, I decided I'd get the best ripping blade I could. I do believe the Forrest Woodworker II is that blade. I have used it to rip 8/4 oak and it went thru it pretty effortlessly. I bought the 30 tooth thin kerf blade after talking to Forrest. This blade is recommended for wood up to 2" thick. The 40T is more of a combo blade, and for ripping thinner wood. I also bought their blade stiffener, which was around $25, as I recall.

I like this blade so much that I may buy the 40T also.

They are not cheap -- $109 for the 30T, and about $124 for the 40T. But the way it cuts makes me happy to spend that kind of money on a blade.
                    Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I think that Freud blades are lifetime warrantied, that should include broken carbides, though it might not since it is customer inflicted. It might be worth a phone call to see.
                      capncarl

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I bought a cmt because I could get it locally when I last needed a rip blade. It is 24 tooth and thin cut. It works surprisingly well. But my full width Freud works fine on the BT3100 too. When clean and sharp both will cut to full depth.

I use a mail order sharpening service sometimes. I can't remember the name right now but they also make blades.

Jim

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Pulled the trigger on the Irwin. Amazon has a 20% off promotion, so it was only $25.42 shipped and with tax. I like how the teeth are bigger than the Freud.

I won't bin the Freud for the time being.

I also took advantage of that sale by buying a 12" 96T blade for my SCMS. I've been doing very well with the stock blade, but at $50 or so for a 12" blade, I had to upgrade.
                          Last edited by Cochese; 12-30-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Which Irwin did you get? If it's one of the newer blue Irwin Marples blades, keep us posted on the performance of that blade... I have seen good things about them but haven't tried them yet... All my blades are either OE, or Freud Diablo... Okay my round blades that is...
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Yes, both the Marples (Italy) blades.

1807366 for the 10" 24T
                              1807385 for the 12" 96T

Comment

Working...