Help! 2.5" (ssd) to 3.5" drive brackets.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Help! 2.5" (ssd) to 3.5" drive brackets.

Ordered my first SSD, along with the new motherboard, memory and such (should be here tomorrow), and realized, since I am using an older case, its smallest spot is 3.5".

I didn't think to order the bracket, and still have an older 3.5" to 5.25" adapter bracket set. Has anyone used them for 2.5" instead? (rather not strip the holes if it won't work) Pictures online in some cases, show the same brackets, but pictures are not always updated, so I am asking for hands on experiences.

Thanks
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

My 60 GB SSD from Corsair came with it's own 3.5" mounting plate. I use it for cache only.
    The 120 GB I use for the main drive did not, however if it is in a desk top, I don't think it will slow you down.
    There isn't any moving parts, so won't hurt anything to run unmounted for a few days until a proper mounting plate does arrive.
    Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'm pretty sure its not the same bracket as 5.25 to 3.5 - the drive is physically much smaller.

Duct tape can be your friend. The 2.5 SSD are small, light and have zero moving parts.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Did you get a retail box drive, or a bare drive for that SSD? If it is a retail box it should come with the adapters...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          i'm pretty sure its not the same bracket as 5.25 to 3.5 - the drive is physically much smaller.

Duct tape can be your friend. The 2.5 SSD are small, light and have zero moving parts.
          Uh, no they are not the same, and EEK! Duct tape?! Please say it isn't so!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

In a pinch, I've mounted a 2.5 SSD in a 3.5 bay by just attaching it on one side. As others have said, no moving parts, so it should be safe until you get a proper bracket.

I've seen 3.5 drives mounted in 5.25 bays by folks using long screws and spacers/washers.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Condoman44
              Established Member
              • Nov 2013
              • CT near Norwich
              • Ryobi BT3000

A pinch? I am finally doing a rebuild of my XP desktop to Win7 x64. The 1tb drive I put in a couple years back has never had a slot, it's standing on end just inside the case.

The new config will fix that.

BTW, new MSI board out for repair as it was DOA.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by Condoman44
                A pinch? I am finally doing a rebuild of my XP desktop to Win7 x64. The 1tb drive I put in a couple years back has never had a slot, it's standing on end just inside the case.

The new config will fix that.

BTW, new MSI board out for repair as it was DOA.
                I've done that before as well, but with 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 boys, I doubt that I could get away with that again.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• jdon
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                  • BT3100

C'mon, you're a woodworker- surely there's something in your scrap bin you can use to craft a one-off mount!

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Don't jerry-rig anything. A mount for it costs negligible, but gives a lot of peace of mind. I have this and it works great for the past few years:

Last edited by radhak; 01-08-2014, 09:20 PM.
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

When SATA first came out, new drives all had the cable with them. After a tipping point, they didn't. SSD's have become that way (they don't all come with brackets).

I did wonder about wood, but wasn't sure of any grounding issues. Started looking online for a template (eventually found one), because I haven't opened the old case yet, to see if I can remove the 3.5" section, or if it is riveted (old ATX case that was last used for a Pentium 133).

Something hit me though, today; I left the old floppy in it, just to have no openings and realized I should be able to use it for my bracket, since I found the template.
                      One 5.25 adapter bracket, would screw on, in one hole, and would make it close to 3.5", but not quite.
                      Another option that I wondered about, was zip ties.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...