X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by JR
    That is exactly what I would do in the same circumstance!

FWIW - I would now do dadoes using something like this jig. The two long pieces are set using a piece of the shelf material, making the dado width perfect. Use a top-bearing bit in the router and it's practically fool-proof.

One of the big problems I'm having right now is a distinct lack of horizontal surface to work on. I may have a really nice solution for that after I build my miter saw center though.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Carpenter96
      Established Member
      • Aug 2011
      • Barrie ON Canada
      • BT 3000

Great job. I have the Craftsman and the reason that 3/4" works is the triangle. Anytime that you put angles in it srengthens it.

Regards Bob
      Last edited by Carpenter96; 01-17-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Well, when you are tired of having to pull the belt assembly / drum off of the sander, you can get to it....
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii
          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

flip top stand

Good Job!!! I want to make one of those but keep putting it off. I have the same sander and a Ridget planer. The planer is on a cabinet I made but my sander just sits on a stack of wood.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

An earlier discussion thread about flip tops mentioned the 2 flipper vrs the Craftsman triangular 3 flipper's size. Not mentioned was the fact that although it had a larger footprint, the larger table top hinged up on both sides of the rotary table and allowed a lot larger tools to rotate without having to strip them down, and this machine housed 3 major tools rather than 2 major tools. 3 tools vrs 2 tools puts the average square foot per tool the same. If someone could locate a mecanism on a common appliance that we could canabilize to put on the flipper to operate the rotary table without cutting of a hand full of fingers this could be a viable machine.
            capncarl

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by capncarl
              An earlier discussion thread about flip tops mentioned the 2 flipper vrs the Craftsman triangular 3 flipper's size. Not mentioned was the fact that although it had a larger footprint, the larger table top hinged up on both sides of the rotary table and allowed a lot larger tools to rotate without having to strip them down, and this machine housed 3 major tools rather than 2 major tools. 3 tools vrs 2 tools puts the average square foot per tool the same. If someone could locate a mecanism on a common appliance that we could canabilize to put on the flipper to operate the rotary table without cutting of a hand full of fingers this could be a viable machine.
              capncarl
              Great job on the flipper Cochese. That project has been on my list for a few years, but I scored one of those C-man triangles on CL for $30 about a month ago. I need to replace the top, but it's a pretty slick deal. The shorter top sections on this one slide in and out and serve as a secondary locking mechanism for the triangle. Footprint is about 24" x 60" and my current thought is to attach only 2 tools so the third side could serve as a work table. (i do realize that if i keep one side blank i'll need to keep one of the mounted tools in the top position so it doesn't get like every other flat surface in the shop!!)

The current top (probably original) is 5/8" MDF, but does not feel secure--wouldn't trust it with a tool i like. I'll likely use 3/4" and rabbet to fit, and include some type of reinforcement under--especially if i mount the DW735 on it. If i opt to mount the planer and Ridgid sander on it, i'll actually gain a little floor space, and once i'm comfortable with that, perhaps sell the Dewalt planer stand--but that's an awful nice stand!!

I didn't get a chance to do anything with it before my foot surgery--but hopefully in a few weeks i'll be back to something besides a sandal on my right foot!!

earl

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Good job Cochese, I hope it has utility in your shop.
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Greenacres2, does the cman 3 flipper have a turning mechanism?
                  capncarl

Comment

• greenacres2
                    • Dec 2011
                    • La Porte, IN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by capncarl
                    Greenacres2, does the cman 3 flipper have a turning mechanism?
                    capncarl
                    Not really. There's a 12" wing table on each end that slide in/out of the triangle, and a spring loaded pin to pull out and then rotate. I'm not sure how good the balance will be--but it can't be much worse than tools mounted on 24" squares of 3/4" plywood stored on a wall rack!! Hopefully there's enough clearance for the mortiser, that is an awkward beast and it's clear down at the bottom.

When it warms a little i'll shoot some pics and start a new thread. Cochese's flipper is too nice for me to hijack this thread.

earl

Comment

• stoli
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tucson, AZ.

I believe Lance got the idea of the rod and bearings from this:

I made three of these, copied nearly every detail down to the hammered paint finish. The only change I made was to make them longer so I could host my bench top jointer.

Anyway, someone earlier in this thread was going to make one for their jointer/planer, and another for some sanders. I decided to go a different direction here. I have a spindle sander mounted opposite my jointer, and a disk/belt sander mounted opposite my planer. My thought was that I may be in either stock prep or finishing mode at any one time, and I wanted to be able to go between the tools easily. So far it worked well. Not so much in the stock prep phase, but in the finishing phase of a bandsaw box it was useful to be able to back and forth between the sanders easily.

So, if you are planning more than one flip top stand, think through how you will distribute the tools.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by stoli
                        I believe Lance got the idea of the rod and bearings from this:

Oh, good. My next flip cart was going to incorporate my Ryobi drum sander--essentially same as Performax.

I'm wondering now, though, if I have to be extra careful to clean/vacuum the tools before they're flipped upside down so dust/chips don't go where they're not supposed to go. Or oil/lube is in a spot that should not be inverted.

Comment

Working...