X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Flip-top cart

As promised, here is the project I just (basically) completed.

This idea and execution was borrowed from a guy named Lance in Oklahoma. He has a channel on YouTube and is a member of LJ and FOG. The construction is 2-thick 3/4" plywood on all surfaces. The top and bottom shelf are in a shallow dado set into the sides. The top rides on a 3/4" rod that sits in bushings that were set into the sides. The trim is 1/8" maple that didn't turn out so well.

I may at some point convert it into a solid top depending on how much I use my sander. I have to remove the planer extension tables plus the dust collection adapter to get it to flip. I also have to remove the sander drum and top knob (that's the issue) for it to clear the shelf when flipped. I accounted for the spindle, however the knob and the ability for the spindle to rise (or fall when inverted) takes away that clearance.

It's also pretty big, bigger than I anticipated at around 22.25" deep and 29" or so wide.

Oh well, it's done, minus the drawer that will hold the spindle washers, extension tables and any tools.

I have a little blog about my shop
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looks pretty good, but yeah, I could see where that shelf would interfere with the flipping operation of the stand... Yours is different than most though. Most of them I have seen utilize single layer 3/4" ply. Never seen it doubled like that on a flip top stand. Looks stout enough to park a car on it
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looks good from here. What did you use to keep the top from spinning during use?

My flip cart is maybe one of the best projects I've done for my shop. I have the same sander and a Ridgid planer on mine. My sander was just sitting on a pile of lumber, and the footprint of the cart is smaller than the stand and rollers my planer was on. I think you'll want to keep it flipping. The whole thing is surprisingly stable even though the planer sits higher now than it used to--my only gripe with it--but I got a storage drawer out of it like you did.

Paul

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

This is my second attempt at a flipper. The one I built a couple of years ago was single 3/4" ply and it started bowing almost immediately. I really wasn't going to build another flipper until I saw the YouTube video on it. The laminated ply really does make it stout. I don't expect to see any bowing this time. Especially not with that first shelf helping tie it all together.

I haven't locked it down yet, the natural weight of the planer is keeping the sander upright there. I plan on using those sliding toggle latches to keep it steady. I oriented the planer to operate along the axis of the axle, figured it would be more stable. I was hoping to store the tables via magnets on the inside walls, but it interferes with the top operation.

We'll see about the flipping part. After I built it I was kind of dejected at just how big it was and now I'm taking the opportunity to step back and evaluate the entire shop again. I know I'm at the point where I need to expand, but hope I can get at least two more years out of this shop until I can afford to do so.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Well, as I have gotten older, my back issues haven't gotten much, if any better. The tool stacker system I use works, but just barely. I have been thinking of building a couple of flippers. One for jointer / planer, the other for Ridgid sander / scroll saw. I figure I can at that point just build a grinder stand and position my grinder next to the lathe since that is where I use it anyway...

Those things are such a great use of shop space, and they look like a real back saver!

If you don't mind me asking. Since the flipping part doesn't work full height with your specific tools, do you have any recommendations for minimum heights between the shelf and the flip tray? I would think it would be the peak of the tool being flipped, but say for example a bench top jointer, would it be the end of the tables? I would think so...
          Last edited by dbhost; 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
            Well, as I have gotten older, my back issues haven't gotten much, if any better. The tool stacker system I use works, but just barely. I have been thinking of building a couple of flippers. One for jointer / planer, the other for Ridgid sander / scroll saw. I figure I can at that point just build a grinder stand and position my grinder next to the lathe since that is where I use it anyway...

Those things are such a great use of shop space, and they look like a real back saver!

If you don't mind me asking. Since the flipping part doesn't work full height with your specific tools, do you have any recommendations for minimum heights between the shelf and the flip tray?
            The real pain is the sander, because that knob on the drive spindle is so ridiculously large. That and it drops down when it is flipped. If you take the knob off, it clears at about 18.5". I'd say 19.5" would be the minimum if you wanted to keep your drums or belt on.

With the planer, it doesn't work at it is raised to the max. Easy enough to lower it down unless you need the sander between planing passes. Not a common scenario I would imagine.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks. yeah I would think my Ryobi planer, being taller than your DeWalt would be even worse for height issues on a flip top stand...

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

How tall did your stand end up being? I did a lot of measuring and drawing (and math) before I started construction. The planer clears the top of the shelf by a fraction of an inch--as planned.

Aside from the clearance issue, the other major factor, IMHO, is where the mounting holes for each of the tools are. Luckily, the layout of the holes for the planer and the sander do not line up so I was able to bolt down one tool, flip it, then mount the other tool. I'm glad the holes didn't line up exactly because I don't know how I would managed that without a helper.

I actually feed my lumber into the planer perpendicular to the direction of rotation--probably the less ideal way for stability--but with the doubled up melamine and several screws/bolts, there is no deflection.

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

I really like the rod and bushing setup. It looks nice and beefy.

I would find it to be a real pain in the neck to have to remove the planer tables and dust port. I have really strived to make it so that I can pretty much walk up to a tool when I need it and start using it - well, except for a few tools that have to be "deployed" on their mobile bases. The flipping would be a violation of my rule that could be appropriate, but the extra assembly would drive me nuts. Of course, I'm not familiar with the Dewalt so it may be easier to set up than I imagine.

Nice project!

BTW - re: the dado for the shelf. I understand it is normal to drink the beer after using the tools!
                  JR

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Just found this on LJs... Thought you might be interested in how this guy dealt with the knob issue with his ridgid sander...

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Just found this on LJs... Thought you might be interested in how this guy dealt with the knob issue with his ridgid sander...
                      Nice build. My wife would definitely not be sitting by while I worked in the shop--9min mark.

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Thought you might be interested in how this guy dealt with the knob issue with his ridgid sander...
                        Yeah, I was wondering what the heck he was doing with that router!
                        JR

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          Nice build. My wife would definitely not be sitting by while I worked in the shop--9min mark.
                          Just hangin' out in her PJs while running material through the table saw? Man, that guy is living the dream. Or not. I'll have to think about this...
                          JR

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Thanks. yeah I would think my Ryobi planer, being taller than your DeWalt would be even worse for height issues on a flip top stand...
                            Probably why my first one was so unsteady. I didn't have that shelf there.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                            How tall did your stand end up being? I did a lot of measuring and drawing (and math) before I started construction. The planer clears the top of the shelf by a fraction of an inch--as planned.
                            I want to say 29" plus the casters, but I would have to double-check.

Originally posted by JR
                            I really like the rod and bushing setup. It looks nice and beefy.

I would find it to be a real pain in the neck to have to remove the planer tables and dust port. I have really strived to make it so that I can pretty much walk up to a tool when I need it and start using it - well, except for a few tools that have to be "deployed" on their mobile bases. The flipping would be a violation of my rule that could be appropriate, but the extra assembly would drive me nuts. Of course, I'm not familiar with the Dewalt so it may be easier to set up than I imagine.

Nice project!

BTW - re: the dado for the shelf. I understand it is normal to drink the beer after using the tools!
                            The story about that picture: I was using a 1/2" bit to rout a 1.5" dado. I would set the fence, rout the dado, then move away from the fence a touch and rout free, then move the fence and rout the opposing side. Worked fine for the first three. I moved the fence already before I did the fourth dado, so I did my first line and was going to eat up the middle part just like before. I forgot that I should have done it in the opposite direction.

The tables on the Dewalt are easy - they slip over a spring-loaded bolt on either side. That's it. Takes about ten seconds to take on or off. The dust port I have to remove is a rubber connector that fits my hose. A bit more annoying, but takes about the same amount of time to remove.

That's who I copied my design off of. When I realized I would have to do the same, unfortunately my small router wouldn't fit unless I either removed the tools or held the top at an angle where I could get at.

You know the path I took, and the results weren't really pretty. I was tired of lifting on and off that planer and I didn't have too much room to set it aside anyway. I'm at my limit for my shop, and I'm spending the next few days sitting back and contemplating things. I was going to jump in with a Domino and build some new storage, but I'm going to hold off for a bit. I have way too much I need to figure out first.

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by Cochese
                              I forgot that I should have done it in the opposite direction.
                              That is exactly what I would do in the same circumstance!

FWIW - I would now do dadoes using something like this jig. The two long pieces are set using a piece of the shelf material, making the dado width perfect. Use a top-bearing bit in the router and it's practically fool-proof.

JR

Comment

Working...