X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Mini MFT/Paulk tables

Since I've gotten bit a bit by the Festool bug, I've been trolling FOG more than I probably should. I've stayed strong so far, not really being interested in more than I initially thought I would be. Overpriced is overpriced, no matter the fancy container it comes in.

One thing that I did intrigue me was the MFT tables, in their various forms. It's a bit much for me to spend $600 on a folding table, but it might find a home in my shop once I run out of things to spend money on. The holy MDF though, sparked a neuron or something in my brain, because it gave me a way to supplement the horizontal surfaces in my shop without being permanent. It became feasible once I saw the usefulness of the Ron Paulk workbenches that are popular with on-site builders.

This is the rough draft of what I came up with:

I got lazy and didn't render it out to it's logical conclusion, but it's approximately a 2'x'2'x6" block, similar to the 1x2x3 platforms that I see in use. The sides are made of plywood, the top MDF and 20mm holes cut (or thereabout) just like the Festool MFT. Since I'll be picking up a few clamps to use with the rails, it made sense to have some holes in these I could also use them in.

It will have a set of extendable legs that will drop down on one end. On the other, it will have the capability to hook into T-track that I will install on the edge of my miter saw stand, router table, workbench and (with any luck) the back rail of the 21829.

They should be able to be used as an outfeed table for the saw or router table, or extend the working surface of basically every other fixture in my shop. I figure these will be invaluable for when it comes to assembling larger pieces at a reasonable working height.

If possible, I'll be able to hook them together to create a freestanding table outside. I could then use it for crosscuts of wide pieces that otherwise wouldn't work on my miter saw or table saw. For initial breakdown of sheet goods, I could hook them up that way with some rigid foam, or I could feasibly hook them up in tandem pairs to the inside of my doors (when open).

I went through the last week or so thinking about reasonable ways for me to improve life in my shop. I wrote a series of posts being honest with myself, and this was included in the last chapter posted tonight.

Just thought I'd share my idea in case it can help someone else out. I'll be revising it as I get closer to making them. I'll be making the miter saw station first, and I haven't settled on what my top surface is going to be made of.
    I have a little blog about my shop
Working...