X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Tried something new

I've only turned a couple of things with my lathe thus far. I had been wanting to get a chuck for some time, and finally pulled the trigger this week on a Nova G3. I decided that I might as well jump in an attempt to make a bowl for Mother's Day. I picked up two myrtle blanks (because I didn't have any suitable scrap) and did my first attempt. Came out pretty dang well, if I do say so myself. Learned a couple of things that I will tighten up on the one I do tomorrow.

Finished with BLO.

I have a little blog about my shop
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

It looks great!

I have just come from a pen turning demo at Woodcraft. (Un)fortunately, I came back with $375 worth of turning accessories, including a bowl gouge. Here's to my future bowl projects looking like yours - at least I hope they don't explode off the lathe as they have done in the past.
    JR

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Nice work - you're taking to it very well So what type of chuck did you acquire/use for this?
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I can sense the hook caught in you! Looks great!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Very nice.

So was the blank purchased for turning, meaning was it already dry?

I've recently learned that some turners get their blanks close to shape, then cook it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, then turn to final shape. Otherwise, you'd have to wait months from start to finish.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I assume it is fully dry. It was one of those ones at Rockler that are covered in a thin layer of wax. I'll find out later if it wasn't. This particular blank only cost $10.99.

The Chuck is a Nova G3 w/ 2" jaws. Only experience with the Chuck was watching a few videos. Very intuitive. Started with the screw drive to shape the outside then switched to the jaws to do the inside.

I need to make sure my base is completely done on the next one before I work on the interior - the edge is slightly rough and it's hard to manually sand. I probably could have gone with thinner walls, but I didn't want to risk a blowout on my first one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

You are off to a real good start there.
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment