X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Big Box Shed?

This is only a half-serious question, so don't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Home Depot is clearing out their display sheds. There is a two-story and a 12x16 for 40% off. The 12x16 comes in at $2400. Now, I have no idea if they would deliver it for that price, and I would still have to do the site prep before I even thought about it. Looks decent enough, ridge vent and end vents, roof trusses could probably do with an upgrade, but it would hold up to most uses.

I'm just wondering at that price, box store or not, is it worth it at that point to build something yourself? I don't have any idea what materials would run. It's just been a frustrating couple of days back out in the shop trying to fit 10 pounds in a five pound sack. I know I'm not building anything while I'm back at school, and that's nearly two more years.

You know you're desperate when just adding a second vac is a major interior remodel.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

If this 12x16 is similar to a TuffShed, sounds like a good deal - especially since you can save yourself the effort of making a building, and spend that time on setting up your shop. Wish I had the room to do this.

Not sure what you plan to do for site prep, or what that will cost. You'll want a separate subpanel on that, hopefully that would only cost half the price of the shed; but if you can drop in a shop that will meet your needs for around $5K, sounds like good deal.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I've seen that shed at several friends houses. It dresses up nicely. We also had one on a hunting club deer camp that served well. I think you would be hard pressed to build it cheape than that. I'm not sure I've heard anyone say if it was delivered or built on site by a hd affiliate. Either way, the price is right.
      capncarl

Comment

• jAngiel
        • Oct 2003
        • Ryobi BT3100

I looked at that one a couple of years ago and liked it. It was full price then and it was more than I wanted to spend. I decided to build my own, it's pretty similar to that one but I left off a couple features and I spent about $1800 building it. At 40% off I would buy it as that difference is well worth not having to build it yourself. It was fun to build but if I could get the same thing already built I'd do it.
        James

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

As far as site prep goes, having just retrofitted proper footings for my soon to be new shop (14x18 exterior) I can say that the cost was approx $400 including concrete, rebar, sonotubes, 2x6s & ties/fittings. That may have included the rental of the concrete mixer also although not the 6 packs and burgers that were required to feed the helpers on mix day
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

Working...