X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

It's a good question about the height, but I could find no answer within the county code. They make no reference to anything. If it's a foot off, I'm not sure how big of a deal it will be. 6' height in the loft is plenty anyway. I'd either go with the HF DC or the Rockler wall mount, so I'm not really worried about it playing into the height deal. There's innumerable ways of modifying the HF one to fit whatever space I need it to, minus the space I have now.

The ceilings now are only 7', so the same or any higher is fine for the main floor.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

My wife convinced me last night to just go ahead and build it 12x16. So, I have some revision to do with the plans.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese
        My wife convinced me last night to just go ahead and build it 12x16. So, I have some revision to do with the plans.
        Maybe nobody will notice if you made it 25x25 :-o
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by poolhound
          Maybe nobody will notice if you made it 25x25 :-o
          I don't know that I could function in a shop that size. I'd feel lost.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

So, I'm still in the planning stages and have already learned a lot. For my purpose, I will be using deck piers sitting on crushed stone to help with erosion control. 2x8 PT lumber will make up the floor joists, and will be 16" OC. Combined with a middle row of deck piers (making 12 in total) and bridging between joists, I shouldn't have to worry about the strength of the floor. My current shed still standing reinforces that theory. I learned that you do the bridging about the 4' mark so that the plywood floor has additional places to nail into, but I might add a few more over known higher weight areas, and perhaps just in general. Might as well overbuild it, within reason and budget.

The plan is still to pretty much enclose the loft entirely and turn it into an attic, complete with an attic ladder. Storage plans for up there include the real dust collector (assuming I can get one to run on a 20A extension cord), air compressor of some variety, storage for a few bins related to woodworking or home repair, and perhaps some boards that I need to sticker or store. I don't have any plans on putting full sheets of plywood up there. I'll still have the old shop/future garden shed that I can store plywood on a short-term basis. The attic ladder will be pretty much in the middle of the shop, since that's where I foresee being room most of the time. Otherwise a quick move of one of the mobile tools gets me up there.

With the additional room now, I can conceivably keep the lathe inside the main shop, and initial layout planning confirms that. The additional 48 square feet (or just under) gets me some breathing room, and the ability to add a drum sander on a mobile base. Otherwise, I'm really set. I'd like to also add an air cleaner, but we'll see.

My biggest hurdle will be deciding on the gambrel or gable roof. Gable is so much easier in my mind. If I did that, and wanted a few feet of room at the peak in the attic, would I need to build the main walls higher, or could I use extensions on the walls? Gambrel would be a cool challenge, and I think I can certainly do it, but I'm not sure what to do with the hip or at the bottom. Also, calculations said I'd be looking at 4'10" long sections, which means a full sheet of ply wouldn't cover anything.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Imo, your design should consider the assistance you have for the build, i.e., if you are building it alone consider the height and difficulty of managing large boards. The harder you design it the longer the build takes and the longer the new construction sets in the rain naked. Building any structure is a race between you and Mother Nature to get it dried in, plan accordingly. If you get to a point where you stall out and have to cover it with blue tarps, how long will it be before the neighborhood starts to complain? You may have to have a plan B where you can call in additional help. I've been involved with several shop builds where all of the walls and trusses were pre-built and piled nearby and the owner constructed it himself with limited help.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Yes, doing the roof is going to be a challenge. We bought a tarp yesterday that will double as our tent tarp, it is 24x12, just barely big enough. I can supplement with another one. I will have to figure out where to store the roof trusses between that portion and time to install. There's still quite a bit I need to learn, like venting, etc. Want to get that stuff sorted out before I'm in a time pinch.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

You might consider going with a metal roof. A bigger investment but it pays off in the long run and some types are not that hard to DIY. Since my son and I put R panels on my house every other house on the street has been reshingled at least once and several of them twice. I wouldn't suggest the R panels. There are several other types that are easier to install.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Haven't heard from Cochese since 3/30. Fell off the roof?, ok?
                    capncarl

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by capncarl
                      Haven't heard from Cochese since 3/30. Fell off the roof?, ok?
                      capncarl
                      I was finishing up school. I'm done now, but I don't have a timetable for a new shop build at this time. Trying to figure out life priorities. I haven't been in the shop except for one day in the last two months plus.

Comment

Working...