• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

New site comment from the peanut gallery

Are the colors for new posts/old posts user customizable with the upgrade? It's a little difficult for me to see the difference if a folder has new posts (light blue) vs no new posts (gray).

Thanks
    Paul
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    Are the colors for new posts/old posts user customizable with the upgrade? It's a little difficult for me to see the difference if a folder has new posts (light blue) vs no new posts (gray).

Thanks
    Paul
    To make it easy on myself, I used the default color scheme for vBulletin and just added our logo to it. I'll look into this. I know it is just a color setting, but figuring out exactly which of the hundreds of color settings it is ...
    Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

There is also an icon that shows on the home page as the first spot in the thread title of each thread when there is an unread post which may help until I get around to looking into this. On the forums page the bluing gray icons are currently the only indicator.
      Chr's

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I agree with Paul. These old eyes are having trouble reading the new site.
        Richard

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I don't mind the new colors that much. If you do get the hang of it, I would like to request a dark theme, if it isn't too much trouble.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Excellent feedback, thanks! The gallery conversion is nearly complete since the Tapatalk installation went quicker than we could have imagined. I'll get started on an additional theme as my next priority.

As a stopgap measure, I did color in the thought bubble on the unread posts icon so it is easier to see in the forums page, but once you open a single forum I can't tell the difference between read and unread even on my 27" display.
            Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

We are working to come up with a theme design for the site.... And usability / visibility is without a doubt part of the process. Please excuse the mess as we continue the move forward, we appreciate your patience with the process!
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

First--a thank you and acknowledgement to the moderators for making all of this happen and in a smooth manner.

Feedback wise, not a fan of the colors at all. I have a touch of colorblindness that is making things hard to read. The color scheme reminds me of another sight that has the initials s, m, and c in it's name. I'm a minority and don't want to create any drama, but the colors as they are would tend to keep me away as it does the other sight.

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Just curious, but is the font smaller?
                  Richard

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by phrog
                    Just curious, but is the font smaller?
                    In most instances the font is the same size or larger

In the bottom left corner of the every page on the site, there is a dropdown box for choosing different styles. I put together a style with higher contrast and larger fonts. It's not complete but covers most areas of the site. I also modified all the status icons and muted the grays and enhanced the blues so there is much more contrast. The unread posts icon in threads is now green.

Let's hear what you think. All comments and criticisms are helpful.
                    Chr's

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Is there any way to make the font bigger with these old eyes the type is a little small otherwise it looks great thanks for all the hard work.

Tom

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by TB Roye
                        Is there any way to make the font bigger with these old eyes the type is a little small otherwise it looks great thanks for all the hard work.

Tom
                        I did just upload an incomplete theme with better contrast and slightly larger fonts. If that doesn't work for you, you can further increase the font size by hitting CTRL + on windows or Command + on the Mac in most browsers until we get the themes/styles straightened out.
                        Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by twistsol
                          I also modified all the status icons and muted the grays and enhanced the blues so there is much more contrast. The unread posts icon in threads is now green.
                          The higher contrast helps a lot! Thank you. Now I just need to get used to the fact that my threads may be "hot or not".

I created a web site for my group at work. It's very utilitarian and I get ribbed a lot because it's rather plain jane, but gets the job done. The running joke is, "Just put some blue in it and Paul will be happy." My counterpart on the other hand seems to think we work for the Rainbow Coalition and we give him equal ribbing for his color selection. Neither of us has lowered ourselves to the point of adding any flashing text, though.

Thanks for working on this!

Paul

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                            • Grizzly G1023SL

I like the higher contrast ... is it persistent between logons? ... Answered my own question ... it appears to be persistent.
                            Last edited by BadeMillsap; 04-27-2015, 09:05 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
                            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                            Bade Millsap
                            Bulverde, Texas
                            => Bade's Personal Web Log
                            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Turaj
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                              • BT3000 (1998)

I was OK with the old colours, but changed to the high contrast to check it out and I definitely like it and staying with it.

Once again, thanks to all who spend their valuable time to make this happen.
                              Turaj (in Toronto)
                              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...