• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Machine Oil Question

I am a complete mechanical dimwit, so I have a dumb question on oil. I recently acquired a free Delta/Rockwell/Homecraft 8" disc sander. I am in the process of cleaning it up and getting it ready for use. I noticed there is a port on the sander for what I assume to be oil. If so, what type of oil do I use? It's likely bone dry inside, because it looks like it's been sitting for awhile.
    Attached Files
    Joe
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

3-in-1 oil is probably the best known machine oil for household/hobby use. You could also buy sewing machine oil or hydraulic oil. You want something light that will be able to lubricate the bearings.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

It really depends on the type of bearings, but 3 in 1 would probably be the right choice for those. It probably has bronze bushings. If it had roller bearings, then you would see seals at the arbor. If it were roller bearings and they were not sealed already, then a heavier oil would be better for a few reasons.
      Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner
        It really depends on the type of bearings, but 3 in 1 would probably be the right choice for those. It probably has bronze bushings. If it had roller bearings, then you would see seals at the arbor. If it were roller bearings and they were not sealed already, then a heavier oil would be better for a few reasons.
        Agree with this assessment for 3-in-1 oil, its made for a general purpose such as this and will come with a convenient pouring spout or tip.

In a pinch some 30wt motor oil.

Never use WD-40 for this. It's not really a lubricant.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-20-2015, 06:49 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          If so, what type of oil do I use?
          20 weight non-detergent oil - or at least that's what Delta specifies in the manual. 3 in 1 may also be OK - the manufacturer says it is 20W - but I'm not sure what else might be in the oil, such as detergents, so it would not be my first choice.

You could probably get by with detergent oil - it's getting harder to find non-detergent oil - but avoid synthetics. Some people use Marvel Mystery oil and claim good results, but I have always use the specified 20W oil in my Homecraft lathe, and it has worked well for years.

BTW, you don't need to fill it, just add a few drops every four to eight hours of use. It's normal for the bearings to seep oil a little, and if you overfill it, they will seep much more.
          Last edited by woodturner; 05-20-2015, 07:26 PM.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

3-in-1 for motors (blue container, not the red) is non-detergent. It is exactly what is called for in this case.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Not an expert here, but considering that is pulley-driven, and it appears heavy, I'm inclined to think that normal 3-in-1 is much too light an oil to provide adequate lubrication. IMO, a light machine oil is designed for just that...light-weight use, like for sewing machines, small motor, and similar mechanisms that not under load stress. I'd be more inclined to use a 20 wt non-detergent oil for this particular device.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• All Thumbs
                Established Member
                • Oct 2009
                • Penn Hills, PA
                • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by cwsmith
                Not an expert here, but considering that is pulley-driven, and it appears heavy, I'm inclined to think that normal 3-in-1 is much too light an oil to provide adequate lubrication. IMO, a light machine oil is designed for just that...light-weight use, like for sewing machines, small motor, and similar mechanisms that not under load stress. I'd be more inclined to use a 20 wt non-detergent oil for this particular device.

CWS
                3-in-1 in the blue can is precisely that, it is SAE 20 non-detergent.

Keep those small motors humming happily with this versatile motor lubricant.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith

CWS

I don't think 3-in-1 is a light oil; I would not use it for... sewing machines, fishing reels or watches.

It's probably the right stuff for your sander bushing.

Incidentally the 3 uses are lubricating, penetrating, cleaning. that's what the "3" in 3-in-1 stands for.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Hey, I said I wasn't an expert!

'3-IN-1' (red and black label) appears to be the same viscosity as Gunk 'Super Oil' which is labelled as a "premium machine oil ", "ideal for lubricating hinges, locks, casters, springs, wheels, firearms, fishing reels, sewing machines, appliances... " etc. They may have different properties. I'm not familiar with the 3-IN-1 blue label. I've always used the Gunk product and 3-IN-1 for lightweight applications and 20 and 30 wt oils for heavy motors and bearings that may be under load.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I am going with the 3 in 1. If it starts smoking or blowing up, I will come back and let you know you were right, CWS, LOL.

Thanks for all the replies. As usual, I learned a lot.
                      Last edited by JoeyGee; 05-21-2015, 08:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks.
                      Joe

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                        I am going with the 3 in 1. If it starts smoking or blowing up, I will come back and let you know you were right, CWS, LOL.

Thanks for all the replies. As usual, I learned a lot.
                        You do know that mechanical things like that DO have a "smoke" box inside, don't you. Just don't puncture that box and let the smoke out! Oil it good!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                          20 weight non-detergent oil - or at least that's what Delta specifies in the manual. 3 in 1 may also be OK - the manufacturer says it is 20W - but I'm not sure what else might be in the oil, such as detergents, so it would not be my first choice.
                          JoeyGee,

Just in case you missed it, I posted a link to the manual for your sander in my prior reply (it seems like links are not so obvious in the new software - just click on the blue "manual" word in the prior reply
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...