• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

What is this?

LOML asked me what this was. She has a friend that works at Salvation Army and someone donated this. No one knows what it is.
    Attached Files
    Lee
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's used by proctologists. You turn the little white gear to spread things apart.

Actually, I have no idea.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
      LOML asked me what this was. She has a friend that works at Salvation Army and someone donated this. No one knows what it is.
      What is the size range? 4" to 6" maybe? Does the white gear move the thinner metal pieces in and out?

Any idea if anything was donated with it that might gives us hints?

My first guess would be a filler for a bag or container - this could attach to the top of the container and hold it open for filling, then the gear might push off and maybe help close the container? That's just a guess, though.
      Last edited by woodturner; 05-21-2015, 05:33 AM.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

In the upper right picture, you can see a slot in the metal band that wraps the interior of the object. It seems that when you turn the larger top gear, you're going to advance the smaller metal band forward and back. I'm also thinking the smaller band is attached to the larger band in the middle with a through rivet so it can slightly pivot. As you advance or reverse the gear, the blue wings open and close. For what purpose, still no idea.

No identifying maker's mark? At first I thought the mirror like finish on the band was significant--like for inspection--but now I don't think so.

Comment

• TimTucker
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2014

Was thinking some sort of exercise equipment -- looks like I was right.

Google image search for "exercise equipment blue" yielded this partway down the list:

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

A hat to keep alien rays from penetrating your skull. Gear makes it adjustable for different head sizes. I thought everybody had one.
            Richard

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Ahh.
              Looks like Tim got it.
              Now that we know what it is, how does it work? What the heck are the gears for?
              Lee

Comment

• TimTucker
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2014

From this video like there may have been a tension adjustment lever missing that connected to the gear.

NSFW link per atgpaul!
                Last edited by Black wallnut; 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by TimTucker

Google image search for "exercise equipment blue" yielded this partway down the list:
                  http://www.amazon.com/Super-Kegel-Pe.../dp/B004Z8Z15W
                  For those that haven't clicked the link, don't do it from your work computer.

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Thanks, Guys. I had no idea.
                    Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

MY MY. That reminds me of a story..... Back in a younger time, when food safety was young in food processing plants we started on a project which included boot washers to be installed in our factory. This washer was a beast, a 3 phase 5 hp beast with brushes that would make a car wash jealous and several different water jets. It was designed to wash white rubber calf knee high boots. I'd already stated that I'd never stick my foot in that thing even if my job depended on it and nobody else stepped up to be first. The plant food scientist, a short man of Oriental decent with a long white lab coat and baggy scrubs pants stepped up to show us how it was to be done! Noting that he only had ankle heigth boots he hit the magic go button! And the beast roared to a start...... And snatched his lab coat to shreds........ He sounded like a girl screaming at her little brother as it snatched his scrub pants down somewhere around his ankles. As the machine coasted to a stop the senior man in the factory was standing in front of half the plant in his underwear screaming that this S.O.#⃣had eat his private parts. Lucky for him the only harm to him was his ego, but it did put a nice shine to his legs, but it did ruin his pants and lab coat! He was the only person to use that machine! I put it right there with the Super Kegel Pelvic Muscle Thigh Exerciser as things that I would not stick any part of my body into!
                      capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Lee,

I added to your reputation for being brave enough to post this!

CapnC. Thanks for posting that. A good laugh to start the morning is great!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

I had no clue what it was, but I thought it looked like some of the jigs and fixtures I see being used on "How it's Made."
                          Maybe a sock press, or mitten maker. Maybe even a pant leg orientation mechanism. Anything but an exercise device.
                          I am certainly thankful for making me aware that I have yet another problem with my body that I was not aware of.
                          Lee

Comment

• phrog
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Capncarl, that's one of the funniest stories I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the laughs.
                            Richard

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by TimTucker
                              The resemblance to a certain doctor's tool struck me as well initially, but did not consider there might be extensions to that concept Good catch!
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...