• Show
Clear All
  • randombetrayal
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2015
    • Greater Lansing Michigan
    • bt 3000

Parts Saw issues

I just the last few months I have gotten the woodworking bug. My father in law has a bt3000 that he said he is going to give me once he finishes a home remodel project he is currently working on.

I started doing some research on the saw and found this wonderful website and the tremendous resource it is - a big thank you to you all for that.

I have done as much reading as I can on the saw and when I was playing with his saw I am certain it has the shim issue ongoing with it now.

So I start looking around CL for used saws as a parts donor as his is missing a few odds and ends as well. I needed the smt fence, the riving knife and I have an idea to use the extra rails to make a frankensaw without the extra saw. Create a single work platform of table saw, assembly table with downdraft sanding space and router table in one sheet of plywood of surface space. I have not done much more then think and search you tube for similar ideas at this point though.

Anyway I found a saw for $40 bucks and picked it up. Only missing part were the SMT, rip fence, and table top pieces, none of which I need. Figure I can sell a few parts and get at least my money back if not come out ahead on the deal.

I have started taking apart the part saw and it was badly neglected, really rusty, but as the photos show. It looks like the shims are in good condition in the third photo, the tabs on the rear shims are not flattened at this point. One question I had for everyone, is there other parts that I should stock away for potential need in the future? I was thinking at least the belts.

One question I had as I was following black walnuts guide to shim replacement found here;

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

I got to the part where you pull the cover or the guide holder off and it would not budge. I had all screws from the cover and nuts removed from the arbor and still nothing. Eventually I pulled hard enough I pulled the top motor assembly and bearing off with the cover as you can see in the first and second photos. Is this normal? or just the cover rusted to the arbor so badly that it won't come apart? It is not a bid deal as I did not need the parts but was just wondering if this is something I can expect once I actually get to my saw I will be keeping or is there some trick I am missing as I don't want this to happen on the other saw.

Thanks for any insight.
    Attached Files
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Sometimes the parts are stuck together, sounds normal to me. If it were me I would keep the motor, arbor, belts, and any moving parts. Surplus the case, guide holder and locker bracket as those are not exactly wear items.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• randombetrayal
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2015
      • Greater Lansing Michigan
      • bt 3000

Ok, sounds good, anyone have an idea on how to separate the guide holder from the arbor and pulley? I have not had any success thus far with pulling or prying with a screwdriver. I can't see anything that is still attached. There is a little play back and forth but it will not break free.

Comment

Working...