• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I made it through the weekend. I am praying for no more rain for about a week and a half, that way my floor insurance will be effective...

It wasn't rising waters, but rather blown rain that bypassed my garage door seals, I now have a mess on the shop / garage floor to clean up.... Need to run the AC in there to dry it up...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
      I can remember not to many years ago Texas suffered a severe drought. All politics aside Mother Nature does her thing her way. California will get our soon. Been through a couple in my lifetime, only difference now is the large population it affects. Thoughts and prayers are with Texas.
      Not sure what you mean by difference in large populations that are effected. Texas is fairly densely populated, particularly the Houston / Galveston Metro region. Yes Los Angeles is a bit bigger, but here in Houston we are the 4th largest city nationwide, and I think 2nd or 3rd largest Metro area if you count from Galveston to Conroe, and Mont Belvieu to Katy.

I am still trying to figure out why, most folks outside of Texas / Louisiana have no clue just how large the Houston Metro area really is... I figure it's because we aren't important to the big media types...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I applied for assistance from FEMA to at least get the carpet out and replaced due to the potential of mold developing. The claim was denied because I am able to live in the house. The wife had a bad flare up of her COPD a few days after the flood and has been in the hospital since then. I am going to appeal the decision based on her health problems but, knowing the federal government, don't have any high hopes of a reversal.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Pappy,

I just saw this topic... haven't been around much.

I would trash the carpet either way. You can get the top as dry as you want, its the carpet backing and/or padding that gets moldy. I did a $200,000+ mold remediation project 2 years ago and learned a lot I didn't want to know about carpet and mold. There are some great products out there that can be used to kill mold spores before and after removal. The bad news is some varieties of mold spores can still be toxic even when dead. The worse news is dead mold spores are still seen as mold spores when doing a typical mold spore test with a spore trap.

Once the carpet is out it would be worth renting 2 Hepa air purifiers (if you can find a rental that carries them) and letting them run for a few days in various areas 24/7. They will grab the spores that are floating in the air and trap them in the filter.

What I have at work:

Trusted by millions of homes! A US based small company with big appliance dreams. Enjoy a more comfortable home with a beverage fridge, wine cooler, freezers, cigar humidors, ice makers, portable AC units, heaters, and more.

Comment

• All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by Hellrazor
            Pappy,

I just saw this topic... haven't been around much.

I would trash the carpet either way. You can get the top as dry as you want, its the carpet backing and/or padding that gets moldy. I did a $200,000+ mold remediation project 2 years ago and learned a lot I didn't want to know about carpet and mold. There are some great products out there that can be used to kill mold spores before and after removal. The bad news is some varieties of mold spores can still be toxic even when dead. The worse news is dead mold spores are still seen as mold spores when doing a typical mold spore test with a spore trap.

Once the carpet is out it would be worth renting 2 Hepa air purifiers (if you can find a rental that carries them) and letting them run for a few days in various areas 24/7. They will grab the spores that are floating in the air and trap them in the filter.

What I have at work:

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/f...QZEaAhHN8P8HAQ
            I agree. Appeal (I can't believe they'd deny that, wth?) but either way that carpet is a goner.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Get the carpet out now, every day you wait the mold multiplies exponentially. During our 94 flood it was several weeks to a month before we were able to get back into some of out flood houses to do the tear outs. Some of our crew is still suffering from respiratory problems that I suspect was caused by this mold.
              capncarl

Comment

Working...