• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Water Softeners

My water softener has need replacement for years and has now taken to flooding the laundry room during regeneration rather than politely using the drain line provided for it. Has anyone used any of the non-conventional water softeners with success, e.g magnetic, potassium etc? I generally like to try new things but the only things that I've hear good about the magnetic ones come from people selling them.
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Nope. I put in a Whirlpool water softener from Lowe's when the one on our new-to-us house had a non-functional unit right when we moved in. Had to add a whole house filter too (same brand). Both seem to work fine.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

I installed a Sears with built-in filter and have been very happy... Seems to always be on sale. http://m.sears.com/kenmore-elite-hyb...p-04238520000P

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I'll have to look, my system is a multiphase softener / reverse osmosis filtration system. I had it installed, labor and permits were the biggest part of the cost which wasn't exactly cheap... But it works oh so nice...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I replaced ours a little over a year ago, and just replaced my mom's a couple of months ago with a similar unit. In both cases they were purchased from Mills Fleet Farm and are their own brand.

I would highly recommend you don't use a softener that has the two tanks nested (the resin tank inside of the brine tank). Unless you live in a warm climate this is guaranteed to cause salt bridges. Why? Our groundwater in MN is about 50 degrees. What happens when you put a glass of ice water out in the summer? Right, the glass sweats. The same thing happens in your softener when the resin tank fills up with that 50 degree water... and if it's sitting in your brine tank, that moisture will wick into the salt, causing bridging. I celebrated the day my old softener died so I could replace it with one that I didn't have to de-bridge all the time. Haven't had a single salt bridge in the new softener in almost a year and a half.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

I hadn't thought of the salt bridge issue. I've been breaking them up for years and keep a piece of pipe next to the water softener for just that purpose. I actually ordered another one with the resin tank in the brine tank because I didn't like the condensation on the floor. I guess I'll be breaking up salt bridges for another couple of decades now.
            Chr's

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Odd, I have one with the resin tank in the brine tank, and never had a salt bridge in the 10 or so years I had this model. I never fill it to more than about 40%, I read somewhere that would help. Maybe it really does!

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002

Keeping it less than full may be the trick. With my travel schedule, I don't have an option as I'm often away for weeks and the women of the house have decided that moving salt is NOT women's work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Chr's

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by gerti
                  Odd, I have one with the resin tank in the brine tank, and never had a salt bridge in the 10 or so years I had this model. I never fill it to more than about 40%, I read somewhere that would help. Maybe it really does!
                  I'm sure that will help, as you have much less salt available to bridge (the bottom 6-10" or so will be underwater anyway). But of course you're filling your softener much more often too.

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Interesting. I've never had a salt bridge in the 13 years I've been in this house (nested tank). Part of that is probably the fact that we have super hard water and little kids using lots of water so we have to recharge every 2-3 days. However, even the pellets that have been dunked don't tend to weld themselves together like rock-salt does. I do tend to fill the thing to the top, but also let it run almost all the way down before refilling.

Comment

Working...