Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop cleanup ideas.

Hey folks,

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, my shop is a grade A prime disaster right now. I haven't tackled any real wood projects since December, due to other pressing issues, and my wife seems to think that my shop is still a garage to store junk in...

We are 7 of 10 credit accounts paid off (not counting mortgage), and rushing so much closer to being debt free, but by the same token, I am also Shed free, so storage space is at a premium. I need to maximize the efficient use of what storage space I have while I am in there. I know I need to build a proper sheet goods / cutoffs rack. Properly designed, I can compress my sheet goods and cutoffs into less floor space than my existing sheet goods storage which is leaning in at an angle, and kind of ends up fanning out at the bottom sucking up floor space..

I have a wide variety of "stuff" that needs to be stored, and some of it just needs to go away. I have a lawn service, but I still have a mower, weed eater, edger etc... I need to probably unload those.

So with it all broken down, I will likely sell, or hand down within the family my mower, edger, weed eater, 30 gallon galvanized trash can that I am using for cutoffs now, and a few other doo dads.

So aside from purging no longer needed equipment, what space saving tips and projects do you guys have that will help me compress my used space, and maximize my available floor space?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I don't think there is any hope for compressing and maximizing shop space. Humans have always been hunter/gatherers. We have mostly evolved away from the hunter part but have replaced that with more gathering, thus our shops fill up with all the clutter that we gather. All of my compression and maximization of space ideas seem to displace something else that gets propped up against the work bench. Last weekend my 2 sons were in town and I marched them to the shop and tried to fill up their vehicles with any tools that I have duplicates of and supplies that I will never use and materials that have been bought and the project changed. Didn't work very well, only got rid of a couple bushel baskets full. I hauled 2 wheelbarrow loads of cut offs and drops to the neighbors fire pit, liked to killed me to see it go but it barely dinted the pile.
    capncarl

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Start with the stuff that gets dumped in the shop. That stopped when I started brining it into the house and dumping it the dumpees bedroomroom or office. We ended up dedicating storage space in the house. If it doesn't fit in there, it isn't needed.

The stuff you still need to keep but don't use often, luggage (unless you're me), Christmas decorations camping gear, etc. Put it on shelves that leave as little space between the ceiling and the stuff as possible.

Start builidng cabinets and putting stuff away, or hang it on pegboard or slatwall, or in drawers in rolling carts. It took me thirty years to figure out that your shop will never be clean and you'll never be able to find anything until everything has a spot, and everything is in its spot.
      Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I am admittedly the wrong person to be giving anyone advice on maintaining a clean anything. I am probably a borderline hoarder. I might need that sliver of wood later. Shouldn't I be responsible and try to recycle that extra bolt or keep it in my bin? It goes on and on.

I now keep an offcut box that reminds me of the scene in the 2nd Indiana Jones movie where you'd be crazy to stick your hand into for fear of some bug crawling all over your hands. I make a cut. Is it odd shaped and not good for anything else? Yep, practice my two point shot into the bin. When it gets a little full, it goes to my fire pit. I also keep a trash bin nearby to the TS where any weird offcuts of ply or MDF go. This has helped. For me out of sight really is out of mind.

I have also stopped buying wood and am disciplining myself to use what I've got before I buy more including sheet goods. Sheet goods take up too much space and if I do manage to keep that organized, I'm either going to need what's in front of it or behind it soon enough.

I also tried really hard to clean up as I worked. Really hard, but that lasted about a week. I think, for me, if I don't created a space for X, Y, Z, it's going to end up in its last location which will probably be my assembly table.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Going through things a bit last night, I have a drawer in my mechanics tool box that is literally packed to the point of barely being able to open it with loose drill bits, taps, and dies. LOTS of duplication here. I got the stuff when I used to manage a hardware store that shut down. These were literally junk that was under the tool shelves when we tore it all down. Mostly Ace Hardware and Vermont American branded stuff.

I need to grab one of those cheap HF plastic toolbox sets and just sit there and sort the crap out. I am pretty sure I can completely empty 2 tool box drawers, including the large drawer on bottom from things like R12 A.C. test and repair tools. Like I am ever going to work on an R12 system again... I have a rusted old pair of Pilot 6" off road lights that just needs to go away, a pair of KC Daylighter covers blah blah blah. Purge time!

Any idea if any charities could make use of this type of excess? The tools I mean, not the rusted light buckets... I would rather see my old stuff go to help someone else rather than just putting it in the recycle bin...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

When I installed my Christmas present wall mount wood storage rack I purposely eliminated my sheet goods rack. There is no need for me to store sheet stock. I will buy it as I need it, and only as much as I need, and lately I have bought half and quarter sheets of ply rather than have the cut offs from a full sheet in the way, more money / sf but no storage problem. It would have probably warped and been unusable when I wanted it anyway!
            capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Dbhost, if you have the place to put one a storage system like this will hold a way lot of nuts, bolts, drill bits, taps and everything small. I built this one when I moved into this shop. I should have painted it but didn't. Each swing out is double sided so storage is twice what is seen and there is storage on the walls behind and on each side of each swing out. There is no doubt it will hold some stuff, just look at the wear on the epoxy coated concrete floor where the wheels ride.
              capncarl
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	787256

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                When I installed my Christmas present wall mount wood storage rack I purposely eliminated my sheet goods rack. There is no need for me to store sheet stock. I will buy it as I need it, and only as much as I need, and lately I have bought half and quarter sheets of ply rather than have the cut offs from a full sheet in the way, more money / sf but no storage problem. It would have probably warped and been unusable when I wanted it anyway!
                capncarl
                I am planning on the sheet goods providing sufficient space for about 4 sheets of 3/4 and 4 sheets of 1/2" stock. I would use it fast, but need the storage for it as I work through the project using it.

Seasonal stuff like Christmas ornaments, camping gear etc... are stowed in the attic. I had decked my attic about 7 or 8 years ago for this.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                  I had decked my attic about 7 or 8 years ago for this.
                  Is your attic rated for load? Typically trusses in newer houses are not rated for any dead load - so it is not safe to store anything in the attic.

Have you found a solution to the heat issue? Even around here, the attic typically gets to 120F or more in the summer, hot enough to damage many things.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• MBG
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Chicago, Illinois.
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by capncarl
                    Dbhost, if you have the place to put one a storage system like this will hold a way lot of nuts, bolts, drill bits, taps and everything small. I built this one when I moved into this shop. I should have painted it but didn't. Each swing out is double sided so storage is twice what is seen and there is storage on the walls behind and on each side of each swing out. There is no doubt it will hold some stuff, just look at the wear on the epoxy coated concrete floor where the wheels ride.
                    capncarl
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21854[/ATTACH]
                    Ha thought you were suggesting he us the space above for storage with the up-side-down picture.

Joking aside I'm in a garage/shop also. I have two HeavyLift devices that use a cable system to crank a rack to the ceiling. I use one for sheet goods and another to hold my track say cutting table. I attach my drill to the crank to make life easier. I think these are rated for around 300#:

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

How do you like having a ceiling fan in the garage/shop? I've thought about doing this but can't commit. I have a window AC but sometimes just want to circulate the air, not condition it.

Comment

• MBG
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Chicago, Illinois.
                        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                        How do you like having a ceiling fan in the garage/shop? I've thought about doing this but can't commit. I have a window AC but sometimes just want to circulate the air, not condition it.
                        I run it on low all the time. Seems to keep humidity down. I also heat and cool the shop when needed so it helps circulate the air well.

Mike

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

MBG, you have a baby boat lift in your shop! Now I ve seen about everything!
                          I keep a circulator fan running all the time to keep the air temp equalized in my shop. The ac is in the wood shop side and will there will be a 10 degree difference if I don't keep the air moving. The 2 filter fans run most of the time as well.
                          capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, I got absolutely zero done this past weekend. I ended up in the Dr. office having thrown my back out again. Finally got a referral for a Chiropractor. I unfortunately spent the majority of the weekend pretty much crashed out due to the meds... Yuck. I have stuff to do! Need to set the appointment with the Chiropractor, unfortunately the gulf looks like it has other ideas for me... Big storm coming our way tonight / tomorrow... Chrio offices going to be closed! Ugh...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                              It helps some but its definately not Airconditioning.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...