• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Google won't let me link images

I upload pics from my phone to my Google photos folders. In the past I could right click on a photo in Google and copy the URL which would include the "jpg" extension and then use that in posts here or elsewhere. It seems they don't support this anymore (or do they?). The URL you get now has no extension so I can't insert their URL into my posts.

I'm not ready to sign up for another service and want to try to get it to work with Google. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Paul
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

It does look like Google Photos does not have the settings now, maybe since they have made changes recently (they are promoting Google Photos as something new and different, though I can't figure out what). The shareable link they offer is for drawing people to your Google+ and does not help with stuff we need the jpg name for, like posting images here.

But we still have another way to access our pictures: thru https://picasaweb.google.com; type that URL, and you see your pictures at the Picasa Web Albums. Now locate your album and click on it.
    First ascertain that the album is not private (which does not allow links): below the album name and above the thumbnails, use the 'Action' drop-down to get to your album properties, and change the Visibility to 'public' (the 'anyone with a link' should work too, but I have not tried it).

Now click on the image you want to share. You should see an option on the right "Link to this photo" which expands to "Link" (ignore it) and "Embed Image", which gives you the bare jpg link once you select the check box 'Image Only'.

And while you might rightfully complain that there should be an easier way, please keep your fingers crossed that they don't take away this option. I refuse to use any service that forces me to join a 'social network', which is what their attempt at promoting Google+ is.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thank you! I didn't need to go through the steps, though. Once I saw my image, I right clicked in Firefox to View Image and I was able to copy the URL which had the included jpg extension. Maybe I was already sharing that album from all the clicking I did yesterday.

Maybe they've always had Picasaweb but it sure looks a lot like their old Google Sites which they kind of scrapped and moved all the images to Photos.

I do have a Facebook account, but I'm not about to start using Google+ just to share pictures. I'm strongly considering getting my own domain, but I also wouldn't mind paying Google some money to host my pictures and not make me jump through so many hoops.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Getting your own domain is a slippery slope....... If you have the file on your "local" drive best solution is to upload the image(s) into the thread you are creating or replying to.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          Getting your own domain is a slippery slope....... If you have the file on your "local" drive best solution is to upload the image(s) into the thread you are creating or replying to.
          Uploading is fine for this site, but not all sites do that. You have to link from another site. I also don't have to adjust my image size before I upload to BT3 if I use a link.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            Uploading is fine for this site, but not all sites do that. You have to link from another site. I also don't have to adjust my image size before I upload to BT3 if I use a link.
            Yup then there is that. Another reason to host in one location is so you don't have to remember where you hosted each image. I've not found an easy way to move images from my smart phone(s) to my domain however sharing to social media and uploading to forums is fairly easy. Social media is the easiest by far.

©

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I hadn't noticed the change to Google+ photos until you brought it up. That seriously stinks. I used to use Webshots, they went bad, now Google is going bad... for image hosting.

I tested an image on another forum I frequent but the version of vBulletin we are on doesn't like it...

I will see what can be done with it.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Seems site specific. The other forum I frequent that I link to is based off of the same version of vBulletin we are on... Might be a configuration we have, might be an extension they have that we don't. This requires research... Of course it wouldn't be a problem at all if Google would have just let things be...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                  • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

vBulletin 4 does have the option of resizing images automatically as they are uploaded. I just took a look at the configuration, and it is turned on but the maximum image size is unlimited so it is essentially not working.

Again, great for this site, but not for others.
                  Chr's

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Paul, that's something I did not know - getting the url from image works just as good!

I tried it just now, and it works even for images that I had not explicitly shared - so looks like that limitation is not binding.

Thank you! I didn't need to go through the steps, though. Once I saw my image, I right clicked in Firefox to View Image and I was able to copy the URL which had the included jpg extension. Maybe I was already sharing that album from all the clicking I did yesterday.

Maybe they've always had Picasaweb but it sure looks a lot like their old Google Sites which they kind of scrapped and moved all the images to Photos.

I do have a Facebook account, but I'm not about to start using Google+ just to share pictures. I'm strongly considering getting my own domain, but I also wouldn't mind paying Google some money to host my pictures and not make me jump through so many hoops.
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Okay the process for linking Google+ photos is as follows. And mind you, I am using Chrome browser, YMMV.

#1. With the image you want to share up on Google+ photos, right click the image, and select Copy Image URL.

#2. In your post write up your stuff, and click the Insert Image icon.

#3. Select the From URL tab. Paste your URL into the data field and uncheck the Retrieve the remote file check box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	retrieve-unchecked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	787270

Your image should successfully attach.

Last edited by dbhost; 06-25-2015, 10:12 AM. Reason: Adding instructions.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

FWIW if you leave the box checked it just creates a link to your image.

©

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          FWIW if you leave the box checked it just creates a link to your image.
                          Tried that, it complains about invalid URL. At least from within Chrome.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                            Tried that, it complains about invalid URL. At least from within Chrome.
                            Well it is supposed to create a link......... HMMMM

©

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I saw this on another forum and it worked for me here to post Google Photo images in-line. It was posted by an old SDZ member, crokett.

In Google Photos, click on your image, then right click on the image and select View Image (I use Firefox). Copy the URL.

Back on SDZ, click on the underlined "A" icon to display the advanced editing options. Click on the Image icon on the toolbox and paste your URL into the popup box. Then add "?.jpg" to the end of the URL. See the before and after below. I don't check the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box in that popup. Your image will now appear in-line in your post.

"https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/weE_qphEFhR2WnEUh8UarfI6OFZ7mB3SFCw6ZBC5N_DPmHEyvh ONQ1i37BP-xRPiQs7vjnV_EMryTbfzVBilqHgrtSsF8YuanMs3rtBjubCzpm kcTAzPEcpgfTNTDzWGbFlOC387Ao8Ws_OsoIRstHFUtg1bxI-8K75jTIdW6UE0JHUWh_fC2UKYU-xWNq3df5u43mEX1lRax7Qy96zSywBdUugZMjxL7P8mCZUUxs8B 6x52pGtoHmCzBHrP_0uXiVwRwUN9qg1RfnCLjdR2wtx7Cs5ao6 bsvvPE1DWTM0SovND1wrUbaNhfrUiCVGXAjVVZ1xFC9mbjEJ6S CgStRMAYCs6HrVaKo5Doi_cRTaqtjJYbcVb12kmiFeMSOTH1MY B9OQdtpNe2oROGSCEZzQN6_GIpCGp27tbKqfOq552skKP410Hg LvVEkn3AFikkWdpCjetoG6TaSmpjmBLmxzr-aD_CZhChtOtTsVzmUpFsHOH0D3PvedNf6n3yhylRVj-vrhG70G25mazymPUb6N2I-3wQsq73LuNB4UQuluXO9YrDJBOg3b6Kka_a7EhADvxFvecs7Wb 9ufo7z-GC6FXvDejVccM=w1001-h431-no"

"https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/weE_qphEFhR2WnEUh8UarfI6OFZ7mB3SFCw6ZBC5N_DPmHEyvh ONQ1i37BP-xRPiQs7vjnV_EMryTbfzVBilqHgrtSsF8YuanMs3rtBjubCzpm kcTAzPEcpgfTNTDzWGbFlOC387Ao8Ws_OsoIRstHFUtg1bxI-8K75jTIdW6UE0JHUWh_fC2UKYU-xWNq3df5u43mEX1lRax7Qy96zSywBdUugZMjxL7P8mCZUUxs8B 6x52pGtoHmCzBHrP_0uXiVwRwUN9qg1RfnCLjdR2wtx7Cs5ao6 bsvvPE1DWTM0SovND1wrUbaNhfrUiCVGXAjVVZ1xFC9mbjEJ6S CgStRMAYCs6HrVaKo5Doi_cRTaqtjJYbcVb12kmiFeMSOTH1MY B9OQdtpNe2oROGSCEZzQN6_GIpCGp27tbKqfOq552skKP410Hg LvVEkn3AFikkWdpCjetoG6TaSmpjmBLmxzr-aD_CZhChtOtTsVzmUpFsHOH0D3PvedNf6n3yhylRVj-vrhG70G25mazymPUb6N2I-3wQsq73LuNB4UQuluXO9YrDJBOg3b6Kka_a7EhADvxFvecs7Wb 9ufo7z-GC6FXvDejVccM=w1001-h431-no?.jpg"

Comment

Working...