• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Being a clumsy oaf sucks sometimes.

Saturday afternoon I was working in the garden and twisted my ankle when I stepped in a hole left by some hostas that were removed for my daughter's wedding. The radiologist called this morning to tell me it is broken. That's the fourth time I've broken a bone in that leg. That puts me at eleven broken bones lifetime not including fingers and toes.
    Chr's
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Stop doing that! :O
    Walking boot time? Do they make one with a cleat mount? Hope you heal quickly.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

They splinted it in the ER and I made it to my niece's graduation party only half an hour late. My wife is bringing home the boot today from Mayo Clinic where she works. Fortunately, my new son in law is an EMT and was close by when it happened and my wife is an RN and got home just as the kids were getting me into my truck. I guess not kids, they're both 22.
      Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

They are still your kids forever! I stopped wearing regular low top shoes just because of that, stepping in a hole or on something and twisting an ankle when I twisted my ankle on a 4 story building that only had ladder access. Now that I'm retired I mainly wear nike type shoes but change to leather brogan or boots for real work in the yard and garden.
        capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

So... when do you start work on the protective exoskeleton project?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

I, too, twisted my ankle a couple of days ago. I went down like a ton of bricks, landing on shrub head sprinkler. Thankfully the riser broke before I was impaled.
            JR

Comment

• Neal
              Established Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
              • Ryobi BT3000

Dropped a cabinet carcass weighing somewhere around 30 lbs squarely on my big toe right behind the nail. 24 hours later I thought it was going to bust open. 48 hours later I dropped a screwdriver on the same toe in the same spot. The good thing was it punched a hole in the skin. That allowed me to let all of the pressure and swelling off of it. Still going to lose the toe nail at some point.
              Last edited by Neal; 07-01-2015, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Bummer! Knocked on wood three times... Hope you guys heal up quick.

Comment

• MBG
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Chicago, Illinois.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Sorry about the broken bone.

Now I can tell my story from about a month ago. I worked hard all day to assemble a fancy raised bed garden I built. After cleaning up and taking a shower I went in the basement to draw a homebrew - the first one of the day. As I went down the stairs I walked past a laundry basket and whacked my left baby toe on the leg of a weight bench. Yes it was broke. Happens the next morning somehow my wife's phone got wet so I tried to dry it with a heat gun in the garage on my workbench. I went into the garage to make sure all was still going well and when I went to go down the steps to get in the house I was really careful to protect my left foot. Yeah you guessed it I hit my right baby toe on a ladder and broke it too! At least it straightened my walk somewhat.

Mike

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

Goodness, I thought it was just me. With all the self inflicted injuries here, maybe we should become a SawStop forum.
                    Chr's

Comment

Working...