Calling All Computer Nerds! (photo storage)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Calling All Computer Nerds! (photo storage)

My wife has 4000+ photos on her 16GB iPhone. I just bought her an iPad .

1) She doesn't want to delete any photos.
    2) She wants to access photos on her iPhone & iPad
    3) She likes photo editing on both devices

iCloud isn't good for photo storage so I did a google search and find MANY services like dropbox. Anybody have experience and have any recomendations.

Thanks,

Mike
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Are you, or is she familiar with "AirDrop?" It is Apple's default transfer tool for iPads, iPhone and Macs. A few people had had problems with it not working, but it may have been an older OS.

Also, google "how to use AirDrop for iPhone to iPad transfers". You should get several links.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

Thanks - what I'm looking for is an off-device storage so her phone & ipad don't have all the photos stored on them. Just the ones she wants to work on (her phone has virtually no memory space left).

Mike

Comment

• Kem
        Handtools only
        • Jul 2015

The Iphone and the Ipad should have come with cables to sync them to your computer, you could store them on an external drive as well after you sync them to your pc.

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by MBG
          iCloud isn't good for photo storage
          Looking at

iCloud+ provides additional storage and enhanced privacy protections to keep all your photos, files, notes, and more safe and available from anywhere.

it seems like iCloud is exactly what she wants, so why do you say it is not good?

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Personally, I don't like "Cloud" storage... just old-fashioned I guess, but I want control and privacy. Of course I don't do I-anything, and do all my photo work on my computer. Right now, I'm in the middle of digitizing over four thousand photo images dating back to 1943 (My late FIL was an avid photographer).

I believe that photo images that exist in only one place, may well not exist at all; and, if it's out there in the 'Cloud', it's at risk beyond my control. So, I keep all these photos backed up on a couple of giga-byte drives, as well as a thumb drive and that they are stored in different locations.

Of course much depends on the pixel resolution of her images and thus how many giga-bytes her 2,000 images represent. For my project, I'm making all of these at slightly better than HD-quality resolution 1800 x 1200. I figure that I'll probably not make prints from any of these, and that the general display device for most of the family will be a wide-screen TV at 1040p.

Probably not much of a help, but I thought it worth mentioning,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• MBG
              • Apr 2003
              • Chicago, Illinois.
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Kem
              The Iphone and the Ipad should have come with cables to sync them to your computer, you could store them on an external drive as well after you sync them to your pc.
              Originally posted by gerti
              Looking at

iCloud+ provides additional storage and enhanced privacy protections to keep all your photos, files, notes, and more safe and available from anywhere.

it seems like iCloud is exactly what she wants, so why do you say it is not good?
              Originally posted by cwsmith
              Personally, I don't like "Cloud" storage... just old-fashioned I guess, but I want control and privacy. Of course I don't do I-anything, and do all my photo work on my computer. Right now, I'm in the middle of digitizing over four thousand photo images dating back to 1943 (My late FIL was an avid photographer).

I believe that photo images that exist in only one place, may well not exist at all; and, if it's out there in the 'Cloud', it's at risk beyond my control. So, I keep all these photos backed up on a couple of giga-byte drives, as well as a thumb drive and that they are stored in different locations.

Of course much depends on the pixel resolution of her images and thus how many giga-bytes her 2,000 images represent. For my project, I'm making all of these at slightly better than HD-quality resolution 1800 x 1200. I figure that I'll probably not make prints from any of these, and that the general display device for most of the family will be a wide-screen TV at 1040p.

Probably not much of a help, but I thought it worth mentioning,

CWS
              What I would like is something like iTunes but for photos. For music and apps you can always have everything on your computer and then pick/choose what you want on your limited storage device (iPad or iPhone). As far as I have found you can copy your photos onto your computer but it's not managed. For example, if I want to sync every month I get a new copy of everything on the phone including lots of duplicates. With music/apps iTunes knows to just back up the newly added from last sync.

I thought iCLoud would work but it has limitations on # of photos, how long it keeps them, and 5GB limit.

I also have a 500GB wireless HDD that could store her photos but my wife is not very computer savvy so I need something simple & automatic. Guess something like iCloud just with larger capacity.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by MBG
                What I would like is something like iTunes but for photos. For music and apps you can always have everything on your computer and then pick/choose what you want on your limited storage device (iPad or iPhone). As far as I have found you can copy your photos onto your computer but it's not managed. For example, if I want to sync every month I get a new copy of everything on the phone including lots of duplicates. With music/apps iTunes knows to just back up the newly added from last sync.

I thought iCLoud would work but it has limitations on # of photos, how long it keeps them, and 5GB limit.

I also have a 500GB wireless HDD that could store her photos but my wife is not very computer savvy so I need something simple & automatic. Guess something like iCloud just with larger capacity.

Thanks,

Mike
                We may be talking from two perspectives here, but I will give it a try.

1. I have about 15,000 photos (58 gig) on my Mac, with about 15 albums set up. The majority of my photos are NOT in my albums. I was able to select which "album" to show up on my iPhone and it updates that album(s) when I sync it the iPhone with my computer.

2. I take quite a few picts with my iPhone. I download the photos to the computer and delete them from the iPhone. After I manage them on the computer and put which ones I want into a linked album, it automatically updates them to the iPhone when I sync.

Some photos, I edit them on the iPhoto app, but some I pull off and edit in Photoshop and re-add them to the iPhoto and into specific album for syncing.

BTW, I signed up for the beta version of system updates of OSX and have been using the iPhoto replacement "Photos" for several months now - it will be coming out this fall. A vast majority of users like the "Photos" app better than the iPhoto app for managing pictures. There is a difference in layout and operation that everyone seems to like, but I can't tell any difference personally except for different layout which was learned. The Albums that I had in iPhoto transferred into "Photos" app and they synced to the iPhone photo app just fine.

One other thing: iCloud - I don't have a problem with iCloud security wise - the problem with stolen photos is a matter of two step security code, which I am finding that I have to do in on-line banking. (My main banking is three step security code). It is a pain but without it, the potential for hacking is there. Not into Apple but into your account by easy security codes. With Apple's track record of privacy, I personally would trust them,
                . . . BUT - I am just not going to pay for their iCloud upgrade on a monthly basis. It is not that expensive, but I just don't need to keep 15,000 photos there. I haven't taken the time to see how I can keep certain albums only on iCloud that would certainly be under the size limit without getting into the paid storage.
                Last edited by leehljp; 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...