X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Screwdriver handle allen/hex drivers

I need a set of small screwdriver handle Allen wrench. There are few out there. Anyone have good recommendations. I was thinking maybe one of these. I would prob need both sae and metric. Will the ball ends be a problem with smaller screw So?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

nice hex sets. A bit pricey but look like good quality.
    THe downside of ball end hex drivers is that you can break the tips off. The narrowing is a weak point and there's overall less tool metal against the hex socket making it easier to round off. When that happens you just push the end against a grinder wheel and square it off. A good hex driver now but no longer ball end.

The advantage of the ball end is that you can drive the screw from slightly off axis when the screw is hard to access.

So Personally I'd say you need four sets. Ball end straight end, metric, SAE. Cost about $80, then!

OK so if you are tool junkie you get both square end and ball end and use the square end when breaking screws loose and the ball end when needing drive angle access that off axis.
    Don't forget a set of 3/8 drive and 1/4 drive for your socket wrench and also an long handled T-set about 9" long.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rcp612
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
      • Bosch 4100-09

It appears as though neither of those sets have hex shanks to allow what Loring suggests. But, if needing handled drivers, it sounds as if you won't need excess torque so, my suggestion is, get the ones you like/can afford.
      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

We have a set of the Wihas at work and they're nice. When we're servicing equipment the ball end is invaluable because there are always cables or something in the way preventing a straight shot to the bolt head.

One time I needed to remove a very small hex bolt from a machine in order to replace a broken part. This robot costs $3/4 million. I'm searching through our very well equipped machine shop for the right sized key and the smallest I could find was 1.5mm. We determined it was probably 1mm. I needed it NOW and couldn't wait for Grainger. I went home and grabbed my cheapo set I got at HF. Comes with something like 50 interchangeable bits. Sure enough, it had the right sized bit! So in addition to all of our Wiha and Bondhus sets, I've got a HF one, too.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

$80 ouch. I just need a small set to work on small screws for my new hobby , rc multirotors. I was hoping to keep it under $20. I realized now I worded it wrong. The link was just an example of the type of tool I was looking for. The wiha is probably way too much for my needs. Maybe I'll check out HF this weekend.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...