• Show
Clear All
  • rabmax
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Apr 2015
    • Henderson Nevada
    • BT 3000

9 inch bandsaw

I do furniture and picture frames. Can I get some use out of a 9 inch bandsaw, it is a practical purchase? I am looking at a Ryobi BS903, which has a good write up. I am also considering the Skill 3386 which was rates even higher.

Your comments are appreciated.

rabmax
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I'm not familiar with the BS903, but I do have the BS902 and have been very happy with it. Unfortunately our local Home Depot does a really poor job of displaying tools anymore, and I rarely go there. I was under the impression that the BS903 had been replaced some time ago, but I just visited the Ryobi web site and I can't find any mention of a band saw by any model number. The model I recall had a table with a front extension and a fan-type lower wheel. Main feature of that later model was a better bearing design for the blade guides and the thrust bearing. Mine uses those steel blocks (like shaft-key steel) for the blade sides and the side of a bearing to limit blade thrust. The newer design used three bearings, one on each side of the blade spine, and for thrust, they place the bearing rim directly behind the blade. Much better design in my opinion.

I bought my BS902 back in 2005, IIRC. Can't say that it is a really precision tool, but it's about the safest wood cutting tool that I own, though it's not really the tool of choise if I'm going to crosscut or rip a board, as the blade will drift a bit. But for cutting curves, like for trim or ornaments, it does a fine job. Much has to do with proper adjustments of both tension and bearing support, and even de-burring the back edge of the blade.

Craftsman used to have a pretty nice 'all-steel' bandsaw which was reportedly better that the aluminum and plastic Ryobi... but it was about $40 more.

I can't say that I use the little bandsaw a lot, but it comes in very handy for quicky cuts of almost anything small. I've cut everything from PVC to plastic sheeting with mine. It proved ideal for making a 'Pinewood Derby' car, and I've used it for cutting small wood items. It's the ideal tool for closeup work, and I feel very safe using it. (I would never get my fingers anywhere that close to the blade on a table or any other circular saw.)

Overall, I think my little BS902 was a great buy. It's never given me a problem. One point to make, with any band saw, is to release the blade tension after use to keep the blade from stretching. On my BS902, I use four small spring clamps to keep the blade on the wheel, otherwise it falls off the wheels when the tension is released.

There are a number of books and articles to help you understand how to adjust and use a bandsaw. A good understanding is essential to being happy with whatever brand you decide on.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM. Reason: Date correction (see bold italic): 1995 should be 2005 - "Brain disconnect"
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I've owned a number of smaller band saws, smaller than the much copied 14" Delta, and gave each one away because they were so unreliable. I think all of these small saws were 3 wheel machines and constantly threw blades. My recommendation would be shop around for a larger 12" or 14" 2 wheeler. There is a good selection of really good blades for these saws that turn a good saw into a great saw. Good used band saws do come up occasionally.
      capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

There's a point to CapnCarls answer.

My longstanding answer to bandsaws is that there are three main uses for bandsaws.
        One is for cutting curves.
        Two is for resawing thick planks and logs
        Three is for making stopped cuts and notches.

A 9" bandsaw will probably handle the first and third OK.
        But for resawing anything the 9" bandsaw is probably going to have about a 4" height limit.

Which is not much.
        6 or 7" is probably a lot more useful. That requires a 14" bandsaw. The copies of the Delta style 14" bandsaw all allow the use of risers to increase the depth by another 6" to as much as 12-13" and that's something no other shop tool can do.

At Consider a 14" which is the sweet spot for cost.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Going from no band saw to any band saw (other than 3 wheels, which are trouble) would be a quantum leap. Once I got mine, I found tons of uses (quick cuts, stopped cuts, band saw boxes, etc) that I didn't even think of before buying one. I have the Craftsman 10" which I really like, but I do run into size limitations. I don't resaw, but I have wanted to make some larger band saw box type projects and I ran out of clearance. Once I have a jointer and planer, I will do some resawing and will want a bigger band saw for that.

I guess my point is, if a 9" is all you want/can spend on, you will find uses for it and with a good blade and setup, you will be happy for awhile, but you will likely want to upgrade in the future.
          Joe

Comment

• rabmax
            SawdustZone Patron
            • Apr 2015
            • Henderson Nevada
            • BT 3000

Thank you Joe, for your reply. Quite frankly, at 83 years of age and a 17 year old BT3, I am not in line for too many upgrades. I think the 9 inch would be fun to play with, being as I have the credit anyway. I could put it too some use, so back to the store for another look.

rabmax

Comment

Working...