• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David D
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2009
    • Richmond, VA

Chisel recommendations?

I am learning that I need to start procuring some decent chisels, but man, you can spend some SERIOUS money on these things! I own ONE chisel right now (a 1" Stanley Contractor Grade), and would like to start buying some decent ones, but have no idea where to start.

Any recommendations?
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

I really like my veritas PM-V11 but they are pretty spends especially if it's your first non-beater chisels. I initially got the Narex chisels and really like those. A lot of stores care them.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• David D
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2009
      • Richmond, VA

I saw the Narex chisels on Lee Valley and liked the price. Good to know you have a positive experience with them.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

At the same time you are looking for chisels, look for a decent sharpening system.

A sharp chisel is so much better than a "reasonably sharp" one.
        Last edited by leehljp; 07-02-2015, 09:00 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• David D
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2009
          • Richmond, VA

Yeah, I tried sharpening the one chisel that I own, and messed it up. What's the best (easiest) sharpening system?

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

When I started woodworking, I got a set of Irwin Marples chisels. They have served me well for nearly 15 years. When I got better, I bought a set of Japanese chisels. I reach for the Marples for heavy duty stuff and things like hinges and keep the Japanese chisels for cleaning up dovetails.

Beyond getting chisels, it's more important that you learn how to sharpen. I still use the scary sharp method--sandpaper on a glass plate--with an angle honing guide.

Last edited by atgcpaul; 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by David D
              Yeah, I tried sharpening the one chisel that I own, and messed it up. What's the best (easiest) sharpening system?
              Funny you should ask ...

Sharpening-Woodworking-Chisels

The method Sam describes in the article is the method I've used for years and it's fast, easy, and inexpensive and less messy than anything wet. I bought a kit at Rockler that has everything you need for $40.00 less a penny. Item number 25041
              Chr's

Comment

• David D
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2009
                • Richmond, VA

Thank you for all the replies! I'll check out the sharpening links as well.

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

David,

I too use the Narex chisels, purchasing mine from Lee-Valley. They are pretty decent quality, with very good hardwood handles and ferrules. Really decent size, well made blades and the handles are very comfortable in the hand to use. The Lee-Valley variety that I have are dark-handled and rather handsome (if that matters). To date I have six of the standard bevel-edged, a pair of skew's, and six of the mortise chisels. These were purchased as individual chisels, in the sizes that I would normally use. They do 'sets' but no sense in getting sizes that you may never need. http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/Search.aspx?action=n

Back in 2003 (when I retired) I started updating my woodworking tools and at that time I purchase a four-piece set of Marples from Home Depot. At the time they were made in Sheffield, England and the steel was pretty good. They had blue plastic (high-impact) handles with steel caps. However, soon thereafter they started sourcing them from China and I've read a couple of reports (including one photo of a split chisel) that the steel is poor. While my particular set of Marples has held up, the steel has stained considerably (here in NY the humidity is ridiculous), despite being well oiled. My Narex chisels have not weathered at all.

As far as sharpening is concerned, basically a well-made chisel will only require a bit of touch up. For that, I use a Veritas honing guide ( http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...72,43078,51868 )with wet/dry emory paper (3M auto-finish type) taped to a granite tile. A lot of the guys use this method ("Scary Sharp" ) using a piece of glass. For me, the granite tile is far more durable.

If you want a less laborious sharpening method, a power sharpener is the way to go... but they can be considerably more expensive. Grizzly has a very nice wet sharpener for around $150. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-W...tion/T10010ANV ) The European manufacturer Tormac sells the same design for significantly more and it is very popular. There's also the "Worksharp" which has a fairly unique design and is probably faster than most sharpening methods. It sells for about $200 or so, depending on the retailer. (http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpe...er-ws3000.html)

I hope this helps,

CWS
                  Last edited by cwsmith; 07-02-2015, 11:29 PM.
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• David D
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Richmond, VA

It's good to hear another positive experience with the Narex chisels as I really like the price. The scary sharp sharpening method looks like the way to go for me as well. I like the granite idea, I will definitely use that. Thank you!

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

My "good" chisels are footprint brand. I think the are still sold but I don't know that they are the same quality. I got mine about 20 years ago. I use a Work Sharp 3000 to sharpen them and knives. It uses sandpaper stuck to glass discs turned at a low speed. Pretty painless way to do it.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

I also have a set of the Sheffield Marple chisels as my main users. For rough work, or if I'm not sure what I may find buried in the wood, I have a set of old Stanleys. For finer work I have a set of Sorbys that the wife bought as a Christmas present several years ago.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• durango dude
                          • Mar 2011
                          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I bought a starter set from Woodcraft a few years back.
                          (currently sold as Wood River Utility Set) They're good but not great.

I can't really complain - they're $39 for the set, now ---- and I bought them on sale for $25.

Almost identical set is being sold by Peachtree Woodworking - so I'd hazard a guess
                          that they're produced in the same factory.

They don't keep their edge as well as better chisels.

I think I'd go to Highland Woodworking and buy a Narex set.

There's one catch - the Narex chisels are labeled in metric,
                          so I'm not sure how well they cut standard width (joke)
                          Last edited by durango dude; 07-06-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• durango dude
                            • Mar 2011
                            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

duplicate post
                            Last edited by durango dude; 07-06-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• David D
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2009
                              • Richmond, VA

Originally posted by durango dude
                              I bought a starter set from Woodcraft a few years back.
                              (currently sold as Wood River Utility Set) They're good but not great.

Almost identical set is being sold by Peachtree Woodworking - so I'd hazard a guess
                              that they're produced in the same factory.

They don't keep their edge as well as better chisels.

I think I'd go to Highland Woodworking and buy a Narex set.

There's one catch - the Narex chisels are labeled in metric,
                              so I'm not sure how well they cut standard width (joke)
                              I suppose I should get a standard set AND a metric set so that I'm equipped to build European style cabinets! LOL

I've decided to buy the Narex chisels from Lee Valley. I think they're made to Lee Valley specs and are Imperial sized anyway?
                              Last edited by David D; 07-06-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...