• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I use a german set made by MHG (Messershmitt). You can find them at Hartville tools and at Amazon.
    Very good chisels.
    Alex V

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by jussi
      I really like my veritas PM-V11 but they are pretty spends especially if it's your first non-beater chisels. I initially got the Narex chisels and really like those. A lot of stores care them.
      I also have some Narex and they are a good option.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• thiggy
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Alabama.
        • Craftsman Contractor

I am surprised that no one mentioned estate/garage sales as a source of quality chisels. Of course, you have to cull out the homeowner grade tools, but some nice vintage ones are there for the picking from time-to-time.
        SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by thiggy
          I am surprised that no one mentioned estate/garage sales as a source of quality chisels. Of course, you have to cull out the homeowner grade tools, but some nice vintage ones are there for the picking from time-to-time.
          Good point. I always keep my eyes peeled on CL for such things but most of the chisels I see are the bashed up craftsman/stanley variety. I have found a few odd good ones but quality sets are hard to find.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• David D
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2009
            • Richmond, VA

I don't frequent garage sales and the like as I should. The last "deal" that I was fortunate to find was an older Porter Cable 314 trim saw that I found on Craig's List. I got it for less than half of what they go for on eBay and it was well cared for to boot.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

some guys get lucky at garage and estate sales, but there's not that many woodworkers with the discrimination and money to get top quality tools.
              So when ever I stop at one, it's usually slim pickings for any interesting tools and or electronics gear, if anything.
              I've had the hope based on gloats but I've stopped stopping at them because I think the odds are against me and its not yielding value worth the time.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

For some reason yard sales in our area have changed for a Saturday thing to Friday/Saturday sales with some starting Thursday. With this day change if Saturday is you only day to shop you don't have a chance for fhe flea market and eBay re-sellers.
                capncarl

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Funny, as I was just discussing 'garage sales' with the LOML this past week. Around here, it's nothing but junk. Our street has an annual 'yard sale'' in the beginning of July and the picking arn't much more than the purging of all the useless junk people bought over the last year or so. Last night we got our "Bed, Bath and Beyond" and "Christmas Tree Shops" sales flyers and I said that more and more they just seem to be catering to folks who need to shop everyday... next year we'll see all that stuff at the Garage sales.

We had a store in the area that sold 'estate sale' stuff. The fellow who owned the shop traveled around buying up such items and a couple of years ago I found a very nice Stanley plane for $6. It was made during the WWII, lacking any brass. It was in very nice condition and required only a little clean up. Along with it I purchased nice Stanley #78 and very nice Jewler's saw.

I had a nice chat with the fellow and he told me it was getting harder and harder to stay in business as very few people have any clue as to what to do with any hand tools anymore. He told me "a few months ago I dumped a really nice Shop-Smith because I simply couldn't get rid of it" He sold it for $150. Unfortunately the guy had a heart attack and passed away a few months later. I was glad that I had had the chance to converse with him when I did.

CWS
                  Last edited by cwsmith; 07-10-2015, 07:09 PM.
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Might have better luck with estate sales, or look for garage sales from older people (back before so many imports). With the WWII generation so much gone, it is getting harder to find those that did a lot without a lot of power tools.
                    I do tend to find a one or two, common size thing, rather then sets, like we think we need now (spoiled).
                    I have a few finds, for portable boxes, but at home the whole set things are Marples blue handled (before Irwin, and I wonder if the Footprint ones compare now) as paring chisels and Narex mortising chisels.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...