• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Freud 24 tooth 10 inch rip saw blade

I don't do too much ripping, just on occasion. For the small amount of ripping in the past, I have used the default blades that come on the BT3000. I have about 4 of them.

I am making a set of bunk beds for my daughter and needed some pine post that I cannot find. So I decided to find some good 2x4 pine and glue & clamp them together. I hunted through about 30 2x4s that I had on hand and found 8 that were perfectly straight. Glued them, let them dry and cut to length. With an off-cut, I decide to see how I could rip it into 3x3. The default 36 tooth blade struggled too much on the BT.

I ordered the "
    Freud LU87R010 10-Inch 24-Tooth FTG Thin Kerf Ripping Saw Blade" and it ripped smooth and almost like cutting butter. I looked at the equivalent Freud in the Daiblo blade. There was about $5.00 difference in price and there were slightly better reviews on the Freud LU87R010.

I have both my BT3000 and 3100 in my shop and not enough space. I have been thinking seriously about putting one in storage for a short time. Now I am thinking Rip on one, CrossCut on the other!

I'm not sure of the differences between the Diablo Freud vs the straight Freud, but Ripping was easy with the Freud. I think I had a rip blade once before but it was not a good one and I stayed away from it. Don't have a clue as to where it is, probably somewhere back in Japan.

Like having the right tool, the right blade sure makes a difference! And it was such a difference that I had to post about it!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Both would work, but I think you made the right choice with the LU87....$5 well spent IMO. It has more carbide, and has a flat top grind....IIRC, the D1024 has an ATB grind. Everybody should have a nice rip blade!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I have the regular kerf Freud ripping blade and it also cuts easily on my BT3100. I was surprised at how well it did on crosscuts. When new, there was not much difference on the splintering between it and my usual 40 tooth combination blade.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I have that particular blade and consider it to be the best blade I have. In fact, I've recommended it to some of my friends. I've used it to cut everything from cocobolo to walnut to maple. It works equally well on all of them.
        Richard

Comment

Working...