Not specific to any project but something I needed to learn ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Not specific to any project but something I needed to learn ...

A while back I posted a query about how to make 3D 5 point stars and received several helpful replies. At the time none of the suggestions gave me a warm fuzzy about trying the execution and so I let the notion simmer... recently I revived my interest in just how to do this, reviewed the previous suggestions, re-scoured the internet and actually went to the shop with a plan in mind.

The star below is made out of junk cedar I had lying in a scrap pile, the intention being to see if I could actually build the requisite jig and then actually make one of these stars.

I'm "reasonably" satisfied with the result although this process dictates a single size (7" from lateral point to lateral point) star and I want to now generalize the jig/technique for different sizes.

The biggest problem I had/have is the extreme precision required for everything to fit "just right" ... I managed to work in 1/64ths but it's tough to make the 10 pieces EXACTLY the same, even with the jig at this point ... hopefully with time and practice my technique will improve.

I see these stars at craft fairs all over the place and so I KNOW it isn't rocket science (it was however using trig that I haven't even thought of in over 40 years ).

So my first (ok 2nd) effort is:
    Attached Files
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

I like it!

Comment

• Turaj
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
      • BT3000 (1998)

I cannot even think about trying to make something this precise!! You have done a really good job!
      Turaj (in Toronto)
      "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Lookin' good. Lookin' real good!
        Richard

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Thanks guys ... I appreciate the positive feedback! It really is amazing to me how many of these things I see around craft fairs and such ... in many different sizes. It's clear to me I haven't cracked the whole nut on technique but I've made a little progress and will keep wrestling this beast 'til I figure something that suits my needs.
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Are you going to share it with us?
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Great looking! In a way, it makes me think of segmented bowls where the joints are done to perfection! If you can do that (and you did) I'm expecting more! Beautifully done!

In reading your technique, (1/64th inch) It kinda reminded me of a pen I made once about 8 years ago. it was a pin stripe kinda like the New York Yankee pin strip uniform. I made it with such precision that nothing was out of alignment. After posting picts of it on the (IAP) pen forum and describing the technique and jigs, I got several requests over the next several weeks from a few people who tried to make one. I decided to make a second one and document it step by step as I went. I gave up on the 6th or 7th pen trial! (BTW, that pen made the IAP forum "pen of the month" front page display. I certainly was not expecting that.)

I realized that I just got lucky on the first try! The pen blank segments required precision of at least 1/128. Anything equal to or less than that became obvious with segment imperfections. I made a table top - table saw with a 6 1/2 saw attached under it, and the whole top was sliding. For the mounting plate, I used 3/16th in sheet aluminum. 1/4" cabinet/marine grade ply for the sliding top. Jigs attached to the 1/4 top and I could adjust the pen blank cuts with as little as .005 (1/200") with ease. I haven't used the saw or jig since being back home (from Japan) but I was looking at it a couple of weeks ago, just dreaming.

I would love to see your jig set up!
              Last edited by leehljp; 07-21-2015, 06:55 AM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                • Dec 2005
                • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Are you going to share it with us?
                I wish I could take full credit for how to make the jig ... the internet being tantamount to man's discovery of fire is a wonderful thing ... the video in this link => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7hckWV84pM is what I used as a guide. He does a very complete job of describing the math involved which really cleared up a lot of the mystery for me. Building the jig itself is very straightforward BUT as I previously stated the precision required is frustrating. Having to locate (in the case of the example) 9 15/64" as a measurement point and repeat that 10 times EXACTLY is tedious. My first try was "close" and looked really good until the final fit of the last two segments ... that's when I realized that "close" wasn't good enough.

I am sure there are other ways to do this but so far this has been my most successful ...
                Bade Millsap
                Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

In LIKE that. His jig reminds me very much of the mini table saw and sled that I made. Very accurate cuts! Thanks for posting this! If we have a Best of "How to" I would recommend this thread, that video link and your star!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ArtworksIII
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Spokane Wa
                    • Craftsman

Any time wood is repurposed to art or a useful object it is miraculous. Using your skills in geometry never hurts. Sort of like building stairs. Stars are art deco and have a place in soooo many applications Holidays. nice work.....

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I made a jig for the sliding miter table for my Craftsman BT to cut my table top parts. It was only made for cutting 4 pieces, like the star appears to be. I bet that the BT sliding miter table will give this guys jig a run for the money.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                        • Grizzly G1023SL

Well... The star is actually 10 individual pieces... Not sure how you see 4. The jig itself isn't really complex, just the requisite precision of the positioning of the jig parts and cutting the pieces.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by BadeMillsap; 07-22-2015, 07:31 PM.
                        Bade Millsap
                        Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

Yep, 4. Since each arm is 2 mirrored parts glued together that accounts for 2 stations on the jig. The length of the arm is up to the builder and does not have to be very long or can be feet long. That bevel cut is also 2 mirrored parts glued together, accounting for 2 more stations on the jig. The trick, like utube stated, is getting the angle in the jig perfect. Smaller stars would most definitely require some kind of holding device less you would wind up with nubs.
                          The type wood used plays an important part. You don't want something that burns, fuzzes up or splinters bad. The saw blade also needs to be clean and very sharp.
                          For once I believe that we have found a project that the router guys can't show off with! Although the bevel on the arm could be cut with any decorative moulding jig on a router table and would give the star a different personality.
                          capncarl

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                            • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by capncarl
                            Yep, 4. Since each arm is 2 mirrored parts glued together that accounts for 2 stations on the jig. The length of the arm is up to the builder and does not have to be very long or can be feet long. That bevel cut is also 2 mirrored parts glued together, accounting for 2 more stations on the jig. The trick, like utube stated, is getting the angle in the jig perfect. Smaller stars would most definitely require some kind of holding device less you would wind up with nubs.
                            The type wood used plays an important part. You don't want something that burns, fuzzes up or splinters bad. The saw blade also needs to be clean and very sharp.
                            For once I believe that we have found a project that the router guys can't show off with! Although the bevel on the arm could be cut with any decorative moulding jig on a router table and would give the star a different personality.
                            capncarl
                            Maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying ... it is true if you look at the YouTube that there are 4 positions (not counting the outside bevel) used on the jig to cut the 10 pieces. If that isn't what you meant I am missing your point but regardless ... it's a fun project and I'm hoping to get a more generalized jig built that allows a variety of star sizes.

If you have some pictures of examples of how you would approach this with the sliding miter on the BT I'd be interested to see your work.
                            Bade Millsap
                            Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

My point exactly, it's a 4 station jig. You might could do it with only 2 if you could cut the outside bevel last. That might eleminate some of the error. The major problem I see with most any small parts jig is safety, ie, holding the parts. Parts testing is an issue making this 10 piece star because you have to make all 10 before you can see if they fit. I fully agree, a fun project.

Comment

Working...