• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
    There's a good writeup on another version I found with a websearch a few weeks ago.

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/gizmodyne/blog/3099
    Similar idea although not sure I would want to only sandwich 2 sheets of ply. The design of mine has 2 x 1/2" thick HW frames (sort of torsion box) snugged up against the 1/2" steel rod and then sandwiched by two 3/4" thick panels. The edges have 3/4 maple which the rod also fits through before being epoxied into the 1" thick maple side supports.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• Luckbox
      Established Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Holly Springs, NC

Very nice, I built one of these last year using the same diagram. I made an error in that I measured the height of the planer and made sure it was going to be tall enough for it, which it is, but I did not account for the diagonal distance when you are flipping the top, so I now have a nice stand that cannot flip. But it is easier to user the planer, so at least it is still usable.
      I love lamp.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Luckbox
        Very nice, I built one of these last year using the same diagram. I made an error in that I measured the height of the planer and made sure it was going to be tall enough for it, which it is, but I did not account for the diagonal distance when you are flipping the top, so I now have a nice stand that cannot flip. But it is easier to user the planer, so at least it is still usable.
        Couldnt you just remove the bottom add a couple of inches to the sides and reattach?
        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

I finished the next stage of this re-org project today. I built a stand to fit into an alcove so it is at the same height as the mobile stand. My DP sits on a simple base and can be used in the alcove for small items and slides onto the mobile base when I need to use it with bigger pieces.

Next job is a DP table. Be finished soon and can get back to actually building something
          Attached Files
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• StickSeler
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2003
            • Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

Thats a slick Idea
            Of course Lumber is expensive,what do you think, it grows on trees

http://www.rjkniatt.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice and should serve you well to keep some space open. Very clean looking shop, BTW.

Enjoy...

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                Very nice and should serve you well to keep some space open. Very clean looking shop, BTW.

Enjoy...
                Thanks Sarge, as my shop has to do double duty as a garage and our 2 cars live in it when I am not working in there I clean it up after every use. Its also why I am getting creative on space usage. I have plenty when I am working but i can only use the perimeter to actually store the tools so hence a mobile base strategy.
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Bob Bassett
                  Established Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by Luckbox
                  I have an older model Delta Planer and I took the handles and return rollers off the top.
                  Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida

Comment

Working...