Any experience with Tutoring as a side thing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Any experience with Tutoring as a side thing?

I have been helping my daughter with her high school subjects. Actually, AP Calculus and AP Physics (which are really college subjects), which I find interesting, even gripping (yeah, I know, there's something wrong with me, but I'll look for a cure later ) .

A friend's wife heard about it and earnestly pleaded that I tutor her son, also in high school, for payment. Except that he needs help with regular high school subjects, specifically Math. I know the kid, and he's a nice, polite guy, just more interested in basketball. She added that she already has a couple of other parents who'd also be interested in getting tutoring for their kids.

Before this, I have only taught informally at some sunday school, but believe I have the patience and passion to follow a curriculum fully and impart value to kids, particularly in Math. I'd like to do this for helping out kids who need it, but the idea of making some petty cash on the side is tempting too.

Tentatively, I was pondering charging around $25/hour per kid in a group setting, not more than 10 kids, maybe less. Not sure how that compares with the market, other than some advertised websites that charge much more ($50/$60), or Craigslist, where I even see $10/hour.

So, has anybody prior experience with this sort of a thing, either as a tutor, or as a customer? What sort of pitfalls should I worry about?

I don't have any teaching certification - is that an issue?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

I can't speak for FL, but in MO that's about the right per-hour rate, and as a private tutor, you don't need certification.

You might want to read up on different learning styles, etc. Not every kid learns the same way or at the same rate.

Patience and personal relationships are the key. Not THAT personal, asking the kids about their interests and trying to relate the math to that will help them a bunch.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

I looked into private tutoring a couple of years ago, but ran into a financial snag: liability insurance. Something that had never occurred to me, but is a sad, chilling reflection of today's reality: the risks of being in a situation as an adult with an underage student. Tutoring out of my home would be cost prohibitive for coverage.

I don't know the going rates in your area, but $25/student in a group of ten sounds pretty steep; if I were a parent, for that money I'd want some evidence of getting my money's worth- your credentials, prior track record, guarantee of success (pass AP exam, improve grade), etc. Teaching is hard- it takes more than interest, passion and patience.

I don't want to dissuade you by any means- just consider possible pitfalls. Good luck- keep us all posted about your progress.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jdon
        I looked into private tutoring a couple of years ago, but ran into a financial snag: liability insurance. Something that had never occurred to me, but is a sad, chilling reflection of today's reality: the risks of being in a situation as an adult with an underage student. Tutoring out of my home would be cost prohibitive for coverage.
        What would liability insurance cover... injury to a student while in your home or failure to get an A or a B grade in H.S. or failure to get in to college or or heaven forbid, failure to get in to Harvard or Yale or Princeton or Cornell or the school of their dreams?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Years ago, I taught Basic Computer Skills, WordPerfect, and Paradox database classes; most in industrial classrooms (I started PC training at our plant). I also did some one-on-one tutoring on the side. I didn't charge anything for the latter though, as it was just friends and a few of their children.

Later I was one of my employer's Total Quality Management instructors and that required 'Train-the-Trainer' classes with the local community college.

Biggest problem is when you run into students who simply don't want to be there, as was often the case with TQM attendance by employees. That was quite challenging. In tutoring, that was rarely a problem as, in my case, those people were enthusiastic about getting into the subject... it was more of a hobby for both of us. (A reason for which I simply couldn't and wouldn't think of charging anyone.)

But your case is different, as you will have students who are challenged in the subject. My concern would be that if they are challenged in their normal school classrooms, wouldn't they seemingly be challenged in yours? OR, would they meeting with you to get ahead of the subject? If that is the case, then you will hopefully share a better experience.

The rate of pay, that is something I don't know about. It seems a bit high, but then I don't know how deep the pockets of your client/parents might be. I'm thinking that simply charging for the course, a number of group classes, might be better. But you of course would be knowing of that than I can be.

For awhile I was an adviser to a team who wanted to teach a preparation class for FCC licensing for Amateur Radio. They started off doing it for free, but had so many dropouts it proved a failure. Charging for the course resulted in better success, as once people invest, they usually will stick to it.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Both my wife (English) and son (Math) are teachers and both also tutor. They also combine to run an SAT prep class. IIRC they charge $65 & $50 respectively and they go to the students homes. They do have a plan discount that is something like book 10 sessions and pay for 9.

They are both full time teachers versed in the current curriculum and have the knowledge and experience to help the kids develop what they need to meet the requirements of their current school. Based on their experience and in our local market they dont have any issues with their pricing. Given the typical teachers burden of managing daily grading, prep, parent communications etc. they would often have more requests for tutoring than they had time to give.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I tutor college stats - all the way up to the doctoral level. I charge a dirt-cheap rate of $75/hour. I offer dissertation coaching for a fixed fee of $1000. Have never had a hard time finding work. Virtually all my coaching is referral-based ---- with 100% successful defense of dissertation.

Once even had a student fly me in to tutor him.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow - lots of replies, and as I expected, well thought out too, even if pointing out pitfalls. That said, I really welcome the pitfalls because that sort of allows me to anticipate them.

A number of good points raised, lemme address them together.

Khan Academy - actually, I brought that up in the first minute of my talk with that mom. I believe KA does a great job tutoring those who have questions, or are self motivated. But she immediately shot it down - it does not work with kids on their own, because they quickly get onto other activities on the same machine! And even if not, they can't clarify doubts there as they can with a live person in the room, they don't get individual attention, etc.

While I'm thinking the location would be my home (or one of the student's), I am told local libraries have small rooms available for such usage, for free, just for advance booking. Might work out for me. The timing would be a convenient time on the weekend, one day or both. I prefer mornings, but youngster might find that a burden.

Insurance is an angle I never thought of; the classes should be with people around (my family, their family, or the library), not in a closed room in private, so hopefully in a really safe place for everybody. I'm going to 'table' that idea of insurance for now.

Yes, there's a definite possibility that I don't make much more headway than their class teacher does, but my experience of public school teachers is that a big majority are not in the right job - they don't get it, they are over their head, they don't like it, but are forced to be there.

And even the minority that love teaching, are many times overwhelmed by extraneous stuff (class size, testing, planning, etc) that they are unable to really teach they way they want to, or it should be. I feel a smaller, personal setting negates all that hugely.

And of course, I love teaching. I would even do this for free, but after years of volunteering have come to realize that a payment makes students attentive and parents engaged (as CWS has remarked) .

I don't want to make it prohibitively costly (not that I have the street cred to command that, as yet), but do want them to feel they must get something out of the class because they are paying for it. As others have posted, it's not unusual to have rates of $50+ for experienced, certified tutors. Heck, I would not hesitate to send my kids over if I see that value received. $65 for SAT prep, or 75/ hour for college courses or $1000 to learn to defend a thesis seems pretty decent rates.

Thanks for all your responses - a help beyond measure!

And yes, the style of teaching different kids is a good point too. My real challenge is going to be to learn to teach boys. I've only taught my girls, or a collection of small girls. I'm under no illusion that it's gonna be the same with boys. I only hope my the patience everybody says I have, does not desert me!
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Your library should be a great place to look for a classroom. Many libraries may ask for a small fee it they know you are doing this as a business, but some will not.

We conducted monthly FCC test sessions at our local Public library and though we had to charge a fee for the exam, we explained the nature of the process and there was no fee for the room. I noticed that there were often educational classes there, including one lady who tutored Chinese language, usually with just one or two students. The library staff was very cordial to all and they had great facilities with several rooms and spaces for such activity.

As we all know, so much of learning has to do with the teacher's attitude and enthusiasm for the subject. As a student I've had more bad experiences with lousy teachers than good ones. But when you have a good teacher I've always felt so much appreciation and long remember them.... I can still name off the handful of high school teachers that got their subject across to me, thankfully.

When I was one of the TQM instructors at my plant, I almost exclusively taught the third shift, as only one other instructor would. They were all bargaining unit (Union) workers, with 20 to 30 adults in a class, adults that generally didn't want to be there, but were ordered to. I was a volunteer and those two-plus hours a couple of nights per week were in addition to my day responsibilities. I found that teaching the prescribed doctrine was painful. So I changed it to make it fun or entertaining, and that made it easier for everyone. The workers walked away with the main points, and talked it up in the shops. Those first few classes paved the way for the rest and we were all more comfortable. TQ involvement on that shift markedly improved... and that, after all, was the objective. The point is that your student audience may change from time to time, and it's important to adapt somewhat, in order to get across to that student.

I'm by no means a professional teacher, as I have no degree; but I've had experience with everyone from young boys (cub scouts) to angry adult union members. I'm not sure who is more challenging, the little guys with extremely short attention spans or the workers who immediately feel you're the enemy. But I sincerely believe that if you go at it with an understanding of your students and enthusiasm for the subject at hand you'll generally be alright. You simply adapt to the audience, getting the subject across to them is the objective. I've been told that I'm very good at that, but I also look back and see things that I think could have been done better.

Teaching is a great responsibility and having the opportunity can be real gift for both teacher and student. It sounds like you have that gift, and I wish you great success.

CWS
                  Last edited by cwsmith; 01-28-2015, 12:04 PM.
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

My wife and son have both done brief tutoring stints. The going rate for them is ~ $25 per session, with a session ranging between 45 and 60 minutes. $25 is likely on the low end in this day and age. If you enjoy it, have the time, and could use the money, go for it.....the very nature of tutoring tends to make each opportunity fairly short lived if you've done a good job!
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• knotley
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Canada.

Graduates from Ivy League universities and other top colleges are finding jobs in Manhattan's lucrative test-prep economy.

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks guys! That's a timely link, knotly!

I definitely have the zeal to try and make it worth the while of both myself and the students; I'd find it a waste of my time and theirs if each hour was not productive. Some teachers in public schools seem to not care at all, which is a pity.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

My mom used to tutor elementary kids for reading and math quite a bit out of our home. She was a teacher and did this as a summer job. This was back in the late 80's through most of the 90s, so times were a little bit different but it worked out fine. She usually did it one-on-one and was often paid by the state/school district as these kids qualified for extra help.

As for liability, I'd make sure someone else is around, that's usually the best way to cover yourself from any frivolous accusations. Doing it from a library might make everyone feel safer.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Abyss, PA
                            • Ridgid R4512

Teachers in this area who have to home school students due to various physical needs are paid a per diem rate of $25-35.

Comment

• tfischer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                              Teachers in this area who have to home school students due to various physical needs are paid a per diem rate of $25-35.
                              That's about $3 an hour.

Comment

Working...