• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Half Foot of Snow! What to Do?

We woke up this AM to a little more than 1/2 Foot of Snow. We're not used to snowfalls like this around here. Can some of you Northern guys tell me what we're supposed to do with this stuff?

Edit: Upload of jpg file Failed - Got "Notify Admin" msg
    Last edited by phrog; 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM.
    Richard
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

Guessing that being in Chattanooga, it will probably warm up fairly quickly and melt before you know it.

I was in Nashville several years ago when they got smashed by 6" in early March. The roads had melted off by noon, and the snow was gone by noon the next day.

Unless your ground was frozen, it won't be much trouble.

In the meantime, enjoy yourself, Be a kid again. Go build a snowman. Have a snowball fight. Find something you can go sledding on and a hill to do it. How many opportunities do you get to do something like that? And heck if you have kids, LIVE IT UP!!!!

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011
      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

here's one possible thing - should be appealing to a wood worker.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Almost two weeks ago when the first of the back to back "southern" snow/ice came in, I was in Dallas for my youngest grandson's first birthday. We came back to N. MS on Monday behind the ice/snow storm. LOML and I hit ice halfway between Texarkana and Little Rock. It took 3 hours for 10 miles. There was heavy ice buildup and road plows were plowing away. From 30 miles out of LR, we went along at about 30 MPH, the same around LR and East of LR towards Memphis. 2 to 3 inchs of ice on the roads.

10 miles east of LR, the roads cleared for about 6 to 7 miles. I never got over 40, but trucks were whizzing by me. It was about 8 at night. I knew to watch for black ice. We hit it suddenly and coasted down to 30. Up ahead about 1/4 mile, I saw two 18 wheelers fishtailing and brake lights flashing. There was an 18 wheeler coming up along beside me and more concerned about passing me without hitting me and sliding sideways than what was happening up ahead. He cleared me and then noticed about 200 yards ahead the stopped trucks. He hit his brakes and jackknifed in front of us. Fortunately for him, his trailer slid plum sideways and hit the snowbank on the right side and it all but stopped him and jerked him fairly straight. he stopped literally 10 ft from the two trucks that had stopped in the middle of the road. There was another jacknifed truck across the interstate with front end damage from hitting a guard rail.

We waited on this wreck for 2 hours before it got cleared. We were the 4th vehicle behind the wreck.

My adult girls were on the phone with us urging me to stay on the interstate to Memphis. I wanted and did get off and went the back roads the rest of the way home. I said I would rather call a wrecker to come get me out of a ditch on the back roads than to get creamed between two 18 wheelers.

But the snow, sure is pretty.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Neal
          Guessing that being in Chattanooga, it will probably warm up fairly quickly and melt before you know it.

I was in Nashville several years ago when they got smashed by 6" in early March. The roads had melted off by noon, and the snow was gone by noon the next day.
          You're right. It's about 1PM now and much of it is already gone. Probably won't be here tomorrow.
          Richard

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by durango dude
            here's one possible thing - should be appealing to a wood worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbR81NEyv8w
            Were I so talented, I might try.
            Richard

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by leehljp

But the snow, sure is pretty.

Hank, it sounds like you'all were lucky. Glad things went well for you. I once got caught in a snow-event just west of Nashville, while returning to Memphis after Christmas break with my folks in Chattanooga. An elderly couple who owned a motel/restaurant on I-40 took me home with them since their motel was full and the temps were expected to be in the low teens. That was in the 70s and I will never forget their kindness.

And yes, the snow is pretty but the black ice ain't.
              Richard

Comment

• Carpenter96
                Established Member
                • Aug 2011
                • Barrie ON Canada
                • BT 3000

From a northerner (40 minutes north of Toronto) I would say have fun, 6 inches is nothing. I know I was in Louisville Kentucky in freezing rain and in was so much fun sliding down the off ramp by Churchill Downs and only the good lord to eventually stop me.

Regards Bob

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

Chatanooga is not far enough. Keep coming South.
                  Lee

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

- Shovel the sidewalks
                    - Go sledding
                    - Build a snowman
                    - Make snow angels
                    - Throw snow balls at cars
                    - Throw snow balls at each other
                    - Drive slow
                    - Wait until tomorrow....it'll melt!

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Snow ice cream

LOML made some snow ice cream as soon as it got to about 3 inches yesterday! Love it!
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

We've been dodging snow so far. But when it snows at all here (SC) people go absolutely crazy. I've lived here in SC since 1999 and there has never been enough snow to cover the roads. But that doesn't stop people from sliding off the road into the ditch. I honestly know how they do it. I just use summer tires on my convertible. I drove it to work and back today. It's been rainy this week but nothing frozen.

When it does snow a little here I take pictures. The snow looks nice and it doesn't hang around long. I still have a snow shovel so if we need to get out of the driveway I can clean it and we can drive.

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Make snow cones California could sure use some of the white stuff.

Tom

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by phrog
                            Can some of you Northern guys tell me what we're supposed to do with this stuff?
                            Use a snow shovel and through it really, really, high and hard to get it to the top of the 10' piles of snow you already have from clearing your drive the last 25 times.

Or push it into the street like apparently everyone else does, wait for the snowplow to push it back in your drive, then push it out again.

Hopefully the temperatures will warm and the snow will melt by August
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Carpenter96
                              From a northerner (40 minutes north of Toronto) I would say have fun, 6 inches is nothing. I know I was in Louisville Kentucky in freezing rain and in was so much fun sliding down the off ramp by Churchill Downs and only the good lord to eventually stop me.

Regards Bob
                              I just love sliding in the snow.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...