Low-cost gift ideas for the woodworker (me!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Low-cost gift ideas for the woodworker (me!)

Hi all... it's that time of year again, where family and friends are going to ask me for gift ideas. Any thoughts on some lower cost ideas for my list?

One thing I was considering is a drill press laser guide.
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

1. Marking Gauge This is a great little tool that I use a lot when wood working. It is from Incra. (Available from Woodcraft for $24.99 - there is a smaller version for $17.99)

2. Saddle Here is another tool that I just recently acquired and I am using a lot. It is from Veritas. (Available from Woodcraft for $18.99)
    Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

3. Multitool I've had one of these for several years and use it, not so much for woodworking as for household projects - and I use it a lot. I use it so much that I bought a second for backup in case the first goes bad. (Available from HF for $15 -$20 depending on what day it is and the phase of the moon. It is from HF but mine is still working well.)
    Last edited by phrog; 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM.
    Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

best thing marking gauge! This can be way better than a combo square for marking layouts.
      Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

irwin quick grip mini 6's 4 for $18 here good price; never have enough, I love these one-handed minis.

Wixey angle gauge

saddle square, a real time saver

Harbor freight 6" digital calipers metal version (not plastic) either in/mm/fractions or in/mm versions are good for under $20 use 20% off coupon, too

lee valley free shipping thru nov 13 $40 and over
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The drill press laser guide could be a good choice. My Porter-Cable DP has one, and while it wasn't a shopping point, I've found it to be both accurate and useful. (I was actually a bit skeptical, despite having found the twin laser guide on my CMS to be a terrific feature.) I have no experience with the add-on units but since they can presumably be adjusted, I would expect them to work equally well.

+2 on the saddle square. I have the small one; I use it as much as any marking and measuring tool I own other than my 6" square.
        Larry

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

You're lucky you can put these types of things on your list. When I've done that in the past, I usually was told that I was hard to buy for. (Because family doesn't know where to buy stuff like this even when told where)

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Originally posted by jking
            You're lucky you can put these types of things on your list. When I've done that in the past, I usually was told that I was hard to buy for. (Because family doesn't know where to buy stuff like this even when told where)
            LOL yeah that is an issue... But usually if I can point them to a website or Rockler, than it's cool. My wife helps some of the more computer-illiterate (older generation) of the family lol.

And yes, I'm sure I'm "hard to buy for", if that means that most of the stuff on my list can't be obtained at Target or JC Penny's lol

Comment

• jdon
              Established Member
              • Feb 2010
              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
              • BT3100

Can't testify (yet) to it's worthwhileness, 'cause it's on my list:

Zircon metal detector: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKJ1MM/...I1VDPZL18BBDJ3

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                best thing marking gauge! This can be way better than a combo square for marking layouts.

The absolutely my most used (non-battery/electric) tool, and most missed when I can't find one.

I have two of those. Got my first one when it was about $10/$12 - back in the '90s. My second one cost about $20.00 so I could have one on both sides of the Pacific!

Man, they are getting pricey.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• trungdok
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • MA

For me it would be a decent apron/vest. It allows you to keep your basic tools at hand at all time instead of wasting time searching for them.

Something like this is not too expensive.

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Comment

• durango dude
                    • Mar 2011
                    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I face this topic every year -----

I provided a list of low-priced (below $50) items last year, and my family appreciated it.

a) Lie Nielsen Scraper Set (the leather wallet would be icing on the cake)
                    b) Rockler Bench Cookie Set
                    c) Odd Job Tool (Garret Wade)
                    d) Wooden Hand Screw Clamps (can never have too many clamps)
                    e) 3/8" dowel jig (Rockler)
                    f) Snappy 5 piece essential set (Woodcraft)
                    g) High Point Screw Sampler (Woodcraft)
                    i) Veritas Stainless Marking Gauge (Lee Valley)

Thread from last year:

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
                    Last edited by durango dude; 11-11-2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

The wood hand screw clamps I find to be very useful. I had a friend of mine that chuckled when I mentioned having a couple of those. He asked me how often I used them, implying they were seldom used. I find that I use them in maybe half of my projects.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

It all depends on how you are outfitted, and the budget they are asking about. for me, the wish list is...
                        1. Leather Shop Apron with backpack type straps (not hung off the neck).
                        2. Individual turning tools. Bowl scrapers would be nice.
                        3. Safety Items. Second set of earmuffs for a guest worker would be nice.
                        4. Glue spreaders
                        5. Card scrapers
                        6. Hand Screw Clamps
                        7. Veritas iron & blade set to upgrade my Groz planes.
                        8. Marking Guage
                        9. Self centering drill bits
                        10. Various jigs, and guides.
                        11. Star knobs and star bolts in 1/4 and 5/16
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

Some great ideas, keep 'em coming. Some I have already, but many I do not and look like great things to have.

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back
                            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Another gem from the Lee Valley catalog is the Veritas Cabinetmaker's Mallet. At $39.50 it might stretch your definition of "low cost" but it's a joy to hold and use if you do much hand work.
                            Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

If it's is verbal be sure to enunciate properly. I ask for clamps and I seem to always get pants.

Another vote for the Veritas saddle squares, love 'em.
                              Erik

Comment

Working...