• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Sears closeout on 21829 $199.97

Sears is apparently clearancing the 21829 from some stores for $199. Still full price at one of my local stores, on clearance at another. Note that they show zero stock online - so you may have to go to the store rather than ordering online.
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

This may mark the end of an era. For these saws at least. They did have a good run though if that is the case.
    Last edited by Stytooner; 11-19-2013, 02:38 PM. Reason: spelin boo boo
    Lee

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

Great price! I found one about this price at a local Sears Outlet. I went from owning one of the first BT3000's to a Craftsman cast top hybrid to a new Unisaw. After a large kitchen cabinet job found I used my track saw system for at least 90% of the cuts and sold the Uni and picked up the 21829. It's no Uni but it's ideal for my needs - folds up for storage and has a place to store everything on-board.

Mike

Comment

• tohellwithuga
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • GA

I have one on hold, but it is the floor model (purchased the last one online last night for in-store pickup at full web price of $540). The guy in tools confirmed that the in-store clearance price was $199.97, but I'm not sure if it's worth the 40 mile round trip, possibility of missing/damaged parts, and then still having to argue about the price. Opinions?

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Well, all of the stores in my area are out of stock, so this is toast for my area. I even checked St Louis, since I'm traveling there weekly, and the only thing is some IL stores that have it for $509.00.

Bummer.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Sears may still be useful once they sell out the existing stock since they are pretty good about carrying parts.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Seems likely that this will be the end of the era. Hopefully JimD is right about parts support.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

In stock and on sale for $510 in our area.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tohellwithuga
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • GA

Well, I was finally able to pick mine up this morning. It's not in the best shape, with multiple scratches, loose parts, etc. It is missing the miter gauge assembly and some of the router accessories. The back rail is loose, and the end caps are messed up. I had to convince them that the miter fence that was sitting on another saw actually went with this one, but they eventually agreed (no manual, so my only proof was a screenshot that I took from the website - I should have printed the manual out before I went, but I didn't).

They did knock off $20, lol. I took it anyway, but it will need some work before it can be used. Still a good deal for $180, just a little disappointed in the condition and missing parts (plus, the guys at Sears made me feel like I was trying to scam them the whole time, sigh...)

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Do you realize how much time they must have spent putting that thing together? At least 5 minutes and then probably incorrectly from the start. Oh, you mean they come with a manual?
                    Good job though. It does have new bones.
                    Lee

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tohellwithuga
                      They did knock off $20, lol. I took it anyway, but it will need some work before it can be used. Still a good deal for $180, just a little disappointed in the condition and missing parts (plus, the guys at Sears made me feel like I was trying to scam them the whole time, sigh...)
                      The one I got was also the display model and missing parts - miter fence clamp, router mounting kit, and accessory table - but all they would do is take off 15%. I used my Sears card for another 10% in points, and bought some other stuff to get the total over $199, so at least I will get the $120 in points for the tool of the month club. I figured the motor along was worth the $50 net cost, and I do have another one to "share" parts with.

Most of the parts are available from Sears parts. Some are priced pretty high, but the miter fence kit is $16 or so.

Hopefully the odd and ends peole sometimes post on here will allow both of us to get our saws fully functional.

Comment

• tohellwithuga
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • GA

Thanks for the heads-up on the tool of the month club, woodturner, I had forgotten about that. I guess that extra $20 that they knocked off will prevent me from getting that, sigh... Might try to do a return/rebuy next time I'm in the area. I don't guess the little appliance showrooms can do that type of thing, can they (5 minutes away instead of 30)?

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tohellwithuga
                          Thanks for the heads-up on the tool of the month club, woodturner, I had forgotten about that. I guess that extra $20 that they knocked off will prevent me from getting that, sigh... Might try to do a return/rebuy next time I'm in the area. I don't guess the little appliance showrooms can do that type of thing, can they (5 minutes away instead of 30)?
                          It will prevent you from getting it, it has to be $199 on one receipt net spending (i.e. not including tax and less SYW reward points), but it can be multiple items to get that total. I called Craftsman and confirmed, but they didn't seem all that sure of the terms and I could not find a real terms and conditions page on the web.

A return/rebuy is probably the best bet, and any company-owned Sears store should be able to do it, if they are willing. If the appliance store is a company-owned store, they should be able to do it, but might be reluctant.

You could try to do it over the phone and have them ship the additional product (generally there is free shipping if you order from the kiosks in store, so I assume they can do free shipping, too), but I'm not sure how well that would work.

At my store, I needed to talk to the manager to get the discount, and he would not return calls or come to the department. We finally worked it out through the clerk acting as intermediary. My experience with that store in this area is they aren't very user friendly - but another store not too far away is completely different.

Unfortunately, it really just depends on the "attitude" of the store and maybe the specific person you talk with. Let us know what works out for you - I need to deal with a similar issue at a different store on a different product, your experience might prove insightful.

Comment

• Dosperado
                            Handtools only
                            • Nov 2013

Hey all, first post, great site!

I also picked up one of the display models, not much missing that I can tell except the usual it seems...

1) The sliding miter table attachment knob and anything that was part of it. Essentially I have the sliding table assembly, and the aluminum push rail, but no way to mount the two together.
                            2) The router accessories, aside from the table itself, are also missing.
                            (and the key, but a u shaped piece of heavy duty zip tie trimmed at both ends works perfect)

I see a link to a site that sells various parts, t-nuts.com? But nothing jumps out at me as my solution for the sliding miter table knob and related parts. Do I even need that or can I fabricate something that might work to lock the aluminum bar in place at the desired angle? Or do they have a replacement part?

It seems there are going to be a slew of new owners all missing similar parts.

Looking forward to reading up on tips here, thanks!

-Tom

Comment

• Ed62
                              The Full Monte
                              • Oct 2006
                              • NW Indiana
                              • BT3K

Welcome aboard, Tom. I'm pretty sure a toilet bolt and a threaded knob will work to attach the miter bar to the sliding table. You might have to file the head of the toilet bolt down a little. I'm pretty sure the toilet bolt will be 1/4 - 20, but you might want to verify that.

Ed
                              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...