• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I was at 185.6 Wednesday night when I weighed in. Shorts t-shirt and no shoes.
    Chr's

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Sounds like a good idea....I thought I was pushing things when I weighed 227, but now I'm 243 with no end in sight.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Googledocs Spreadsheet

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Woodturner, could you set up a shared spreadsheet on Google docs?
        I set up the Google doc and entered the people and numbers from this thread - but please check and confirm I entered the information you want.

To avoid having to login to enter your weights, I set up the doc so that anyone who has the link can edit the page. We probably don't want to post that link publicly, so I will pm it to people who post in this thread.

It does take a second or two to update so if you enter your weight and then get the "stay on this page" popup, just stay on the page for another second or two and then close it. The update is automatic, there is no "save" button.

Once the initial weigh-ins are entered, I can protect that column so it can't be changed.

Let me know if you have suggestions for improvements to the spreadsheet.

Edit: I'll correct the formulas when enough weigh-ins are entered to do the calculations - didn't want anyone to be confused by "divide by zero" warnings on the percentages.
        Last edited by woodturner; 01-24-2014, 08:22 AM.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by woodturner
          I set up the Google doc and entered the people and numbers from this thread - but please check and confirm I entered the information you want.

Let me know if you have suggestions for improvements to the spreadsheet.
          Thanks Woodturner! Spreadsheet works for me.

Not sure that I started on a good foot, though. My coworker brought in some delicious coconut macaroons.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

My snack night is Friday night, so I'll probably weigh then to help keep me on track.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I am doing good so far from yesterday. I had a day from to be polite the deep, deep,deep south at work yesterday, so no lunch break, and only a banana for breakfast. I splurged a bit on dinner (Ribs and broccoli, with a ginger ale at home) but I was well under my points target. Got plenty of very physical excersize by spending a couple of hours in the shop last night, and outside wrapping my pipes back up prior to the freeze / ice storm that hit Houston overnight...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Gray Guy
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2007
                • NJ

Good idea, can use the incentive - I'm in. Start weight at 0930 on Friday, 1/24 is 227.4 in shorts.

John

Comment

• lebomike
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Pennsylvania
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Good idea, I'm in. Today at 6:00am, 227.4.
                  Send me link for google doc.
                  Thanks
                  "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

• trungdok
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • MA

Love this. It just seems so random, yet so homely. I'm in. I'll do the weight-in later today.

I think those doing this should consider take 2 before pictures of yourself (front and side), and then again along the way. Comparing your current progress with the before pictures should make your progress more obvious and encouraging. Sometimes having that visual progress is more powerful than the numbers on the paper.

Good luck to everyone!!

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I'll join in!

We just got a new scale and it says I'm 188 lbs. When I retired in 2003, I was 203, and about four months ago I was at 190, so I stopped eating potatoe chips, and I cut out the small bowl of ice cream almost every other day. I would have thought that in those four months I'd have lost a lot more than 2 lbs.

So, presently at 188, I need some challenge I guess. I'd be really happy if I could get to 170. (When I got married in 1967, I weighed only 117.)

Are we posting Saturdays?

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• lrr
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Fort Collins, Colorado
                        • Ryobi BT-3100

I may jump in, although I am down almost 50 lbs. from my highest in 2007.

One suggestion:

Weigh in first thing in the morning, when completely naked, so there is no excuses like "These are my really heavy denim jeans, so I know I weigh less than the scales show ..."

Weighing anytime after you rise in the morning introduces unknowns, based on how much food and drink you've taken in. I shower in the morning, so my routine is to weigh in just before stepping into the shower. If you bath in the evening, then just weigh yourself in the morning after you strip down to put on fresh clothes.

If you do not bath or change clothes daily, then I have no suggestions for you, but wil offer up a "thank you" for helping to save the planet by using less water to bath and wash your clothes...
                        Last edited by lrr; 01-24-2014, 12:57 PM.
                        Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by trungdok
                          I think those doing this should consider take 2 before pictures of yourself (front and side), and then again along the way. Comparing your current progress with the before pictures should make your progress more obvious and encouraging. Sometimes having that visual progress is more powerful than the numbers on the paper.

Good luck to everyone!!
                          I didn't do this when I joined WW last year, but I am now. It's hard to see the day to day changes, but befores and afters are real motivators. When I reached about 15lbs lost, my Mom commented, "Oh, good job. I can see your neck again." Well, I was looking in the rear view mirror this morning, and I noticed I couldn't anymore so I definitely need the motivation. It's also no fun when your 3 year old rips on you by saying, "Daddy has boobies."

We stopped WWs in the Fall (too expensive) and I think I've gained back half the weight I lost. I think my wife has maintained.

Originally posted by cwsmith
                          I'll join in!

Are we posting Saturdays?

CWS
                          I think we agreed it's what fits into your schedule. The date headers on the spreadsheet has the week starting as last Sunday so just enter your first week underneath everyone else's when Woodturner sends you the link.

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I gave blood today..... -1 lb!
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I was planning on getting back on the diet + exercise bandwagon anyways, and now I'm single again. So I'm in.

You are all lightweights. I usually weigh myself every day in the morning, but jumped on the scale just now.... 391.

So I'm thinking I'm a scant 120 lbs away from a good weight for me (I am naturally a big guy).

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 2007
                                • Buena Park, CA
                                • CM 21829

Great idea, and timely - I'm in. Back 'round '98, I was around 240, and managed to drop down to 165 in about a six month period. Kept most off, worked out to build some strength, until I hit a fairly lean 185 in 2002. Then I had a job change, more time at the desk and less activity, and like some of you, I've added a little weight each year since, about 8 pounds a year, now ~230. I'll get precise current weight tonight and post. Thanks in advance for the motivation

Edit:
                                Starting weight recorded in spreadsheet. 229.5.
                                Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 01-25-2014, 01:15 AM. Reason: Starting weight added.
                                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...