X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howie
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2005

h.d. saw displays

i gotta echo what most of you are saying about the way they market these things. the one i saw- rails falling off, every moving piece tangled, no surface lined up. the guy talked me out of looking at it said it was cheap and gimmicky. i would have never bought one if i hadn't bumped into this site. you should get a kickback.
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

Was this a HD employee that said it was "cheap and gimmicky?" If so, chalk up another slam on HD employees that don't know what they are talking about (goes without saying but I will anyway: HD employees who are also forum members are not included. HD should pay you guys more!)

Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Hey mike,

I resemble that remark.

Bruce
      Certified Kitchen Designer
      Home Depot
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

quote:Originally posted by howie

... you should get a kickback.
        [:0] Rule #7 ...can't say "kickback" in a table saw discussion!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Mike P. Wagner
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2005
          • Raleigh, NC, USA.

Every time I walk by the tool section of my local HD, I set the miter fence back in the SMT the way it's supposed to fit. Am I the only one who does that?

Mike P. Wagner

Comment

• dkhoward
            • Dec 2003
            • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
            • bt3000

Nah, I rebuild the display everytime Im in the local HD. put the SMT back on right, fix both fences/ Once I even put the blade guard back on. It was laying on a rigid saw half an aisle away.
            Dennis K Howard
            www.geocities.com/dennishoward
            "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

One of the last few times I was in HD a guy was checking out the TS's. I started to chat and asked if he'd seen the BT. He said yes, but that it didn't look like anything worked. It had been assembled incorrectly of course. I reworked it and showed him everything. He was very interested when I left. I hope he bought one.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• djmcheme
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2005

We got a Home Depot built close to us a year or so ago and since I have started going in there I have noticed a few things. The people who work there are pretty generic in their knowledge. Unless your question is "where can I find item xyz" then you might as well not bother asking questions. It is a nice store if you know what you want and how you are going to accomplish your project already. There is, luckily, one gentleman who works in the plumbing section who seems to be a skilled plumber but is in a wheelchair. He has answered any plumbing question I have put forth. He has even told me to go to a plumbing supply store close by on several occasions to get what I needed. He is worth his weight in gold to have around but I bet he makes nothing close to what he is worth.

Comment

• don_hart
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Djmcheme Sounds like the store in lisbon CT that I go all the time. The guy who works in plumbing is in a motorized wheelchair and is one of the only people in the store that seems to have his act together and knows something about hardware.

Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• alamode
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2004
                    • WA.

I had the opposite experience. Last year went to look at a specific Makita TS that was being advertised online at the H.D. The tool sales guy said they didnt have the specific one on hand, and that I really should take a look at the BT instead.

Since the BT looks like a childs toy, with all the bright colors, I was dubious, but still looked it over. They guy showed the saw, demonstrated the SMT, and talked about of the main features. He said that for the money, there wasnt a better saw anywere. It was all set up correctly too.

Still dubious, I went home and started doing some research, stumbled across this forum, and the rest is history.

You guys should get a kickba. ahem... "finders fee"!

Comment

• djmcheme
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2005

Don, I live in Pittsburgh area. Just north in a town called Butler. I asked the plumber at HD why he isnt working as a pro. He said that he worked for 23 years in a pipefitters union and got hurt. He would rather do something than sit around and collect unemployment so he puts in 50 hours a week there. I told him how nice it is to have a pro to go to for advice in that kind of store. I dont know how long he will be there because he said that he is thinking about taking a teaching position at a local trade school. I certainly wouldnt blame him but would sure miss him. BTW I enjoyed your website today. Very nice work on the IPE box. Nice tight fitting corners.

Alamode I am sure you are not the only one with a good story about HD. I wasnt trying to bash the place. I enjoy having it close by and the people are all usually nice. Its not their fault that they dont know too much about the products they are selling. You just have to appreciate HD for what it is...and not try to pretend its something it isnt.

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

quote:Originally posted by alamode

...You guys should get a kickba. ahem... "finders fee"!
                        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• djmcheme
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Aug 2005

I love HD and wheelchair dudes

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

Some serious thread necropsy here.
                            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

Mark

Are you say this thread is dead and in morgue being Autopsied

Tom
                              I looked up the meaning.

Comment

Working...