• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Woman throws hand grenade

this is just a little too funny, I had to share it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the laugh....
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Looks like slap stick comedy, however at the time, I can assure you that it is no laughing matter. Those are highly trained instructors.
      Accidents like this do occur in training. Sometimes even inside the box. I never saw an accident like that, but there were plenty of shrapnel scars inside the boxes we threw from.
      We threw concussion grenades in Boot Camp. We threw plenty of practice grenades that basically had a fire cracker inside, however the real McCoy is much different.
      After I pulled the pin, it seemed like I held it behind my head for a very long time. Just a second really. That is a feeling you will never forget.
      I could easily see how someone's nerves might get the best of them in live training exercises. Throwing firecrackers does not really prepare you for when the real deal starts exploding in close proximity.
      Lee

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I remember the grenade range to be a VERY serious place. So much so that now, 40 years later, I can't bring myself to laugh at this woman's lame throw.
        JR

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Having never thrown a grenade (the ones that look like avocados), what is the proper technique? Throw like a baseball or more like you're trying to do a skyhook in basketball?

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

They taught us to heave it off your shoulder rather than throw it.
            I am far more accurate throwing it like a baseball, but they do have reasons for instructing you to do it that way. Probably so your finger don't get wrapped around the handle when you release it and simply drop the grenade at your feet. That would not be a successful deployment.

The motion was to put the grenade in your chest. Grenade in throwing hand. Other hand index finger through the pull ring. Pull the pin while still keeping it in on your finger. Cock the grenade behind your ear, rock back and heave it. In the very same motion, hit the dirt. Cover your ears. Keep your butt down.
            Last edited by Stytooner; 03-14-2014, 02:56 PM.
            Lee

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Lee learned it the way I did. Probably the most serious and dangerous part of basic training. I was told throwing a grenade wasn't to toss it a mile it was to get a closer target. Use a grenade launcher or Mortar for distance. That was probably the most nervous I was during basic training. Every body in our Platoon paid real close attention to the instructor and followed directions to the letter. Also don't be John Wayne and pull pin with teeth you loose em.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

So it reads like you almost throw it like a shot put?

Yeah, I can imagine you could flub the throw if you wrapped your fingers around it and it caught while you tossed it.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT-3000, 21829

I did Basic at Ft. Jackson, SC in 1966. I was last one in my company to throw the grenade because, as an 'Acting Jack' I had to hand each of my guys his grenade as he entered the bunker for his turn to throw.

I faced my DI and pulled the pin, lobbed that sucker about 65 feet and it rolled up to the stake with a beat-up 'steel pot' on it. My sarge yelled, "Holy $h!t" and pulled me down on the ground where we.waited for the big boom.

He then stood me up and screamed "You didn't throw it hard enough",(expletive deleted).

Turns out that the rest of the guys had been told to heave the grenade as hard as they could. When I got up to the line and saw the beat-up helmet I thought that was the target!

Sarge said, "Oh".
                  You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                  of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

Working...