• Show
Clear All
  • btse1
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2015
    • Tacoma, WA
    • Ryobi BT3000

Problem with my BT3000

I have a Ryobi BT3000 table saw and have owned it for about a decade. More recently it has become difficult to raise the saw. The apparent reason is that the casting that carries the motor/arbor is somewhat loose in the vertical guides.

Unless I reach in and lift the far end where the play is most noticeable, it is basically impossible to raise the blade with the handwheel. See photo at Otherwise it wants to bind against the vertical guides. I don’t see any way to adjust the mounting to take out the significant play. Is it possible that a shim has gone missing that would otherwise keep the motor true in the guides?

Grateful for any advice ….
    Last edited by Black wallnut; 04-21-2015, 11:40 PM.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I think you are missing a shim, likely the outer front one, right side in your pic. See the article on shim replacement here.
    In fsct upon closer inspection of your pic you can see that the bent shim on the right is fallen to the bottom. The tabs on top must have bent over a while ago. The good news is if you read the article and follow the link to shim supports you could fix your saw with a slight modification and will never have to worry about shims again.
    Last edited by Black wallnut; 04-21-2015, 11:48 PM.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sounds like a classic shim failure. The lack of shims is evident from the score marks on the right hand ways.

in the attached picture, I have placed 2 green cirrcles. Its hard to see from the angle you took the picture but if you raise your angle of view some you should see the tops of two brass shims between the moving parts. The shims are normally nominally attached to the vertically moving locker bracket by way of the bent over lips on top and bottom of the shims which wrap around the sides and front (as viewed) of the fixed piece.

There's normally a pair of angled shims that goes (as viewed here) on the front and the sides of the opening. And a second pair of flat shims that go heind the opening.

The blue circle I added shows what looks to be a partially lost shim.
      The shims are just a bit longer than the height of the locker bracket.

If you replace them, lube the fixed ways where the shims should ride with paste wax. When the shims stick to the fixed part from too much friction then they get pulled out from under the moving locker bracket.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• btse1
        Handtools only
        • Apr 2015
        • Tacoma, WA
        • Ryobi BT3000

Black Wallnut and Lchien, thank you both very much for the advice. Onward to find replacement shims!

Tom

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I concur. Shim problem - you can even see a bent up shim in the photo.

Good news - replace those shims, and you'll get a few more good years out of your saw.

Bad news - they're getting harder to find.

Since you've torn everything apart - check the belts while you're at it.
          Last edited by durango dude; 04-24-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Zip1
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI, USA.

Do I recall someone creating their own shims by cutting up an aluminum soda can? maybe a good stop-gap solution?

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

The good news is there is enough of the right shim to fix it with shim supports. Better news is it looks like the left shim is still in place. The rear shims are held captive IIRC.

My brother just made a set of shims for his saw. He just used shim stock that is available at just about any industrial supply house. He happens to work at one such place.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...