• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Domino again

On another thread "Next Tool " seen here, a subpost (by Neal) got me to thinking:

Originally posted by Neal
    I really like my Festool Domino loose tenon setup. REALLY like it. There is plenty of stuff about that on the internets. Be prepared to drop some bank though. I have and am learning to use the DF500.
    I wish ya'll would shut up about the Domino! I don't have $1000 laying around!

I am working in my mind designing a "sleigh" bed with curved headboard backing and curved footboard for my daughter. I need a way to "join" 1 1/2" wide strips/boards (oak) 5 ft long, 3/4" thick, each with about 2 degrees angle on each side. I have an old PC biscuit joiner and it works OK. It is tough on perfect alignment, but with clamps it works OK.

With the angled cuts (2°) on each side of the strips, clamping will be mildly difficult but not impossible. I do get a fair amount of slop with the biscuit joiner, which I don't like.

QUESTIONS: Does the Domino eliminate much of the slop of biscuits? What is the advantage of the Domino over biscuits?

Most of what I make have at their core - considerable joinery of some kind.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by leehljp
    On another thread "Next Tool " seen here, a subpost (by Neal) got me to thinking:

I wish ya'll would shut up about the Domino! I don't have $1000 laying around!

I am working in my mind designing a "sleigh" bed with curved headboard backing and curved footboard for my daughter. I need a way to "join" 1 1/2" wide strips/boards (oak) 5 ft long, 3/4" thick, each with about 2 degrees angle on each side. I have an old PC biscuit joiner and it works OK. It is tough on perfect alignment, but with clamps it works OK.

With the angled cuts (2°) on each side of the strips, clamping will be mildly difficult but not impossible. I do get a fair amount of slop with the biscuit joiner, which I don't like.

QUESTIONS: Does the Domino eliminate much of the slop of biscuits? What is the advantage of the Domino over biscuits?

Most of what I make have at their core - considerable joinery of some kind.
    I bought one when they came out (when ebay and bing cash back gave a 30% discount) and found I didn't use it much for the type work I do and sold it. But the Domino has an adjustment for the side clearance. Cane be set to pretty loose to pretty tight. The thickness fit is similar to biscuits but side to side can be tighter.

Mike

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Even though the outside case looks the same,The Domino isn't a biscuit joiner. It's a mortising tool. It does the same thing a router would do when creating mortises. Most any mortising operation you can do with a router you should be able to do with the domino. I say should because there were some discussion on another forum talking about not being able to accomplish with the Domino. In my personal use however, I haven't found such a situation. I have used it to glue counter tops before and while I get better alignment its by no means perfect. I still had to sand down the high spots. In fact Marc Spag (woodwhisperer) used it to align the top of his Roubo bench and he still had to use a router sled to flatten the top. So while I think you will get better tolerances over a biscuit joiner, you will still need to clean it up.

If you don't want to spend the money on a domino, have you considered making a horizontal router. This guy has a pretty good design and is made out of mostly mdf and hardwood.

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

There are two major advantages of a domino over biscuits with respect to alignment.
        1. Side to side registration can be set tight or loose. I usually set one side registered with the alignment pins so there is no slop. All the others a little loose. This ensures alighment of the two pieces without making a fit too tight if one is off a little bit because I missed the line.
        2. A domino can be much narrower than a biscuit so you can use them on face frames etc where biscuits are difficult or would be seen.

A big disadvantage is that it is a tool that, according to Festool, must be used with dust collection or it can overheat, plug, or jam. So add another $600 if you want to add a Festool vac as well.
        Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol
          There are two major advantages of a domino over biscuits with respect to alignment.
          1. Side to side registration can be set tight or loose. I usually set one side registered with the alignment pins so there is no slop. All the others a little loose. This ensures alighment of the two pieces without making a fit too tight if one is off a little bit because I missed the line.
          2. A domino can be much narrower than a biscuit so you can use them on face frames etc where biscuits are difficult or would be seen.
          This is the kind of info that I was looking for. Thanks.

A big disadvantage is that it is a tool that, according to Festool, must be used with dust collection or it can overheat, plug, or jam. So add another $600 if you want to add a Festool vac as well.
          I don't have a Festool vac but I do have a Fein. I love the way that thing sucks, is VS and has an outlet for the tool on the vac itself.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I used my Domino with a Ridgid vac for years before I picked up a second Festool vac on eBay. I never had an issue with it. I was just too lazy to disconnect the Festool vac from the miter saw.

The two Festool CT33's I have also have an outlet on them so the vac is triggered by the tool. I have one permanently at the Kapex and the other sits next to my MFT/3 and I use it with all my other tools. When my shop needs to be mobile, they both go.

For face frames, the domino is as fast as pocket screws* without the ugly holes.

*That is for your working time. With dominos, glue needs to dry where that isn't the case with pocket screws.
            Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol

For face frames, the domino is as fast as pocket screws* without the ugly holes.

*That is for your working time. With dominos, glue needs to dry where that isn't the case with pocket screws.
              I hadn't thought about that part. That would give "me" some added choices on design options. With pocket screws, I usually design construction with them almost totally hidden. Some past photos of my hutch, book cases and even my router center, the pocket screws were nearly impossible to find and they were not filled in. Glue times don't bother me that much.

Looks like I need to start saving for a Domino. Might take a year to get that much put aside without LOML noticing it!
              Hank Lee

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Yeah, to think of the Domino as a biscuit joiner really sells it short. It's a portable mortise machine. Dust extraction is required. You won't get as good of results, and the bit will heat up unnecessarily without it. Any kind will do, the track saw and the Domino don't need variable speed, and the Domino creates fines, so a smaller hose is fine.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

The Domino is the one tool Festool makes that is unique. If I buy a Festool this would be the one. The 500 is limited to smaller loose tenons. There is a 750 for bigger ones, like for doors. I can't see buying two. There are apparently ways to use the small cutters I the 750 but it is even pricier than the 500. I can make mortise and tenon joints with my plunge router and hollow chisel mortise and table saw. But a Domino would be much faster. Another disadvantage of the domino is the price of the little tenons, however.

Comment

Working...