• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by JimD
    One of the reasons I don't believe bringing in a lawyer immediately and always is the right answer is I think we have an obligation to help the police. If we really didn't do anything but can help the police move on to whoever did, it helps justice be done. They have a job to do and everybody being uncooperative doesn't help.
    It's apparent that GZ's cooperation and "help", didn't help him.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Profiling

Some of the GZ's case included the subject of profiling. I respect LEO's and their job. They have quite a bit of responsibility, and have to make split second decisions. What I do see, watching cop shows is the cop following a vehicle, and saying something about the area, and a suspicious looking car or people in it, and pulls the car over on a "flickering tailight", or "not a complete stop", or "not using directional signals".

When the car is approached, he asks for a DL, insurance card, and registration. Then he asks where they are coming from, or where they are going. What does that have to do with why the car was pulled over? He might also say "What drugs are in the car?", or "When was the last time you did drugs?", or "Why are you so nervous?"

The DUI roadside tests can be very conclusive. If they give enough of them out there next to the road, it's likely they will find one test that can prove worthwhile enough to arrest the individual. Then it's up to the individual to prove and pay for his defense of the charges. That can be a long drawn out expensive affair.

Questions like that not related to the PC of the stop...my book says profiling. This is America, and does it matter where we drive our cars? Or is it any business of the officer to know where someone came from, or where they are headed?

I will say that not answering those questions is a right that we have, but can also infer some guilt. There is some intimidation because of cars with blue flashing lights, a siren, a badge, a gun, and a handy nightstick, not to say a 5 cell flashlight couldn't be a weapon.

So, maybe LEO's see the necessity to profile, because sooner or later it works.

Comment

• alpha
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Many, many police departments are now using special cameras in their cars. The cameras are recording the license plates of vehicles. Here is a link to what is happening in our area. Read the comments after the story and you'll understand some of the pros and cons of this technology.

The LEO will already know where you have been when he pulls you over.

Comment

• annunaki
          • Jan 2008
          • White Springs, Florida
          • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Who was joshua chellew and why was he less important that travon martin?

WHO WAS JOSHUA CHELLEW AND WHY WAS HE LESS IMPORTANT THAT TRAVON MARTIN? -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

While I realize you have strong feelings about the TM/GZ case, don't you think you're going a bit overboard with the number of posts you are making about it?

This is now political in nature and that particular post is also racist, IMHO.

I think you have made your point, and while I don't agree 100%, I'm not about to dig up every possible case that I can find to support either side of the issue.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I completely agree with CWS! There are plenty of other places online to discuss such things. BT3Central is not one of them. We are a community that draws an international audience of folks that have a passion for woodworking. Topics that have been discussed lately in Around the Coffee Pot are not advancing the goals of the site and in fact may drive new membership away. We the forum staff nearly shut down the GZ thread for these reasons. I would prefer to not have to close threads but this has gone on too long. Just like cycling forums have placed a limit on new Lance Armstrong threads we will have a no more GZ case inspired threads. Current threads may be merged into one thread.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

While I haven't responded to any of those threads, I am in complete agreement with the above posts.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I haven't even read the threads, as I can't seem to get AWAY from the discussion, which is why I come to places like here.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

All George Zimmerman Threads

All threads spawned by the GZ trial go here.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

I haven't checked out any of the other threads but I agree it's getting excessive. This is supposed to be a woodworking forum but there seems to be fewer and fewer of woodworking threads. I know that's the main reason I first came here and suspect the same for others.
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...