• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Any guesses?

Turned these tonight, and cut the steel stock yesterday. I'm sure its apparent what these will end up becoming. There's one more in the works to complete a set of 4.

I decided to take a shot at making these based on some Youtube tutorials. The wood is some poplar I bought on the cheap (from 8/4 stock 10in wide, I got a 10 ft piece for $5 because it was twisted) - it is stained with Minwax "Provincial". The steel rod is from the BORG, 3/8in square x 3ft length for ~$7. When done, the handles will be ~13 inches, and the rod will extend another ~6 inches; so I'll likely have $40 total invested for what retails for ~$400 from Rockler, Woodcraft, etc.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

looks like you'll have a nice set of turning chisels.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Too easy! Looks like the handles turned out great! Are you going to harden the steel or is what you bought hard enough to hold an edge?
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

It looks like they're set to mount carbide cutters.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Right. The best kind of lathe tools. Custom made by you.

If you have a torch (Map gas better than propane) you can anneal the ends. This makes it easy to shape the tool ends. I always wrap a wet cloth around where I don't want annealed and keep it wet.

Grind your basic profile. Then harden and do the sharpening. My FIL used to make knives and that was his process. They would hold an edge pretty well.

To anneal, I heat the end red hot. Then let it cool at air temp with that wet rag still in place. Then you can work it easily.

Heat it red hot again afterward and dip in oil. Do that a couple times and you will have steel that will keep an edge awhile.

Different processes of course for different grades of steel and what you actually want to achieve, but it isn't that hard to do.
          Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Yes, good guesses about these becoming lathe chisels. And Jdon is right about the carbide - I still have to drill and tap for the carbide inserts. So I won't actually be trying to shape the steel itself.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Nice! Where are you getting the carbide cutters?

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

what is the wall thickness of the 3/8" square tubing? Do the carbides fasten with set screws?
                capncarl

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Gerti I may get the carbide from Capn Eddie but I'm still shopping around and appreciate any input on a good source.
                  Capncarl its solid bar stock not tubing and attach with 10-24 screws.
                  Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 11-30-2014, 03:15 AM.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

3 of 5 Complete

I finally had some time to assemble 3 of the lathe tools. I finished the handles with spray shellac, and used epoxy to anchor the steel shafts and copper ferrules. I'll have five tools total when done; I have two more in work (need to finish handles). These were planned around a square cutter, a 4in radiused square cutter, a round cutter, and two diamond cutters. I may add a sixth tool if I get a round sheer-finishing cutter.

For the carbide, I went with AZCarbide in Chandler, Arizona. Dale Guilford is the proprietor, and provides a personal touch by contacting his customers directly to confirm their purchase. I found his prices extremely reasonable (much lower than my local woodworking supply stores), and he uses very affordable flat rate shipping ($2) with delivery tracking. The cutters arrived yesterday (see photo showing packaging) - and they appear to be very high quality. Dale provides the mounting screws as well (#8-32, but I damaged my 8-32 tap, so those shown on the mounted cutters are some #10-24 I went with instead). Here's the website: http://azcarbide.com/. Dale also has an eBay store.

All told, I have about $50 invested in creating these 5 tools. And I still have materials left over to make the sixth, so that tool will be a "freebie" less the cost of the cutter. So $10 a piece. Each tool is 18inches total length - 12 inch handle, and 6 inches from ferrule to cutter.

I received the cutters yesterday, and mounted them to my tools today. I hope to give them a try tomorrow to produce those last two handles I need, and will post my impression of the cutters.

Thanks for looking.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 12-06-2014, 04:17 AM.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

The tools look great! You will enjoy using something you built a lot better than store bought. 4:20 am, doesn't anyone sleep around here?.
                      capncarl

Comment

• durango dude
                        • Mar 2011
                        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Nice work !

Interesting philosophical question arises --- how were the first ever turning chisels made?

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Those look great. Yes, please report back on how they work out.

The carbide cutters I've seen sit in a recess cut out of the bar stock--maybe so the cutter can't spin around? I can't tell from the pics if you did that or not.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

Paul, they're working great. I just completed my last bowl entirely with these tools, loved how they performed. Another shout out for AZCarbide - the cutters are great!

And yes - I ground in a slight recess on the steel bars for the square and round cutters, but not the detailers, since I don't have a milling machine to cut that geometry. As it turns out, a recess isn't really necessary, as the screw used to anchor the carbide cutter provides sufficient friction between the cutter and steel so they don't rotate during use (in my experience). However, I was prepared to use the Capn Eddie method if needed - he puts a drop of CA glue between the cutter and steel if needed, which can be heated later to release the cutter for rotation/replacement.
                            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Oh man, those look great. After I build my stand I might have to research this further.
                              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...