• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Building Permit Question

The homeowner gets a building permit for a certain installation through a certain contractor, and the contractor files for a notice of commencement. If after the work is completed, and there is no call for a final inspection, (by either the contractor or the homeowner), what are the consequences...if any?

• Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Tear it all back out to a point where the inspector can do his job.
    There may be fines as well.
    Lee

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

It all depends on the specific code authority and the municipality in question.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

It also heavily relies on what type of building it is and the intended usage.
        An outback shed with minimal electric is a different ball game than a public sports arena.
        More details about the plan and municipality must be considered.
        Lee

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

Generally in our area, the local

code enforcement will issue a "cease and desist" order. As noted above, dependant on the structure being build. Some times fines are levied against the property owner.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Here is some details. We had a new hurricane exterior door installed. We bought it at HD, and paid them in full for the door, permit fees, and installation. The installation contractor filed for a notice of commencement. IOW the door was installed under a permit.

Now, I'm wondering if I have to call to have a final inspection. I would rather not.

Comment

• newbie2wood
              Established Member
              • Apr 2004
              • NJ, USA.

Until the inspection is completed, the job is not approved. Should any problems arise later with liability or insurance claim, the burden is on you to show it was done correctly (or to be able to shift the burden to HD). A permit is just an application informing the town that you are planning to commence on a project, and the town have agreed to the project (not to the final results).

If the job was recently completed, I would call the township for an inspection. If inspection does not pass, have HD fix it. If the job was done quite awhile ago and the warranty is expired, you will have to make the call based on your comfort regarding the installation.

I do not know much about hurricane exterior doors but an inspection for an regular exterior door on a retrofit or storm door is minimal in scope. When the township inspector inspected my storm door, he just opened and closed the door, measured the door size, and eyeball the trims.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

In our county, the building code administrator will follow up after 18 months if there is no activity on the permit. Normally when the permit is issued it lists the inspections required throughout the process and the normal remedy here is that any work done beyond the inspection point that hinders the inspection process can be ordered taken out to allow for the inspection. While this is jurisdiction dependent, we are able to take photos at certain points in the process and just provide those at the time of final inspection. We had our roof replaced and needed to provide photos of the house with the roof removed, valleys sealed, any repairs to the structure, and the ice and water barrier. The only actual inspection was the final. It took about ten minutes.

Personally, I would call for the inspection and if it passes, great, if not kick it back to HD to correct any identified issues.
                Chr's

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by newbie2wood
                  Until the inspection is completed, the job is not approved. Should any problems arise later with liability or insurance claim, the burden is on you to show it was done correctly (or to be able to shift the burden to HD). A permit is just an application informing the town that you are planning to commence on a project, and the town have agreed to the project (not to the final results).

If the job was recently completed, I would call the township for an inspection. If inspection does not pass, have HD fix it. If the job was done quite awhile ago and the warranty is expired, you will have to make the call based on your comfort regarding the installation.

I do not know much about hurricane exterior doors but an inspection for an regular exterior door on a retrofit or storm door is minimal in scope. When the township inspector inspected my storm door, he just opened and closed the door, measured the door size, and eyeball the trims.
                  I agree with your reasoning for a final inspection. Under normal circumstances, I would get one. My hesitation in doing so is due to the fact that there are some very obvious improvements (other than the door) that were not done with a permit. Having an inspector do an inspection could have repercussions.

Comment

• Daryl
                    • May 2004

Call the contractor, have them handle the details. I should be their onus to make sure final inspection is passed.
                    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

C-man, they should only bother you about the door. They usually don't pull the records and floor plan and then try to match up what you have to what they have on record. These are usually county workers that need to meet quota, so they go out based on the printout they have and usually limit their scope to just that, they dont want to spend any more time than they have to at one location. Volunteer nothing, say nothing other than yes no to questions.
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• T...K21
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2012
                        • Southern Idaho
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        Here is some details. We had a new hurricane exterior door installed. We bought it at HD, and paid them in full for the door, permit fees, and installation. The installation contractor filed for a notice of commencement. IOW the door was installed under a permit.

Now, I'm wondering if I have to call to have a final inspection. I would rather not.

I'm sorry but this confuses me. You needed a permit to replace or add to an exterior door? Did it require alteration of the existing framing and header?

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
                          C-man, they should only bother you about the door. They usually don't pull the records and floor plan and then try to match up what you have to what they have on record. These are usually county workers that need to meet quota, so they go out based on the printout they have and usually limit their scope to just that, they dont want to spend any more time than they have to at one location. Volunteer nothing, say nothing other than yes no to questions.
                          One of the "obvious" improvements is our sheds. We are allowed one 100 sq ft shed, with certain setbacks from the rear and side property lines. We have two, and each one is 10'x12'. It takes no "lookin' up" to find out. Worst case scenario I guess is that I would have to pay a fine and remove them.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by T...K21
                            I'm sorry but this confuses me. You needed a permit to replace or add to an exterior door? Did it require alteration of the existing framing and header?
                            As the saying goes...you don't need a permit if you don't get caught. I could have installed the door myself, but we were trying to get a mitigation to our homeowners insurance, and had to have the "legal paperwork" to show.

Comment

• All Thumbs
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Penn Hills, PA
                              • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Just blow the inspection off. Building inspector will probably send a letter or postcard in a few months indicating they need an inspection. Blow that off, too.

Comment

Working...