• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

A good cause!

Hello there, I know it has been a long while since I have posted on here. But things have been busy around our house. With bike rides and races, work and other things to do I have not had a lot of time, plus the teenagers take over the computer .

What I would like to share is that since my husband has been riding his bike and getting into shape. If you don't know, Black Wallnut, is my husband. I have started walking on a regular basis doing about a mile or more a night. I have now signed up to walk with my aunt who was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months ago. Thank god that they found it soon enough. She did have a masectomy (double) so that this would not happen again, and lymph nodes were removed. She has been given the "cancer free" diagnosis now. She has been a huge inspiration to me and I am joining her for this walk. I have never been motivated about this before have always wanted to do this and now I am doing it.

Join Making Strides for the new season and join the millions of walkers who have made strides to end breast cancer. Sign up and be the difference today.

I believe that I have copied the correct link. If anyone would like to share this or pass it on or even donate to this wonderful cause to help breast cancer patients and survivors, anything is greatly appreciated.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005

bump

Comment

• Dal300
      Banned
      • Aug 2011
      • East Central Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I wish I could donate, but our limited income precludes a lot of stuff we use to do.

Bravo for you and for your aunt! My mother had a radical mastectomy back in 1961. It was what I would describe as brutal. The surgeon took everything from right of her breast bone all the way around to the left, including breast, arm pit and half of her shoulder blade.

From that time on my mother had a terrible outlook on life and drove just about every male away from her with her attitude.

With modern methods I am so glad this can be caught earlier and the surgery and outcome is so much better.

Bless you!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
        Bandsaw Box Momma
        • Apr 2005

Thank you for the support anyways. Just the encouragement is great. I understand about funds also. I am so sorry about what your mother had to go through I am sure it was hard for everyone.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

We need more people like you in this world. I recently started a new work that requires considerable volunteers to keep going. It is hard to find volunteers in both giving and doing but the people are there.

Keep up the good work!

Hank Lee
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
            Bandsaw Box Momma
            • Apr 2005

Thank you Hank. I appreciate it greatly. This aunt and I are very close and I have been going through a lot wondering how bad it was and I just didn't want to lose her. Thank you so much. I will post some pictures of everything when the event comes around.

Comment

• Dal300
              Banned
              • Aug 2011
              • East Central Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Support the women in your life guys.

I see there have been 183 views of this thread but only Lee and I have answered.

Breast cancer is not just a female ailment, it can be deadly and affects men also although not to the degree it does women.

How would it feel to you to put out a plea like this and be mostly ignored?

Or, in other, not so kind words, GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING TO SUPPORT MA WALLNUT!

Comment

• Daryl
                • May 2004

Don't misunderstand me, I like the sweater kittens as much as the next guy.
                Breast cancer and prostate cancer have pretty similar numbers, and yet prostate cancer gets less than half the federal money for research.
                Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Dal300
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2011
                  • East Central Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I agree, but I also feel that men themselves are to blame for that.

How many men do you know that will willingly go out and let another guy stick something in their nether parts?
                  How many guys do you know that say, "Ah, it's nothing, probably indigestion"?
                  How many men do you know that actually go to the doctor willingly without an extremely good reason or a woman pushing them?
                  We are tough, we are macho, we are indestructible, we are bulletproof! We don't whine, we carry on.

Women on the otherhand have networked for so long that they can get their message out there, Men can't.

So if you feel that men are getting short shrift on Federal dollars, look to who you have to blame.

Originally posted by Daryl
                  Don't misunderstand me, I like the sweater kittens as much as the next guy.
                  Breast cancer and prostate cancer have pretty similar numbers, and yet prostate cancer gets less than half the federal money for research.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005

Thank you to everyone.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                      Bandsaw Box Momma
                      • Apr 2005

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Thanks for the support. I am working hard to get ready for this and hope to do the whole 5 miles.

Comment

• Sparky2002
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2007
                        • Chester County, PA
                        • BT3000

Good Luck

Good Luck with the walk. Both my grandmothers fought the disease back in the early 80s with different methods. Both won their battles.
                        -Shawn

Comment

• Dal300
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2011
                          • East Central Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Come back and let us know how it went! PLEASE!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                            Bandsaw Box Momma
                            • Apr 2005

I will post pictures of the walk and let everyone know how it went. I just have a couple of weeks left before I do this. Getting excited about doing this.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                              Bandsaw Box Momma
                              • Apr 2005

For those of you in the Bellevue area if you want to come down and show your support for this that would be wonderful. I believe that the route or map of the walk is in the link I have posted up above.

I think I am going to need some encouragement to make this even though I will be with a group of people who are all wonderful friends and family. Having others share in this is great encouragement also.

Comment

Working...