• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

Fence not sitting and sliding well

I have a weird issue with my rip fence. It suddenly does not seem to sit on the rails right and does not slide easily.

I was making a new sill to replace some rotting window sills when this happened. At the start the fence was sliding left and right just fine -- it slides well enough that I could gently tap it with my finger to move it a hair line over. I took the fence off to do a long cross cut. I put the fence back onto the rail and noticed that the front wouldn't sit right on the rail anymore. When I do get it to sit, it sits really tight and I couldn't slide it left and right freely anymore. I had to use a lot more force to move it. I check the back and the back is loose and moving freely.

I have looked it over and the fence looks fine. I have never dropped or abuse it. I have tried cleaning it, and loosen and tighten various screws to no use. The puzzling part is that it was sliding freely right before I took it off. I'm a bit lost in what to look for next. Any wishdom is appreciated.
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

It sounds like when you put the fence back on it's not on the rails correctly. I don't have access to mine right now or a manual, but, I'd suggest taking it off & trying to put it back on again; use the diagrams in the manual if you have one. I've had this type of thing happen before & I just didn't get the fence back on the rails quite right.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Check to see if the rear clamper is stuck in the locked position. Make sure you place the rear on first then front.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

Roller, part number 3 may have fallen off.

Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

Check to make sure the wheel on which the rear of the fence rides
          is still there. DAMHIKT!
          Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 08-26-2013, 07:45 PM. Reason: Oops! I must read all previous posts thoroughly before responding. :o:o
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• trungdok
            Established Member
            • Oct 2012
            • MA

Thanks guys. I've checked the fence again. It seems to be sitting on the rails correctly and the roller on the back is still there and spinning freely, but it's still hard to slide.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Is the handle in the fully raised position?
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                Is the handle in the fully raised position?
                It's not all the way to the top, but it's near there -- roughly 3/4 way to the top. If I press it to the top, then it pushes a rod inside the fence and tighten the rear clamp. I'm not sure what design is meant for.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Loosen the grips on the rails and slide them to one side so that about 12 inches is clear of anything on the TS . . . i.e. about 10 to 12 inches of the rails are hanging out beyond the TS table base or other platform on the top.

Get under and look at the front of the fence as you place it on, look from the end of the rails; and look at the back end from the back, and from up under - as you place the the rip fence on the rail on and off several times.

Look for something that doesn't seem right. Is there a flap that gets in the way as you place the head of fence on the rail? To me, from your description, this seems to be the problem. Turn the fence head upside down and watch the movement of the levers and tightening mechanism.

Is the hook on the end of the fence not UNDER the lip? Sometimes the tail stock end kind of locks with the hook pushed in. It will not release until tapped lightly with a hammer or screwdriver head. It is very difficult to move it if that is the case. Another way to check this is by placing the front of the fence on the rail and letting the tail in down slowly. Does the hook rest on top of the rail of go down automatically into the channel?

IF it is not sliding, it should be able to be seen as to what is holding it back.

Just thought of something. Did you by any chance move the rails from one side to another and by chance loosen one of the rail tightening bolts very loose? IF so, the rail could have possibly dropped down just enough to catch the lip of the boss - taking it out of alignment by a fraction of a mm and causing a similar problem.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...