• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

good tools ---- what a difference

A couple of years ago, I picked up an inexpensive PC forstner bit set from Lowe's. Not complaining - they did the job ----- but they were never fantastic. They could burn the wood at times - and after a year or so of use, I noticed the bits were tearing the wood out more than they were cutting the wood.

Just recently, I replaced some of my most frequently used bits with some Freud bits. Holy smokes! You can see the difference as soon as you touch the bit to the wood.

The cutting is smooth ---- and the shavings come out as nice, curly shavings, not a bunch of sawdust or chunks of torn wood.

Lesson learned ---- good stuff makes a difference.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Truer words were never spoken!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by durango dude

Lesson learned ---- good stuff makes a difference.
      +1 on that.
      Richard

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

You mean someone besides HF has tools?

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

I know that the Freud name has become synonymous with Home Depot since they carry that line, but for what its worth, Freud has been around a long time. I was looking at some FWW magazines from the 70's and sure enough they were advertising in that magazine as premier quality tools. Despite it being available at HD, I have found Freud products to be absolutely awesome at a relatively entry level price. I don't know if there is any more of an improvement with their industrial line. Maybe knottscott can chime in on that, I believe he has one of every blade
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I posted a thread a short while ago on the same theme. Man, having the right tool and a QUALITY tool at that, makes all the difference in just doing a job - versus looking forward to the next job.

I had a HF miter saw stand. It was a pain but it sure helped me get the job done. THEN I got a Bosch Gravity-Rise stand. It makes looking forward to using the Miter saw inviting!

Congratulations and I appreciate your post. I too have HF type of forstners and have wondered if a quality set such as Freud or some of the expensive ones in LeeValley would be worth it. Your post made up my mind. It might be a few months but that will be a purchase for sometimes next year for sure.

Thanks!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• hermit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Somerset, PA, USA.

I had the exact same experience. Have been using a set from MLCS since '02. Bought a Freud set at The Woodworking Shows in Jan. Cost $200 but sure are sweet. Major diff.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I'm not pooh-poohing the other stuff --- but in my experience - spending money on a few important tools is worthwhile.

I've noticed the difference:
                - Switched from original TS blade to Freud 10-40 all-purpose (way better)
                - Put a new blade (Olson) on my band saw.
                - Freud spiral upcut bit instead of a Craftsman straight bit (way, way better)
                - Replaced a couple of Porter Cable Forstner bits with Freud

So - I've done it enough to notice the difference.

Longer-term upgrade plans:
                - Good dado
                - A better combination square
                - Hock blades for my jack and block plane (ones I use the most)
                - Good roundover bit set (I do roundovers on almost everything)
                - rabetting bit set (will likely buy one with the Rockler trim table)

Comment

• greenacres2
                  • Dec 2011
                  • La Porte, IN
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Hey Durango Dude--if you like the Olsen on your bandsaw, try the Wood Slicer from Highland woodworking. I know it's meant for resawing, but I have found it to be pretty usable for general purpose too. Can't say enough good things about it.

My TS pretty much gets Freud blades, and the Trend bit/blade cleaner keeps them running well. I'm afraid to try a Forrest--don't need another expensive habit!!

Got a Fein sander in a CL deal a year or so back ($35, the forerunner to the oscillating tool)--that's a great little machine. Excellent control for fine-tuning tennons too!!

On the other side--my old B & D 1/3 sheet sander will no longer turn on, and the Skil palm sander just lets the sandpaper drift anywhere it wants. I've been fighting both for too long and now it's over the top. Thinking I may try the Makita palm sander at $50 or so--just to get through a few projects and rebuild some funds. Got a 72 x 18 table top and 72 x 11 shelf that I just don't want to hand sand right now!!

Earl

Comment

• Carpenter96
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • Barrie ON Canada
                    • BT 3000

I have been using Freud combination blades on my table saw for 20 years and have tried many brands at work. For the money Freud is great. I tell my students all the time buy the best tool that you can afford and it will make your life easier. The problem comes when you cannot afford better tools. Then you must have great patience and save up.
                    Regards Bob

Comment

Working...