X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom.In.Maryland
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2013

Conversion of BT3100to 240V single phase

Can someone tell me what is involved in converting a BT3100 to 240V single phase ???
    Thanks, Tom
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

The BT3x00 saw have an universal motor; they are usually always single voltage motors they lack the field windings that can be placed in parallel or series to switch between 120 and 240V.

So your options (in no particular order) are to
    have your motor rewound for 240V
    use a 2:1 step down transformer rated for the current
    use a autotransformer ( a special case of adjustable transformer) rated for current
    Use a electronic voltage converter, I don't know of any but I'm sure they exist. At the very least you can get UPS that have 240 in and 120 out at the required current but this would be expensive

The question is why would you want to do so?
    Taking the saw to Europe or abroad (Reasonable)
    have 240V in the basement ( in which case its probably cheaper to rewire the outlet for 120V)
    THink it will work better because you've heard that tools run better on 240V. (probably not true)
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-02-2013, 11:11 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom.In.Maryland
      Handtools only
      • Nov 2013

Yes thought that 240V is better? Isn't 240V better if you have it? I have both available.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Tom.In.Maryland
        Yes thought that 240V is better? Isn't 240V better if you have it?
        Not necessarily. 240 VAC is preferred for higher power loads because the current is lower, allowing for less voltage drop and smaller wire.

For a BT3, though, there is really no benefit to 240 VAC, even if it could be readily converted.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

For 2HP and above machines, yes 240 is better, the BT3K is a 1.5HP machine. It won't benefit even if it could run on that voltage...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

240 is better for tools over 15 amps.
            For the BT3x00 there's no real advantage as the guys before me have said. Just make sure that the wiring you have for the 120V circuit is all high capacity wiring - 12 Ga would be the preference, 14 is acceptable. I mean the wiring in the walls and any short extension cords you may be using with the saw.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• paultnl
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2004
              • United Kingdom.

I have run my BT3000 for over 10 years in England using one of these http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-368259/f...FVMdtAodzkcASw

Comment

• Tom.In.Maryland
                Handtools only
                • Nov 2013

I am building out a new shop. I had a BT3000 before (not now) I will be getting a BT3100 Nd I have some other saws like a delta compound miter saw, hand circular saw, rilwaukee router, shop vac etc. I have:

One 30A-240V circuit
                and
                Two 20A-120V circuit

Do you think I will need more?

Please let me know your thoughts about my shop electrical capacity as I need to do this before I continue with the build out.

Thanks,
                Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think I have 5 120V 20A circuits in my garage - added four to the original one.

1. Two CFL Light sockets, 5 dual 40-inch fluorescent Lights, a couple of local "task" spotlights, radio, etc, GDO, (some people recommend dividing lights onto multiple circuits so if there is a breaker trip you won't be tripping around in the dark in your shop full of sharp spinning tools)
                  2. Air compressor (one 8 Gal unit rated 15A) - can kick on any time
                  3. Table saw BT3000 rated 15A
                  4. Dust collector - rated 15A runs 100% when some (TS, Jointer, planer) other tools are one
                  5. All other tools assuming they'll be used one at a time. I have tool triggered shop vacs on the BS and drill press.

you might also consider another circuit for air conditioning, and another if you have a freezer.

You needs may vary. I could probably save a circuit if I use the Table saw circuit for other tools - Jointer, planer, drill press, sander etc. since I'm a one man tool shop. But if you have high amperage tools or devices that have to be on continuously or may cycle on and off at will (think air conditioning, dust collectors, shop vacs, air compressors) then they would be best on their own circuits lest one comes on during the middle of a deep rip cut and trips the breaker.

You may want 240 for table saw if you have 2 HP or more or are thinking about upgrading, and for DC (mine is a bit underpowered for what is claimed to be a 2 HP unit); many consider you should have 2HP or more for this which really says 240V required.
                  A big 17" 2 HP bandsaw may benefit from 240V.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-02-2013, 11:15 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    The BT3x00 saw have an induction motor....
                    Pretty sure LCHIEN meant to say "universal" motor instead of induction....he's darn near perfect, so we'll let this one slide!
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Knottscott
                      Pretty sure LCHIEN meant to say "universal" motor instead of induction....he's darn near perfect, so we'll let this one slide!
                      thanks - fixed it.
                      thinking and typing seem to be two completely different things for me lately.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by paultnl
                        I have run my BT3000 for over 10 years in England using one of these http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-368259/f...FVMdtAodzkcASw
                        that's an excellent solution for using a 120V tool in Europe on 240VAC.

about $80...
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by paultnl
                          Is the 50 hz vs. 60 hz thing not an issue?
                          JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR
                            Is the 50 hz vs. 60 hz thing not an issue?
                            BT3x have universal motors. They run the same at 50 or 60 Hz and even on DC. RPMS are a function of load and voltage. Frequency is not an issue within these ranges.

Induction motors turn at a multiple of the line frequency. THose will behave differently on different frequencies. It will run 20% faster at 60 Hz than 50 Hz.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-02-2013, 04:28 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

Aha. I learned something.
                              JR

Comment

Working...